Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3AF26A43-3101-454C-A28B-7F2A66817C5E (resized).jpeg
all_first_part.gif
ballsaver-raw-Copy.gif
carcrash-raw-Copy.gif
image.jpg
There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 11 years ago

Hi all,
I have been posting this at RGP, but figured to drop it in here also since a lot of people have moved here. I am writing new code for DM using the freewpc platform and have a bunch of beta testers who are checking out the code also. It is still in beta (rev .60 as of today) but is pretty solid with 7 modes done, 4 multiballs, 3 wizard modes and 1 video mode so far. Plans are to have 2 additional video modes and shaker motor support.

#2 11 years ago

Very, very cool! I love it when new code is written. It brings new life to old games. Good job and welcome to pinside.

#3 11 years ago

This might make me want to keep my DM, which is on craigslist right now.

#4 11 years ago

James,

welcome to Pinside! Very excited to see your creativity in modifying an older game. Are you open to suggestions/commentary on things we see in the video?

Thanks,
EV

#5 11 years ago

This is really neat . What do you have to do to qualify for back in the fridge? I assume you had to rewrite all the original ruleset from scratch? Is demo time still there and do the claw modes still work like they did before?

#6 11 years ago

very cool, great job on this

#7 11 years ago

This looks great! If you need any more testers please let me know.

Very interested to get the new code once you are finished

#8 11 years ago

I look forward to this new code.
I've got this game on route and can tell ya the review
of my customers when ever it's done and I have it updated on route.

#9 11 years ago

Awesome - would love to try this out

#10 11 years ago

Neat stuff! I'm surprised we don't see more of this sort of thing. I'm guessing it must be pretty difficult, or we would.

#11 11 years ago

Sorry - I'm not too familiar with how this works, would this be a new set of roms? Or be run like PROC?

#12 11 years ago

rules are being written from scratch so many of the rules are the same as original but since they are rewritten may be slightly different. Other things are completely new. I am definatly open to suggestions or adding more beta testers. If you have a DM and are willing to try out the code then that is too cool. Send me an email. Also if you want to make suggestions just based o nthe video that is cool too. I want to make this very good so suggestions are definately welcome. This is not using PROC, which requires different boards, but freewpc which is basically a software engine written to work on existing hardware. Therefore all that is required is a rom swap, just like you would normally do to upgrade your game code. The only difference is that in my case the code is much larger so I am using a 27C080 instead of a 27C040 chip.

Here is a listing of what the rules are currently and what is currently working (this is kinda long):

as of version 0.60
Advance to claw modes as follows:
1) Light all 3 MTL rollovers to light the cryoclaw light at the left inlane. Rollover left inlane to open right ramp diverter to reach the claw. Lighting all 3 MTLs also increments bonus multiplier.
2) Complete the jet bumper goal to light cryoclaw.

Advance to multiball as follows:
1) Hit the required number of lit standup targets to light quick freeze at right inlane. Roll over right inlane to light quick freeze at left ramp. Hit left ramp to freeze ball. Freeze required number of balls to light multiball. Start multiball by shooting left orbit to top popper shot.
2) random computer award of maximize freezes

All 7 timed modes work as follow:
non claw mode - Explode: a 2 ball multiball which is started from eyeball shot. Mode is timed so doesn’t end with a single ball drain and will end even if you hold the 2 balls past the timeout. Mode lights explode inserts. Explosion sound effects. Display effect is building exploding with words on top.

non claw mode - Car Chase: similar to original mode. single ball timed mode started at car crash. Lights car chase inserts. Car race / skid sound effects along with Spartan voice calls. Display effect is various car chase scenes.

Claw mode – Acmag: similar to original mode. single ball timed mode started at claw. Score at center ramp shot an unlimited amount of times. Display effect is words with twinkling stars effect.

Claw mode – Standup Frenzy: this mode replaces the old freeze mode. single ball timed mode started at claw. Scores by hitting standup targets. Targets extinguish when hit and hitting all 5 will relight them. Similar to greed mode in TZ. Boing sound effects. Display effect is hand drawn spinning disks that explode when each standup is hit.

