feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 148.
#5401 4 months ago

Everything looks real good so far imo. The one thing that seems to slip through the cracks when judging games is Atmosphere, and this team is incredible at it. They really blend sounds, lights and rules together better than any other. IMDN with FotD lights out mode, GZ’s DJP shot, JP’s Raptor tri ball start, are just some to mention. They know when to cut the lights, when to blind you, and when to build tension with all of the above. Really happy for everyone that has ordered already, I have no doubt you got a good one. I need some time before joining and can’t wait for another pin reveal to draw the eye of Sauron away so we can discuss Jaws’s shots and coding .

#5402 4 months ago

I was referring to Gary Stern.

#5403 4 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Will Jaws have DLC!?!
DLC... lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Here some more unanswered questions-
How does one "purchase" DLC when playing on site? Bill acceptor? Does the content stay with me and my account or with the machine I purchased it on? If I buy a "power up" mid game, does it grant the same p/u to other players in order to make it fair, or do they have to pony the mony just to remain on an even playfield? Can I buy my way to the top of the leader board? If new modes are d/l'ed, how do you know when they are available, or what shots are what? Do the rules change? Mid game? Lets say I purchase a new KotM mode for GZ, is this mode only available for me to play or can all players utilize it when logging in with me? Can I use it on any GZ machine? Can an operator block me from using my DLC on their machine? Who pays for the net traffic, site owners? Who gets a piece of the action? Do ops get any kickback from DLC? Seems fair if they are footing the internet bill and pay for the bandwidth. Who can sell DLC for Stern machines, only Stern? Does my warranty cover bad DLC? Does DLC have any warranty for usability and any bug control? How does DLC affect local pricing, can the player pay for DLC that makes it easier to score specials or extra balls, or earn free games? Does the operators see any of this cash stream?
Looks like a lot of lawyering needs done to figure out some of this.... and now back to your regularly scheduled hype thread...

You'll pay for a subscription on the app on your phone.

#5404 4 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

every release. DLC DLC Stern are going to milk us to death.

I am lactose intolerant

#5405 4 months ago

I too wasn't impressed with the official release and short gameplay
wanted a ball eating shark (like most of us wanted) and a locking multiball mech, just something with a bit of wow besides a moving fin decal target

But with Keith, I'm sure the code will only improve and within a year or 2 it will be another one of his greats.

I'm still in on a Le (Only because it was my dream theme), MadMax would be another Le if or ever it happens.

#5406 4 months ago

is it me or does the topic heartbeat look like a shark fin?

#5407 4 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Um...are you confused?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looney-tunes-hype-thread/page/25#post-7975197
Sharks+People getting eaten="Comedy and fun written all over it."

Sorry I thought I was posting in the looney tunes thread ….my bad

#5408 4 months ago
download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#5409 4 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

[quoted image]

Thats classic!! Lol

#5410 4 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

[quoted image]

Best image yet

#5412 4 months ago

The crazy thing is there is the option to not play the 3d mode at all. You seem like a really happy person, so thank you for stopping by to share!

#5413 4 months ago

Imagine having an identity so fragile that a pair of plastic glasses threatens to dismantle it

#5414 4 months ago

Funny how people give Steve Richie and John Borg so much criticism for recycling Playfield designs that are proven winners. Now we have the best designer ever creating innovative designs for each game and people are upset because it's different or not what they pictured in their minds? Sure he could make it a rehash of Godzilla layout or have it eat the ball like in Jurassic Park but then we wouldn't be getting something new. I don't give two shits whether the shark eats the ball or not. The layout on this looks fun and fast and I like the upper Playfield. I also like the randomness and not to mention the reliability of a shark bash toy. Can't wait to play it.

#5415 4 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

It's an Elwin. Will be a hit, not a sleeper. The amount of writing this game off early and from afar is bizarre and comical.

Avengers Infinity Quest enters the chat...

#5416 4 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

Game seems to have sold well and still is being made. It has very mixed opinions about it of course but it still is a very common game to find in most arcades and it's been run for a long time now.

#5417 4 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

so...I don't have a ton of time on that game, but I actually liked it. Never understood the hate.

#5418 4 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

so...I don't have a ton of time on that game, but I actually liked it. Never understood the hate.

Elwin's best layout imo, shoots like butter. The theme falls flat.

