IMG_9805 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9800 (resized).PNG
IMG_9798 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9799 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9720 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9744 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9728 (resized).JPEG
#1 3 months ago

Picked this up at auction last summer for a grand total of $40. She's a dirty girl.

IMG_4601 (resized).JPEGIMG_4601 (resized).JPEG
70701353112__7BE6E91C-92B1-4384-8475-F61E29461B30 (resized).JPEG70701353112__7BE6E91C-92B1-4384-8475-F61E29461B30 (resized).JPEG

Glass is toast.

IMG_8222 (resized).JPEGIMG_8222 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8226 (resized).JPEGIMG_8226 (resized).JPEG

Displays are questionable.

IMG_8228 (resized).JPEGIMG_8228 (resized).JPEG

Boards look good.

IMG_8229 (resized).JPEGIMG_8229 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8230 (resized).JPEGIMG_8230 (resized).JPEG

Cab is good, though the bottom is delaminated.

IMG_8231 (resized).JPEGIMG_8231 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8232 (resized).JPEGIMG_8232 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8233 (resized).JPEGIMG_8233 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8234 (resized).JPEGIMG_8234 (resized).JPEG

Steve Young to the rescue:

IMG_8241 (resized).JPEGIMG_8241 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8240 (resized).JPEGIMG_8240 (resized).JPEG

Random parts in the box:

IMG_8242 (resized).JPEGIMG_8242 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8243 (resized).JPEGIMG_8243 (resized).JPEG

Missing some stuff:

IMG_8248 (resized).JPEGIMG_8248 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8257 (resized).JPEGIMG_8257 (resized).JPEG

Stripped the playfield, almost all the way.

IMG_8287 (resized).JPEGIMG_8287 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8288 (resized).JPEGIMG_8288 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8289 (resized).JPEGIMG_8289 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8290 (resized).JPEGIMG_8290 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8291 (resized).JPEGIMG_8291 (resized).JPEG

Going to work through this playfield at the same time as my Blue Max project. Saves time and materials costs to clear coat 2 at once. Wish me luck. My first System 1.

IMG_8278 (resized).JPEGIMG_8278 (resized).JPEG
#2 3 months ago
Quoted from RightNut:

Picked this up at auction last summer for a grand total of $40. She's a dirty girl.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Glass is toast.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Displays are questionable.
[quoted image]
Boards look good.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Cab is good, though the bottom is delaminated.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Steve Young to the rescue:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Random parts in the box:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Missing some stuff:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Stripped the playfield, almost all the way.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Going to work through this playfield at the same time as my Blue Max project. Saves time and materials costs to clear coat 2 at once. Wish me luck. My first System 1.
[quoted image]

Great deal and project for you.!!

#3 3 months ago

Outstanding 16 drop System 1 that is always worth saving. It's an excellent tournament game as well. What a steal!

Those old BGs are usually all blown out as that blue plaint usually flaked off, so get a replacement from Coos. I purchased his mirrored version & it is absolutely gorgeous.

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

You can also look into the all-in-one board solution as well... with added features like skill shot, ball save, high score initials, rule options, lightshows & added protections.

https://www.flippp.fr/pi1x4.php

#4 3 months ago

Looks worth doing. Didn't they make and EM version?
Good deal,I would have bought it.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Looks worth doing. Didn't they make and EM version?
Good deal,I would have bought it.

Space Walk is the em version.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Space Walk is the em version.

Got one for sale?
I’m a buyer!!!!!!!!!!

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Got one for sale?
I’m a buyer!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry , I do not. Rare tile for sure.

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Sorry , I do not. Rare tile for sure.

Hahaha yeah I know

#9 3 months ago

That's dirty all right. Funny years ago I had Count-Down and was done with the game. No longer fun wanted something else. Clearing the left and the right side banks in two passes. I could call it and knock them down. I took a while to get rid of it. Tried a few different trade deals and only got one to stick then. It was the dog in pinball then. Now its hot stuff go figure. Maybe should go out to a tournament and so the young guns how its done.

#10 3 months ago

Great pickup! I also picked up a countdown this summer for $300 and after a shop job and some tweeking it is up and running. Really fun game to play.

#11 3 months ago

Can't wait to see some pics of the playfield after you get done restoring it!

#12 3 months ago

Following....buckling up for a wild ride

#13 3 months ago

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions, everyone!

I'll spare you some of the gory details, but I finished what playfield part removal I'm going to do for this one this weekend.