Claw mode – Capture Simon: similar to original mode. single ball timed mode started at claw. Shoot three lit arrows to capture Simon. sound effects is simon laughing then footsteps running away. Display effect is hand drawn picture of hand cuffs then footsteps.

Claw mode – Prison Breakout: this mode is different than the original. single ball timed mode started at claw. Like a fast scoring mode, hit any of the typical low value targets such as spinners, standups, or rebounds for big points. Display effect is various very short scenes from movie.

Claw mode – superjets: a 2 ball multiball- timed mode started at claw. Mode is timed so doesn’t end with a single ball drain and will end even if you hold the 2 balls past the timeout. Mode ends at either timeout or hitting required number of jets. Shoot jet bumpers for points, extra points if you complete mode by hitting certain amount of jets. Orchestra sound effect. Display effect is hand drawn jet ski that bounces higher when jet is hit.

Multiballs:
All 4 multiballs, fortress, museum, wasteland, and cryoprison work similar to original in that you must freeze an increasing amount of balls to reach each one: 2 for fortress, 3 for museum, etc.. If you freeze more than the required number of balls then you will get that many balls in the multiball. For each multiball, jackpot lights are randomly lit and in differing ways and amounts. all 4 MBs have different display effects and sound effects. For all of them, shooting 5 jackpots lights superjackpot at the right ramp.

Fortress Multiball: 2 ball (minimum) MB. starts with all jackpots lit, each time a jackpot is hit, less of them are relit randomly, after 4 jackpots only 1 will be lit.

Museum Multiball: 3 ball (minimum) MB. starts with 2 jackpots lit, each time a jackpot is hit relight randomly 2 jackpots.

Wasteland Multiball: 4 ball (minimum) MB. starts with all jackpots lit, each time a jackpot is hit relight randomly 3 jackpots.

Cryoprison Multiball: 5 ball MB. starts with all jackpots lit, each time a jackpot is hit relight randomly 3 jackpots.

Combos: – every 10 combos (starting at 10) lights the computer award. every 10 combos (starting at 5) enables video mode.

Computer award: collected at the underground shot and a random award is chosen. Display effect is hand drawn random squares followed by the specific effect for the award given.
CA – collect bonus: shows bonus.
CA – triple car crash: flashes car crash lights and makes zapp sound – done.
CA – collect standups: counts up score bonus of 500k per standup, flashes screen and makes zapp sound – done.
CA – light arrows: lights all arrows, flashes them and zapp sound – done.
CA – light extra ball: lights extra ball light – done.
CA – maximize freezes: flashes all freeze lights, zapp sound – done.
CA – double retina scan: flashes eyeball and retina scan lights and zapp sound – done.

Wizard modes:
Huxley – start at least 4 non-claw modes then make a huxley shot (backwards up left inlane to eject saucer) to start huxley mode. A single ball timed mode in which almost everything on the playfield is a 1 million point shot. Mode currently lasts 90 seconds.

Demolition Time – start 5 claw modes (can be any 5 and repeats are allowed) then started at underground shot. A 5 ball multiball where all jackpot shots are lit. no superjackpots though.

Back in the Fridge (BITF) – start 4 MBs to enable, then start the mode at the top popper shot. A 5 ball timed mode where all jackpot shots are lit and balls are continually fed for xx seconds (currently 60). After time out, flippers die and all balls drain, results are displayed, then normal ball play is restarted. Similar to LITZ on TZ?

Skill Sot:
There are 3 different skill shots.
1) shoot underground with upper left flipper off hard plunge – least points
2) shoot side ramp with upper left flipper off hard plunge – moderate points
3) shoot left ramp with lower right flipper off soft plunge – most points

Video Modes:
There is currently only 1 video mode written. Video mode is enabled by shooting the required number of combos; 5, 15, 25, etc. Once video mode enabled it can be obtained at the retina scan saucer, top popper or underground shot.