#5419 4 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny how people give Steve Richie and John Borg so much criticism for recycling Playfield designs that are proven winners. Now we have the best designer ever creating innovative designs for each game and people are upset because it's different or not what they pictured in their minds? Sure he could make it a rehash of Godzilla layout or have it eat the ball like in Jurassic Park but then we wouldn't be getting something new. I don't give two shits whether the shark eats the ball or not. The layout on this looks fun and fast and I like the upper Playfield. I also like the randomness and not to mention the reliability of a shark bash toy. Can't wait to play it.

I think Pat Lawlor is still the goat, elwin hasn't been around long enough to be the greatest of all time

#5420 4 months ago
Quoted from wayout440:

We also don't need the whiners about 25 cent 3D glasses. If I'm spending ten grand on a game, I'll buy a 10 pack of nice $2 glasses too. I spend that much on a good 12 pack of beer. It's not something to cry about.

I never said a single thing about 3d glasses. I said old farts probably won't be on board for DLC.

#5421 4 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I never said a single thing about 3d glasses. I said old farts probably won't be on board for DLC.

What’s the numerical cutoff for old fart?

#5422 4 months ago

Avengers would be great with better easier to understand code, callouts and animations. stern could fix that but won’t. Sold mine.

#5423 4 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

What's funny to me is this Pinside redundancy syndrome (PRS), where in every hype thread, criticism comes from "complainers" and the non-complainers incessantly complain about the complainers.

#5424 4 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

What’s the numerical cutoff for old fart?

I'd say, maybe 1978? Give it take?

#5425 4 months ago

Remember the hype threads: “let me guess - the shark is going to eat the ball like JP”, with all sarcasm. Can you imagine the comments if it did: “wow, a rehash of JP. Keith could not do something different. So predictable.”

#5426 4 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'd say, maybe 1978? Give it take?

Well then........

#5427 4 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

It’s a great layout. Fast and Fun!!

#5428 4 months ago

The game looks like a fun shooter, but the chum bucket is kind of a lousy toy. I can see that they built the code around shark encounters and chumming the water but I think the buoy would have been a more fun target with a nice bell ring on each hit and could still work towards shark encounters. Also a harpoon gun (aka crossbow walking dead) could have been fun to hit the shark and add barrels, but I suppose that may be tiresome with a single target.

#5429 4 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

Top 20 game of all time (per pinside) = hit

#5430 4 months ago

now i wish the ball fell in the chum bucket…. can we get a mod?

#5431 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

The game looks like a fun shooter, but the chum bucket is kind of a lousy toy. I can see that they built the code around shark encounters and chumming the water but I think the buoy would have been a more fun target with a nice bell ring on each hit and could still work towards shark encounters. Also a harpoon gun (aka crossbow walking dead) could have been fun to hit the shark and add barrels, but I suppose that may be tiresome with a single target.

think the chum bucket is more of an aesthetic than a toy. Buoy would be fun not not sure how that would work thematically

#5432 4 months ago

JP
GZ
Jaws
AIQ
IMDN
Bond 60th

In that order. Best games of all time. Not even close. Everything else in pinball is a distant 2nd.

Jaws will probably leap frog JP and GZ soon as the game rolls out and the hype train picks up.

#5433 4 months ago

Can I use these IC badges to stroll into Stern’s new lounge area and get my 15 minutes in?

#5434 4 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Can I use these IC badges to stroll into Stern’s new lounge area and get my 15 minutes in?

blazin-saddles-we-dont-need-badges.gifblazin-saddles-we-dont-need-badges.gif
#5435 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Trying to hit the moving shark fin with a moving crossbow sounds more frustrating than fun

TWD Premium is an all time great game, but the crossbow is the most forgettable part after a few games.

#5436 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Trying to hit the moving shark fin with a moving crossbow sounds more frustrating than fun
TWD Premium is an all time great game, but the crossbow is the most forgettable part after a few games.

But not the worst part (bicycle girl pop-up)

#5437 4 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

But not the worst part (bicycle girl pop-up)

I like the bicycle girl bash toy. Makes the game even harder

Kinda disappointing none of the zombies eat the ball though. Pfft

#5438 4 months ago

I write the following as a HUGE supporter of this game and someone who has an LE already purchased and is very excited to get it......

