Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7153 (resized).jpeg
    V2.1.1-manual-Screenshot 2024-03-01 084702 (resized).png
    V2.1.1-Screenshot 2024-03-01 083536 (resized).png
    IMG_20240115_132957064 (resized).jpg
    20240113_012302 (resized).jpg
    lamp_gnd (resized).png
    solenoid_gnd (resized).png
    20240107_095759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131532014_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240105_131527557 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 28.
    #1351 40 days ago

I am going to have to do some searching to find an SD card smaller than 32gb. At least locally. I have now tried 4 different 32 gb cards and 8 64gb cards, trying to get a booting LISY80. In most cases the LISY80 led goes green. In EVERY Case the pi blinks yellow and error blinks red AND the green led on the Pi goes solid. So it doesn't seem to actually be booting. I have three LISY80's built with 3 different Pies and all give the same results.

#1352 40 days ago

Night moves is not on the approved list. I’m guessing this is an oversight, but would like verification before getting into it.

Are these compatible with night moves?

#1353 40 days ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Night moves is not on the approved list. I’m guessing this is an oversight, but would like verification before getting into it.
    Are these compatible with night moves?

Not sure but when I can dig out my Night Moves I will test it. The LISY80 has worked awesome in other 80B games so I expect it will work ok.

#1354 40 days ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

In EVERY Case the pi blinks yellow and error blinks red AND the green led on the Pi goes solid. So it doesn't seem to actually be booting.

If it blinks, the Pi has definitively bootet! So its NOT because of the SD card.
    LISY checks at start if it can reach the three PICs, the blinking indicates problems with I2C bus.

Quoted from RandyW:

I have three LISY80's built with 3 different Pies and all give the same results.

As said, best to make a debug log ...

#1355 39 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

As said, best to make a debug log ...

I have tried numerous times to make a debug log. It refuses to do it. I set switch 7 to on, power it up and wait until the error light starts to blink.
    The Green LED on the pi itself is solid at this point. Pressing the switch S3 does nothing. The led on the pi never blinks and no debug log is ever written to the debug folder under lisy80.

#1356 39 days ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I have tried numerous times to make a debug log. It refuses to do it. I set switch 7 to on, power it up and wait until the error light starts to blink.

had you also a look at: /lisy/lisy/debug/lisy_debug_hw.txt ?

Which game do you use for testing? Do you have a display output?
    With a successfull programmed display PIC you shoud see 'wait for PI' immidiatly after switching on power

#1357 39 days ago

Yes I have. That file never updates either. I have been trying to get it to work in a Monte Carlo and no, no displays light up.
    I haven't been able to program any PICs as I can't get it to boot. I've lately been trying to get it to do the Debug on my bench with a 2 amp wall charger and USB cable. Still no luck.

#1358 39 days ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Yes I have. That file never updates either. I have been trying to get it to work in a Monte Carlo and no, no displays light up.
    I haven't been able to program any PICs as I can't get it to boot. I've lately been trying to get it to do the Debug on my bench with a 2 amp wall charger and USB cable. Still no luck.

I would carefully inspect the board for any solder bridges, etc. Also check the orientation of all parts and if they are the correct values.

I've never used the surface mount version but the regular LISY80 using through hole parts does work in Monte Carlo.

From what you're describing it sounds like there may be a HW problem on your particular board.

#1359 38 days ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I haven't been able to program any PICs as I can't get it to boot.

Ok, I was under the imagination that you already did proram the PICs, so forget what I told about I2C Bus error ...
    You need to program your PICs first.
    What is your DIP setting, did you follow Chapter 9.1 from the manual? https://lisy.dev/swrep/LISY/LISY_user%20manual_v5.28-latest.pdf
    There is also a video showing the programming process on LISY35, LISY80 is very similar
    https://lisy.dev/pic.html

#1360 32 days ago

No, I was following the quick start guide, and based on it, it seemed like it should be bootable prior to programming the PICs. So I am much further now, but no displays. So I have a bunch of work ahead of me.

Thank you all very much!

#1361 26 days ago

How do I find System 1 files for these games? I need help with making the SD card files. I guess it only works on one game at a time? You need a different SD file for each different game? Has anyone made up some files and shares them?

#1362 21 days ago

Before I put in an order, does anyone have a system 80 driver and display board for sale?