As I started:
IMG_8394 (resized).JPEGIMG_8394 (resized).JPEG

About the end:
IMG_8413 (resized).JPEGIMG_8413 (resized).JPEG

Eat it, star rollovers (save the inserts, you'll need them later):
IMG_8417 (resized).JPEGIMG_8417 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8418 (resized).JPEGIMG_8418 (resized).JPEG

Saves me a chore, mylar was toast:
IMG_8419 (resized).JPEGIMG_8419 (resized).JPEG

After:
IMG_8420 (resized).JPEGIMG_8420 (resized).JPEG

Next, flipped it over and cleaned the shiznat out of the inserts. Qtips and spit, if you're wondering. I also checked them all. They were all still seated in place very securely.
IMG_8421 (resized).JPEGIMG_8421 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8423 (resized).JPEGIMG_8423 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8424 (resized).JPEGIMG_8424 (resized).JPEG

Next is where we kind of follow my misunderstandings and complete half-assing of the stuff vid1900 lays out in his "ultimate guide to playfield restoration" thread. This is my 4th such attempt. The others turned out beautifully. It should be noted that if you go much farther than this and don't apply new clear coat, you're going to ruin your machine.

First, to make sure that the inserts stay put after we clear coat, I put a bead of epoxy around the lip of the insert and wood interface. Take care not to get any on the lens as you'll be able to see it when it's lit up, especially on clear ones.
IMG_8426 (resized).JPEGIMG_8426 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8427 (resized).JPEGIMG_8427 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8428 (resized).JPEGIMG_8428 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8429 (resized).JPEGIMG_8429 (resized).JPEG

Before flipping it over, I like to put painter's tape over the bottom of all the playfield penetrations to keep stuff, polish, clear, etc. from dripping down and getting all over everything.
IMG_8431 (resized).JPEGIMG_8431 (resized).JPEG

Finally, here's where we start with a bare playfield:
IMG_8433 (resized).JPEGIMG_8433 (resized).JPEG

Hit it with naphtha to clean all the surface dirt, wax, etc. off before starting more aggressive negotiations. Round 1, 2, and 3.
IMG_8433 (resized).JPEGIMG_8433 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8437 (resized).JPEGIMG_8437 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8438 (resized).JPEGIMG_8438 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8440 (resized).JPEGIMG_8440 (resized).JPEG

Then started the fun part. I've done this a number of times and this game fought me the entire way. It had been rode hard. The ball swirls are all the way down into the paint. Poor thing. It was brutal. Can you tell which half I did before deciding I was tired and giving up for the day??
IMG_8441 (resized).JPEGIMG_8441 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8442 (resized).JPEGIMG_8442 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8443 (resized).JPEGIMG_8443 (resized).JPEG

Be careful when finding out that the ball swirls actually go all the way through the clear coat into the paint. Wipe, good. Wipe, oooh, pretty. Wipe, great! Wipe, oh, shit, bare wood. At least it's, like, not in the center of the playfield where people will notice it. I think I'm going to have to take a dremel to the bonus ladder inserts. They're just not coming clean and the uneven discoloration is driving me nuts.
IMG_8445 (resized).JPEGIMG_8445 (resized).JPEG

We'll finish the other half next time.

Old clear coat all over my hands. Badge of honor!!
IMG_8446 (resized).JPEGIMG_8446 (resized).JPEG

#14 3 months ago

Nice to follow i haw a coundown looking eaqualy sad as yours on my waiting list when my Buck Rogers is done.
One thing i noticed is that on all Gottlieb System 1 playfields i hawe workd on the glue for the inserst have all been like gum.
dont know if is allways that way or just coincidence. as a rule i always try to press them out with my thumb and amazingly 90% just popp out.
that said i think its good to fully remove them and reglue. and in th countdown case ther is no text to recreate so sanding them flat is easy when they are out

1 week later
#15 3 months ago

More pics of dirty Countdown, please

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from Mattsson:

Nice to follow i haw a coundown looking eaqualy sad as yours on my waiting list when my Buck Rogers is done.
One thing i noticed is that on all Gottlieb System 1 playfields i hawe workd on the glue for the inserst have all been like gum.
dont know if is allways that way or just coincidence. as a rule i always try to press them out with my thumb and amazingly 90% just popp out.
that said i think its good to fully remove them and reglue. and in th countdown case ther is no text to recreate so sanding them flat is easy when they are out

I'll check them again. They all seemed to be pretty well seated, but better safe than sorry. I didn't get too aggressive trying to push them out.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

More pics of dirty Countdown, please

Haha. It's on the list. Last weekend it was in the 20s outside and there's no heat in the garage. I was being lazy. The weekend before that, I participated in the Houston Marathon Weekend events. It was just exhausting as I forgot to train for it.

