View topic image gallery

no more snowflakes (resized).jpg
20211111_150425 (resized).jpg
20211110_202044 (resized).jpg
20211026_143859 (resized).jpg
20211025_212953 (resized).jpg
20211018_082540 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I thought I'd document the destruction and rebuild of my Brunswick Aspen. Since it's completely dead (other than one light circuit) I don't have much to lose.

My plan is to start with getting the flippers to fire, as a pinball with no flippers is just plinko.

I have all of Ken Layton's switch matrix write ups, and the Arduino code from the Briarwood version that WillBot redid.

If I (with my 10 year old) can get it going, we're going to scrub it down and repaint it all into a personalized table documenting my poor life choices

20211018_082540 (resized).jpg20211018_082540 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Go for it!!

#3 2 years ago

Love it!

#4 2 years ago

That sounds cool as hell!

1 week later
#5 2 years ago

Update: got the flippers/slingshots/pop bumper to fire.
Ball return is still dead for the moment.

I had to replace a bridge rectifier and then I promptly broke the on/off switch.

Got my kid to replace the toggle switch. We put it in upside down oh well!

Got a Mega2560 in the mail today, so now we can start doing real damage.

20211025_212953 (resized).jpg20211025_212953 (resized).jpg20211026_143859 (resized).jpg20211026_143859 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

These machines are the perfect introduction for this kind of work.

Enjoy the journey.

#7 2 years ago

Ok. Got some relays, as my computer/robotics geek friends said that was the way to go to wire the Mega to the solonoids. The ball return solonoid would fire and get stuck energized while I ran the sketch.

I got mad. Ripped the relay out. Got some spade connectors, and now I have a functioning ball return, albeit with no scoring, sounds, or lights.

Regardless, it's not Plinko anymore.
Progress.

#8 2 years ago

I realize that I'm talking to myself, and I'm 100% ok with that.

Today I figured out why I couldn't get the relay to work (forgot to put the jumper between vcc and jdvcc. I still have ZERO idea why I need to do that, but it seems crucial, and it all works now, so who am I to question it.

After I got that to work, I managed to wire up the rollover switch from the ball return to the Arduino. Using the 'Button' sketch, I was able to get the rollover to tell the Arduino to switch the relay to fire the solenoid. I think my next task is going to be to get lights to turn on from the targets. That seems doable with the button sketch as well (with a little tweaking).

This feels like a huge accomplishment for me.

There are wires everywhere, and it's all held together with alligator clips.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ElleCayare:

I realize that I'm talking to myself, and I'm 100% ok with that.

Nah we’re listening too good progress! These arduino builds are pretty cool — you don’t need a lot of expensive boards to run a pin.. makes me wish I had tried this out to begin with. Makes homebrew pretty accessible to a fair amount of people if they were so inclined.

1 week later
#10 2 years ago

Today's progress:
6/8 bonus lights are hooked to the relays and can be controlled. I had a problem with the polarity being reversed, but flipping the spade connectors corrected it, once I troubleshot it.
I either totally schmucked both of the 7 segment LED displays I bought while soldering in the headers (highly likely) or got bad ones (less likely, but still possible), so I have some new ones on order (good thing they are cheap!).
I think my next step is to solder some leaders onto the switch wires so I can hook them to the Arduino.
I've got some perfboard on the way so I can play around with a board to run switches through.
For general illumination, I'm going to use some individually addressable LEDs.

20211110_202044 (resized).jpg20211110_202044 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

Deeeeesssssttttrrrrooooyyy

20211111_150425 (resized).jpg20211111_150425 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#12 2 years ago

Update: I figured out the 8 segment display. Also, no more snowflakes.

no more snowflakes (resized).jpgno more snowflakes (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elsie-s-folly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.