#1363 19 days ago

Hi,

I am having problems with a Rocky: it has a Lisy80 MPU, powersupply is ok and as driverboard, I used the Godri80 and the original driverboard with the same results.
    The fault: game starts, I can put credits on and start a game. Then nothings happen, the ball counter just goes from 1 to 3 and it' s game over. The weird part is, in test mode all the solenoids do work, I have no slam tilt and there is a ball in the outhole. If i manually remove the ball, it stops counting up until the ball is in the outhole again. During the time when the ball is out of the outhole, no solenoid is working when the corresponding switch is triggered.
    What am I missing ?

grtz

#1364 19 days ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

Hi,
    I am having problems with a Rocky: it has a Lisy80 MPU, powersupply is ok and as driverboard, I used the Godri80 and the original driverboard with the same results.
    The fault: game starts, I can put credits on and start a game. Then nothings happen, the ball counter just goes from 1 to 3 and it' s game over. The weird part is, in test mode all the solenoids do work, I have no slam tilt and there is a ball in the outhole. If i manually remove the ball, it stops counting up until the ball is in the outhole again. During the time when the ball is out of the outhole, no solenoid is working when the corresponding switch is triggered.
    What am I missing ?
    grtz

you should fire up the board with the lisy control enabled. Start a game and then put it on the switch test page and see what is registering. Try it with the ball in and out of the trough.

#1365 13 days ago

Just assembled two disp80 credit displays and getting nothing. Original display works fine. Used a 5261aw for the led. Its common cathode but wondering if it is wrong?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805466764518.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.6cc7f19cz3pgnz&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

This is running off a pascal board. I tested this in another game with 7 digit displays and my disp80 7 digits work in it, but not the 4 digit. Gonna just order the recommended locn led digits.

Also, got a good source for the led digits for 6 digit displays? The link on your website is bad.

#1366 12 days ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

you should fire up the board with the lisy control enabled. Start a game and then put it on the switch test page and see what is registering. Try it with the ball in and out of the trough.

Thanks, finally got the time to check it out; one of the tilt switches was always closed. Now i can start a game.

#1367 11 days ago
    Quoted from dung:

Just assembled two disp80 credit displays and getting nothing. Original display works fine. Used a 5261aw for the led. Its common cathode but wondering if it is wrong?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805466764518.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.6cc7f19cz3pgnz&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I checked datasheets provided on Aliexpress, should work.
    Did you check the brightness control and the 5261aw itself?

Quoted from dung:

Also, got a good source for the led digits for 6 digit displays? The link on your website is bad.

Link does work for me, which one did you use?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1368 10 days ago

Having a weird display issue with 1.31 PCBs on a Bally Frontier.

All displays are off until I take off and put the furthest right jumper (left block) back on.

Then the display is only on for about 5 seconds. Taking the jumper off and putting it back on does the same thing, all displays.

I was thinking a solder bridge perhaps or bad solder joint, but maybe it's not that?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9KzWJCWDNGhrNUsf_IorLjOxBaaEl2y/view?usp=sharing

#1369 10 days ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Having a weird display issue with 1.31 PCBs on a Bally Frontier.
    All displays are off until I take off and put the furthest right jumper (left block) back on.
    Then the display is only on for about 5 seconds. Taking the jumper off and putting it back on does the same thing, all displays.
    I was thinking a solder bridge perhaps or bad solder joint, but maybe it's not that?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9KzWJCWDNGhrNUsf_IorLjOxBaaEl2y/view?usp=sharing

Are the displays supposed to work on Stern too? If so, how is the 7th digit connected? Some LED displays connect pins 11 and 12 together so it will work in with Bally or Stern. But that causes issues on some games.

#1370 10 days ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are the displays supposed to work on Stern too? If so, how is the 7th digit connected? Some LED displays connect pins 11 and 12 together so it will work in with Bally or Stern. But that causes issues on some games.

I didn't read much up on it, but there's some sort of mod needed to get 6 digit games to work in 7 digit mode (Bally).

The leftmost jumpers (three of them) are either on the 7 digit (mod) style (top), or 6/7 (bottom).

Same action I get either 7 or 6/7 jumpered.

#1371 10 days ago

Oh, furthermore - with Fuse 2 in on the rectifier board, the OG displays work just fine.