Kaboom! Video mode: collected at the top popper shot. Bombs are dropped from the top and must be caught by the player using a bucket. If all are caught then the player advances to the next level the next time this video mode is collected. Each level is faster and throws more bombs. After 5th level speed is fastest but distance between dropped bombs increases.

Video mode #2: not written yet, collected at retina scan saucer

Video mode #3: not written yet, collected at underground

#13 11 years ago

I would be happy to be a tester, let me know what you need from me. Keep up the good work!

#14 11 years ago

i would be interested in the new roms . i would love a deeper rule set for my dm

#15 11 years ago

Can you help Stern to finish the X-men software
Congratulation it's great job you do for the hobby

#16 11 years ago

i really like the display software you added. the modes add some more depth to the gameplay as well. i'm just wondering if these create more stop and go play though? great work! sure it took you hundreds of hours.

#17 11 years ago

Now all we need is for someone to release an alternate translite. This game is getting better, its getting better all the time.

#18 11 years ago

Kaboom mode should start with current level 3 and get harder.

2 weeks later
#19 11 years ago

@ the original author-

Thanks for adding me to the beta tester list! I haven't tried it yet in my DM, still waiting on 27c080 eproms to arrive in the mail.

After looking at the videos posted (with due respect) would it be possible to request a different font for the new features? Possibly use the font set from the original DM code? That is the only aspect that struck me as "homebrew-ish" from an aesthetic perspective.

Also, completely your call, but I would recommend jacking the difficulty up on "kaboom" video mode, and maybe have it do 10x bombs per round. Watching the youtube video, it seemed like too long of a break from the gameplay (in comparison to other WMS video modes). In the games I've played that feature video mode, it is usually over in <30 seconds.

Keep up the great work!!!

#20 11 years ago

My guess is that the font comes from the free wpc libraries.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from cpsystem3:

@ the original author-

Thanks for adding me to the beta tester list! I haven't tried it yet in my DM, still waiting on 27c080 eproms to arrive in the mail.

After looking at the videos posted (with due respect) would it be possible to request a different font for the new features? Possibly use the font set from the original DM code? That is the only aspect that struck me as "homebrew-ish" from an aesthetic perspective.

Also, completely your call, but I would recommend jacking the difficulty up on "kaboom" video mode, and maybe have it do 10x bombs per round. Watching the youtube video, it seemed like too long of a break from the gameplay (in comparison to other WMS video modes). In the games I've played that feature video mode, it is usually over in <30 seconds.

Keep up the great work!!!

I agree Bill. Original font is def needed. Bill and i are both avid DM fans so any thing either of is could offer please let myself and cpsystem3 know.

#22 11 years ago

Love my DM, think it's a really under rated game. Really interesting seeing all these changes and would love to get a copy of the new code when it's finished, hope your planning on selling it to DM owners

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

Love my DM, think it's a really under rated game. Really interesting seeing all these changes and would love to get a copy of the new code when it's finished, hope your planning on selling it to DM owners

+1

3 weeks later
#24 11 years ago

as to fonts - pretty much any true type font can be converted and put on the DMD but many don't look right at the 8 or 9 pixel display of a DMD. Currently there are about 8 or so fonts that default into freewpc and there is enough rom space to add another 5 or so fonts. Most of the default fonts are very plain block characters. The extra fonts I have chosen are not plain and look good on the dmd and are distributed across all the different modes. If I had my way, every mode would have its own font but there is definitely not enough space for that. If anyone can find a font that is similar to the original game and send it to me that would be much appreciated.

2 months later
#25 11 years ago

Any update on this??? I am getting my DM soon and would love to try this.

Thanks for the amazing effort!

2 months later
#26 10 years ago

Love what you're doing but no video modes please!

#27 10 years ago

TOO LATE - there are 3 video modes and I think you are in the minority as far as wanting them. In my code you can disable any or all of the video modes in the features menu so no problem for you.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

TOO LATE - there are 3 video modes and I think you are in the minority as far as wanting them. In my code you can disable any or all of the video modes in the features menu so no problem for you.

Are you sharing the code?