So I heard a certain podcast today complain about why are people so mad about Jaws right now. They said pinside is super shallow b/c all we want is a mech and we're just closed minded or as one of them mentioned - just don't get pinball or geometry or physics. PLEASE!

Just b/c Keith says they tried it and it sucked doesn't mean the community can't second guess it. Do you know why so many are questioning it? Not b/c we don't like keith but b/c Stern is cheap, charges 13k for an LE and who knows - maybe it was the BOM that was the issue? Ever think of questioning these companies instead of always just taking it?

And no - cool shots with awesome combos are NOT TOYS. They are not MECHs. That is a cheap cop out that BUY BUY BUY wants you to believe. Sorry - we're not idiots.

And no - toys like thing on TAF shouldn't be dismissed b/c it gets "boring" after awhile. Another misguided comment from tournament players who just want a score but lose the fact that pinball is so much more than that.

Why can't we get it all guys? Why can't they put in the amazing shots, code AND ALSO MECHS to an A theme?

And that is the main question for pinball right now. I still think this game will be awesome and I do think Stern delivered, as what mechs are in it seem to integrate well. I'm expecting FOR ME to like it better than Godzilla b/c it's a dream theme with a dream designer but for me to dismiss the frustration I read about it and say it's the community 100% but not stern? That's just ridiculous. The more balance the better.

#5439 4 months ago

I’m also in on an LE. Theme locked this in, I had NO choice.

Elwin grew up on Jaws as most of us did. Assets galore. Plenty of Quint-isms to satisfy. Dry-fus anyone? Check.

As for gameplay? I’ll see when I play it myself. I need this to be grand. If it’s not, I blame no one but myself for supporting cheap bom and boring design and I’ll have to live with that decision.

#5440 4 months ago

I think part of the issue here is that the mechs/interactive components Elwin could have integrated on this game, well, he's already done them on his other games.

Shark eats ball: JP T-Rex
Fire ball into shark's mouth: IMDN jump ramp
Sinking Orca: GZ building

The dude is a victim of his own success, but this game should play well. Shark popping up in different locations on the playfield coulda been cool, though.

#5441 4 months ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I think part of the issue here is that the mechs/interactive components Elwin could have integrated on this game, well, he's already done them on his other games.
Shark eats ball: JP T-Rex
Fire ball into shark's mouth: IMDN jump ramp
Sinking Orca: GZ building
The dude is a victim of his own success, but this game should play well. Shark popping up in different locations on the playfield coulda been cool, though.

DE JP Dino eats the ball (and swallows!)

DE Robocop has a jump ramp. NGG has a jump ramp and target. Old EMs had bullseye targets

GZ Building = time expander on Dr Who

But the moving drop target? Gotta give Elwin and co full credit for that one.

#5442 4 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m also in on an LE. Theme locked this in, I had NO choice.
Elwin grew up on Jaws as most of us did. Assets galore. Plenty of Quint-isms to satisfy. Dry-fus anyone? Check.
As for gameplay? I’ll see when I play it myself. I need this to be grand. If it’s not, I blame no one but myself for supporting cheap bom and boring design and I’ll have to live with that decision.

People who played the premium/LE really liked it, even on early code. That's good enough for me.

#5443 4 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I write the following as a HUGE supporter of this game and someone who has an LE already purchased and is very excited to get it......
So I heard a certain podcast today complain about why are people so mad about Jaws right now. They said pinside is super shallow b/c all we want is a mech and we're just closed minded or as one of them mentioned - just don't get pinball or geometry or physics. PLEASE!
Just b/c Keith says they tried it and it sucked doesn't mean the community can't second guess it. Do you know why so many are questioning it? Not b/c we don't like keith but b/c Stern is cheap, charges 13k for an LE and who knows - maybe it was the BOM that was the issue? Ever think of questioning these companies instead of always just taking it?
And no - cool shots with awesome combos are NOT TOYS. They are not MECHs. That is a cheap cop out that BUY BUY BUY wants you to believe. Sorry - we're not idiots.
And no - toys like thing on TAF shouldn't be dismissed b/c it gets "boring" after awhile. Another misguided comment from tournament players who just want a score but lose the fact that pinball is so much more than that.
Why can't we get it all guys? Why can't they put in the amazing shots, code AND ALSO MECHS to an A theme?
And that is the main question for pinball right now. I still think this game will be awesome and I do think Stern delivered, as what mechs are in it seem to integrate well. I'm expecting FOR ME to like it better than Godzilla b/c it's a dream theme with a dream designer but for me to dismiss the frustration I read about it and say it's the community 100% but not stern? That's just ridiculous. The more balance the better.