#1372 10 days ago
    Quoted from pb456:

With 1.31 check the trace on the bottom (upper side) of the PCB. I had feedback that JLC sometimes 'cut' this trace during the assembly process.
    With latest v1.40 I moved this trace to the inner PCB.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Yes, pin11 & 12 are connected on my displays. Can you explain a little bit more about the issue?
    Which games are affected and why?

#1373 10 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Yes, pin11 & 12 are connected on my displays. Can you explain a little bit more about the issue?
    [quoted image]

Bally uses pin 12 for Digit 7 and Stern uses pin 11 for Digit 7. Normally pin 11 isn't used on Bally and pin 12 isn't use on Stern so often you can get away with just tying pins 11 and 12 together to make it more of a universal display.

Unfortunately the "unused" pins aren't always unused. I don't know if Stern ever did anything with the unused pin 12 but Bally does use pin 11 on some games. In particular Mr and Mrs Pacman used it to route another display signal to pin 11. Probably to make cabling easier and they knew it was safe since pin 11 wasn't connected to anything. It is only became a problem when LED replacement displays became common and then pins 11 and 12 were tied together. The fix is to either pop out the pin 11 on the display connectors on the affected game or just cut and separate pins 11 and 12 and use a jumper on the display so that only pin 11 or pin 12 is connected. I ran into this myself on a Mr and Mrs Pacman. I had heard there is at least one other game that did this but am not sure of the title.

It would be nice to see pins 11 and 12 brought out to a .100" jumper to select which pin should drive the 7th digit. That would eliminate the issue completely. Could use a jumper on a .100" 3 pin header ro just solder a strap in place.

#1374 9 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

With 1.31 check the trace on the bottom (upper side) of the PCB. I had feedback that JLC sometimes 'cut' this trace during the assembly process.
    With latest v1.40 I moved this trace to the inner PCB.

[quoted image]

I have verified from pin 20 to the 'test hole' I have continuity. Is this what you're asking?

IMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpgIMG_20240419_182939364 (resized).jpg
    #1375 9 days ago
    Quoted from pb456:

Is this what you're asking?

Yes, but on your picture I see what your problem is. The trimmer for the brightness control (dimmer) is not assembled!
    At the time you ordered your displays they may be 'out of stock' and you did not notice.
    The trimmer is available at digikey
    https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/bourns-inc/3314J-1-103E/86580?s=N4IgTCBcDaIMxwIwBYBSBaRmAMcCiIAugL5A
    you may also add C6 ( 100uF Elko). It will work without C6 but I would recommend to add it
    https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/cornell-dubilier-illinois-capacitor/107TTA010M/5410812

#1376 8 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Yes, but on your picture I see what your problem is. The trimmer for the brightness control (dimmer) is not assembled!
    At the time you ordered your displays they may be 'out of stock' and you did not notice.
    https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/bourns-inc/3314J-1-103E/86580?s=N4IgTCBcDaIMxwIwBYBSBaRmAMcCiIAugL5A
    you may also add C6 ( 100uF Elko). It will work without C6 but I would recommend to add it
    https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/cornell-dubilier-illinois-capacitor/107TTA010M/5410812
    [quoted image]

Dang! I didn't spot that!

I will get those added and post back.

#1377 8 days ago
    Quoted from bontango:

[quoted image]

Can confirm, my derp was on full show when I assembled these. I think it wasl JLPCB, and I had the 10K trimmer pots and caps.

All good in the 'hood.

Thanks bontango !

IMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpgIMG_20240420_121107900 (resized).jpg
    #1378 8 days ago

Oh, and also I have to redesign the 3d printed 'baffle' for these displays as mine was done WITHOUT the cap or trim pot in mind Or just cut the holes with an x-acto.

#1379 7 days ago

I did. I took a hammer to it. I had hard soldered the pi zero in and the usb slot broke so it wouldnt run. I desoldered it and pulled a trace. Ran a jumper, but from that point on I could not get the programmer to detect the pic chip. Honestly, I am wasting more time on it than its worth so I am just going to buy one.

#1380 7 days ago
    Quoted from dung:

Honestly, I am wasting more time on it than its worth so I am just going to buy one.

Understandable. I recommend using a PICKIT clone together with the free software 'pickitminus'
    https://lisy.dev/pickit-3.html
    works great

There are 1,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.