Hopefully I'll get out there this weekend and make some more progress. I have a plan to fix all the missing paint, but I've never tried to get that in depth with repairing paint before. We'll see how bad I can mess it up.

2 weeks later
#18 81 days ago

progress pics coming soon?

#19 81 days ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

progress pics coming soon?

I hope so! I'm having a bit of a tough time making a decision. I've heard a rumor that new playfields may or may not, maybe be in production. I could do that or I could spend 30 hours fixing this and it'd still look like crap.

#20 77 days ago

Managed to do a little work this weekend. Still not 100% sure where I'm going with this, but she's still a dirty girl.

Cleans up nice, kinda:
IMG_8757 (resized).JPEGIMG_8757 (resized).JPEG

After cleaning the whole playfield:
IMG_8758 (resized).JPEGIMG_8758 (resized).JPEG

It's hard to get a picture of what I'm talking about. The ball swirls are all the way through the paint. All over the playfield. Short of re-painting the whole thing, I'm not really sure how to make it look decent:

IMG_8760 (resized).JPEGIMG_8760 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8761 (resized).JPEGIMG_8761 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8762 (resized).JPEGIMG_8762 (resized).JPEG

#21 76 days ago

Yep paint and clear coat pulling from actual wood. Age,moisture,nasty old pitted pinball (new stern pinballs),lack of care will take its toll.

Watch how much you clean its actually removing clear and paint doing that. Go to far and it will be wood. Get to a ok spot and clear coat it. This saves whats left form more damage. As to paint touch that's your call. Can stop at the clear and waited in hope of a replacement playfeild. Never thought i see the day Count-Down was a desired game. Funny i seem to dump the up and coming games.

2 weeks later
#22 60 days ago

Bump!

Quoted from cp1610:

Get to a ok spot and clear coat it. This saves whats left form more damage. As to paint touch that's your call. Can stop at the clear and waited in hope of a replacement playfeild.

I agree with this....will save a lot of painstaking color matching and tedious cutting of frisket paper.

Quoted from cp1610:

Never thought i see the day Count-Down was a desired game. Funny i seem to dump the up and coming games.

I know I'm not the only one that agrees with this one too. Wish I would have expanded my tastes far sooner, because there are so many titles out the that are good...it just took a tournament or a stream of someone playing it to see the light. Now the prices on many of these titles have gone up at least 50% or more. Hope to flip this game later this year

#23 59 days ago

I think part of my not giving a glowing review after having it over 18 years and various repairs. I had my fill and game was played to hell and back.

#24 59 days ago

All good, we like different games for different reasons. Up until a couple years ago I never would have imagined I'd want any solid state Gottlieb game. Now I own a few and would like to obtain a few more. Our tastes change over time. So glad I moved away from only wanting B/W WPC and newer games when I jumped into the hobby 11 years ago. So many good games from all eras...you just have to give them a chance.

....and have the room to play them

1 week later
#25 49 days ago

This is what I call, "Good Enough for the Girls We're Datin'."

Should have laid down a layer of clear first, but the in-laws were in town and I needed more than an hour in the garage.

First, took a couple scans incase I messed it up and to re-make stencils for the lettering later.

IMG_9126 (resized).JPEGIMG_9126 (resized).JPEG

Fun with "frisket". This stuff works good for cabinet stencils, and came up without taking any paint with it.

IMG_9115 (resized).JPEGIMG_9115 (resized).JPEG

After cleaning it about a hundred times, laying down the frisket, and cutting everything out.

IMG_9128 (resized).JPEGIMG_9128 (resized).JPEG

Put down the white. Now, the white went on and dried about 10 shades "bright ass whiter" than it looked like it would out of the bottle. Baby girl needs a tan, but, you know, see the first sentence of this post.

IMG_9132 (resized).JPEGIMG_9132 (resized).JPEG

Frisket removed. I wish I'd done some of the yellow at the top before I removed it, but oh well. It's only a little more $$ to put another layer of frisket down and fix the yellow towards the top.

IMG_9140 (resized).JPEGIMG_9140 (resized).JPEG

Then I went around and repainted in a whole bunch of black. Not bad.

IMG_9142 (resized).JPEGIMG_9142 (resized).JPEG

Side by side.

IMG_8758 (resized).JPEGIMG_8758 (resized).JPEG

Next time we'll finish the rest of it and prepare to start clearing.

#26 49 days ago

Also, forgot to add. Before doing the touch up stuff, I used a Dremel to clean all the old crap off the tops of the inserts. Not recommended. Pop them out and use sand paper. They don't look great.