#29 10 years ago

right now it is in beta and I have a mailing list of beta testers - if you want to be one and have a burner let me know and I will add you to list and email you the code. Once all the beta testers are happy code will be released for free to public

1 week later
#30 10 years ago

Any new news on this?

#31 10 years ago

Active beta testing going on with regular releases...

Jaz

#32 10 years ago

the majority of my code is complete - lately have been going through and cleaning up some things that were not necessarily perfect in the freewpc engine - such as the way ball search and tilt were handled. Feel like I am 98% done but the last 2% has been taking longer than expected.

#33 10 years ago

yea I am testing the game still.. while testing the latest beta the other day i blew a diode and melted a coil and have been lazy to replace it.(likely due to the EOS issue with freeWPC)
request to please opensource the branch when your done so that the community can continue to fine tune things.

2 months later
#34 10 years ago

the majority of my code is complete - lately have been going through and cleaning up some things that were not necessarily perfect in the freewpc engine - such as the way ball search and tilt were handled. Feel like I am 98% done but the last 2% has been taking longer than expected.

How's that final 2% coming along? Great work so far!

#35 10 years ago

I don't know about everyone else, but for me testing has been put on hiatus. I've barely had a game on all summer...

Jaz

3 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

Does anyone have any news about how this venture is coming along. I am looking forward to this. I quite like DM depite it's unpopular status. Don't even really mind the 3 big heads.

Thanks.

#37 10 years ago

Wow... first I read on this one (I think). Is this for sale yet?

1 week later
#38 10 years ago

Hi,
game is pretty much done. I have been perfecting the shaker mode calls lately. But mostly minor, minor tweaks. The code will be free. If you have an eprom burner and a chip I can send you the code in email.

#39 10 years ago

The code will be free.

Magnanimous! Not to mention awesome, I had forgotten about your project!

If you're not selling them yourself, I presume you will allow services like John Wart's to burn them for us non-burner-owners?

(NGG next please!)

#40 10 years ago

Hi James, can you put meon the email list..I would buy a burner for that code!

#41 10 years ago

Edit: Jeesh, thought I was editing my last post!

#42 10 years ago

Hey all,
I don't have an eprom burner, but would gladly pay for the service to get a copy of this code if possible!

2 weeks later
#43 10 years ago

James, put me on your mailing list if you have one.

#44 10 years ago

I'm in the same boat, no burner but would gladly pay for one.

2 weeks later
#45 10 years ago

I just saw your other thread about what to work on next and found this thread.

Would love to hear on the current status as I'm getting a DM next week.

Thanks!

#46 10 years ago

Great! Don't forget to post a new video if you like.
(from a person who doesn't own a DM but is curious how the software has developped since the last time, though that's not always easy to show with just video)

#47 10 years ago

Hi all,
I am working through some stuff that I never paid much attention to in the code. Tilt for example - since I pretty much never tilt I ignored it for the most part but that needs to work obviously. Cleaning up search also. All the rest of the code is done.

I was working a ton of extra hours at work and am just finishing up a project tomorrow so I will be on this until completion for a few. Not much left really, but I will not commit to a time line - this is free work remember.

Concerning the shaker, I had played with the idea of building them to make a little bit of coin but I contacted PPS and they said they will be selling them once MMR comes out and they will be compatible so I dropped the idea - you can buy from them which is only right - they are good people. They told me to expect them to cost around 100$. By the way, I will be adding shaker support to NGG also and all the other games I recode.

I am looking into other mechanisms to add to games and am considering making some kind of boss gopher/ringmaster contraption for NGG - can't guarantee that will happen though. We'll see.

Thanks for all the support and good words. I go to the allentown show every year and live in New Jersey if anyone wants to connect and invite me over to play their games.
Jim

#48 10 years ago

Very cool of you, thanks for the update Can't wait!

#49 10 years ago

I think you should post a paypal address for donations...seriously if we can afford 8k pins, we can afford to make a donation for using your code.

PM sent for the rom chip.....

#50 10 years ago

PM sent also for when the chip is done. Thanks for your work. I'm sure it is a labor of love.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 85.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dm-new-rules-new-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.