I said something similar on a comment on that podcast. It's $13k! That's $4k more than an IM. Do we really see $4k worth of improvements? Yes it's Kieth the shots and code will be amazing. But for $13k ALSO add in astounding mechs/toys and spend the extra time/money engineering a ball eating shark that IS fun. As they said themselves it's what their first thought (and everyone's expectation) was.

#5444 4 months ago

That’s a joke right? The moving target schtick was done years ago.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

DE Robocop has a jump ramp. NGG has a jump ramp and target. Old EMs had bullseye targets

IMG_0658 (resized).jpegIMG_0658 (resized).jpeg

#5445 4 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Meh, I take the side of Pinsiders being shallow and closed-minded.

I'm always of the mindset to think "Wow! Look what we got!" rather than "Wow! Look what we didn't get!" <-- I know lots of these people. They're rarely happy. It's because their expectations aren't realistic. They think they know everything there is to know about a hobby (which they don't), make a bunch of assumptions, and then get mad and confused when their uneducated guesses fail to pan out.

You ever watch a movie on DVD and then go through all the deleted scenes? Are those scenes trash? Well, sometimes they look and sound like shit because they cut them before the colorists and sound mixers got a hold of them, but chances are, they're solid ideas, or else they would never have wasted set fees, actor day rates, lighting crews, film, catering, transportation etc.

The reason these scenes get cut is because they usually drag the pace of the movie down, or make it too long, or clogs the audience's brains with too much exposition.

A movie needs to flow, just like a pinball machine. Just like the movies, sometimes a cool idea can kill the pace of a pinball machine.

The ball-eating shark is a fine idea. Seems cool on paper, and it sounds like Keith actually tried it, but didn't like it. At the end of the day, it's his decision, and not Stern's, in terms of what things get added to a machine and what things get cut. Could another designer have figured out a way to make it work? Sure. But I wouldn't have bought that game. The only reason I preordered a Jaws premium is because Keith is the designer, and has proven time and time again to be far-and-away, the best pinball designer active today.

Also, a ball-eating shark simply isn't as cool as a ball-eating T-rex. So how is Stern "cheap" if they're still running JP premiums at the same price?

And as a previous owner of Jurassic Park premium, I wasn't terribly sad to see my finnicky ball-eating T-rex go... but maybe that's the key difference here: Those of us who've experienced our balls being eaten aren't exactly eager to jump back into those waters.

#5446 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Not saying he innovated these things, just that he's already done some of the Jaws-y tricks in his other games. I can see why he wouldn't want to just run them back.

#5447 4 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That’s a joke right? The moving target schtick was done years ago.

[quoted image]

The Buck is a moving standup target, not a drop target

#5448 4 months ago
Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

I said something similar on a comment on that podcast. It's $13k! That's $4k more than an IM. Do we really see $4k worth of improvements? Yes it's Kieth the shots and code will be amazing. But for $13k ALSO add in astounding mechs/toys and spend the extra time/money engineering a ball eating shark that IS fun. As they said themselves it's what their first thought (and everyone's expectation) was.

That’s about a 35% increase or so? Seems like everything is 35% more than 5 years ago. Eggs were what, a buck fifty or so 5 years ago. then they went over $4 before falling back down. Gas, cars, homes? Everything seems to cost more than 5 years ago. I figure pinball is no different.

#5449 4 months ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Not saying he innovated these things, just that he's already done some of the Jaws-y tricks in his other games. I can see why he wouldn't want to just run them back.

Yeah. I just wanted to emphasize the actual new mech. People are so hung up about the shark they don’t see Stern put a very unique and cool mech into a pro model game.

#5450 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Buck is a moving standup target, not a drop target

And I think the drop target can pop up from anywhere along the path, not just at the ends.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet Parts
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Waukee, IA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 169.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 210.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cosmic Mods

$ 90.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

12,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dublin, OH
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dah-dumjaws-hype-thread/page/109 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.