IMG_9104 (resized).JPEGIMG_9104 (resized).JPEG

IMG_9105 (resized).JPEGIMG_9105 (resized).JPEG

#27 49 days ago
Quoted from RightNut:

This is what I call, "Good Enough for the Girls We're Datin'."
Should have laid down a layer of clear first, but the in-laws were in town and I needed more than an hour in the garage.
First, took a couple scans incase I messed it up and to re-make stencils for the lettering later.
[quoted image]
Fun with "frisket". This stuff works good for cabinet stencils, and came up without taking any paint with it.
[quoted image]
After cleaning it about a hundred times, laying down the frisket, and cutting everything out.
[quoted image]
Put down the white. Now, the white went on and dried about 10 shades "bright ass whiter" than it looked like it would out of the bottle. Baby girl needs a tan, but, you know, see the first sentence of this post.
[quoted image]
Frisket removed. I wish I'd done some of the yellow at the top before I removed it, but oh well. It's only a little more $$ to put another layer of frisket down and fix the yellow towards the top.
[quoted image]
Then I went around and repainted in a whole bunch of black. Not bad.
[quoted image]
Side by side.
[quoted image]
Next time we'll finish the rest of it and prepare to start clearing.

When you lay down frisket again to paint other colors, let us know if the frisket leaves residue all over the white.
Lately every frisket I try leaves shit on the new paint. It’s so annoying. Hopefully you picked a good product that won’t do that so I know what to buy.

#28 49 days ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

When you lay down frisket again to paint other colors, let us know if the frisket leaves residue all over the white.
Lately every frisket I try leaves shit on the new paint. It’s so annoying. Hopefully you picked a good product that won’t do that so I know what to buy.

I've actually been dreading this. It didn't cause any problems last time I used it to paint a cabinet, but that's a different kind of paint. We'll see what happens.

2 weeks later
#29 35 days ago

Had a nice 4 hour mess trying to get this to work. I've seen others have some good results, but I need practice. Hopefully this will work out for me! Took so long, I ran out of time to actually paint.

IMG_9402 (resized).JPEGIMG_9402 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9403 (resized).JPEGIMG_9403 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9410 (resized).JPEGIMG_9410 (resized).JPEG

#30 34 days ago

Little progress is better than no progress.

#31 31 days ago

Getting there man! Do little pieces at a time it’s easier to work with instead of one massive sheet.

#32 28 days ago

Fun on Easter Weekend.

Used the stencils to put the numbers back in. Moral of this story is to clear before you use these stencils. They pull chunks of paint off. Ugh.

IMG_9464 (resized).JPEGIMG_9464 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9470 (resized).JPEGIMG_9470 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9477 (resized).JPEGIMG_9477 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9478 (resized).JPEGIMG_9478 (resized).JPEG

I touched up a few more areas. I suck at matching colors and the f-ing paints keep drying significantly different shades than they go on. So what the hell. Most of the bad parts will be covered by plastics, aprons, and skirts. But this is never going to look perfect. I'll probably just mess it up more if I keep going.

IMG_9486 (resized).JPEGIMG_9486 (resized).JPEG

Now the fun part.

IMG_9498 (resized).JPEGIMG_9498 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9499 (resized).JPEGIMG_9499 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9503 (resized).JPEGIMG_9503 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9507 (resized).JPEGIMG_9507 (resized).JPEG

First coat and leveling inserts.

IMG_9501 (resized).JPEGIMG_9501 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9504 (resized).JPEGIMG_9504 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9510 (resized).JPEGIMG_9510 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9511 (resized).JPEGIMG_9511 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9512 (resized).JPEGIMG_9512 (resized).JPEG

The next day. Inserts need another round of leveling. Sanding to level stuff out.

IMG_9521 (resized).JPEGIMG_9521 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9522 (resized).JPEGIMG_9522 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9529 (resized).JPEGIMG_9529 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9530 (resized).JPEGIMG_9530 (resized).JPEG

Coat number 2. Use pennies to level out your playfield before coating and insert leveling. It'll save headaches.

IMG_9533 (resized).JPEGIMG_9533 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9534 (resized).JPEGIMG_9534 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9535 (resized).JPEGIMG_9535 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9536 (resized).JPEGIMG_9536 (resized).JPEG

After coat number 2.

IMG_9541 (resized).JPEGIMG_9541 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9542 (resized).JPEGIMG_9542 (resized).JPEG

More to come!

2 weeks later
#33 14 days ago

Not a lot of time to work this weekend, some sick kiddos! But got a few things.

Mainly, I masked off the circles and sprayed them black. Still figuring out the stencil thing. They're hard to place because you can't see through them!

IMG_9720 (resized).JPEGIMG_9720 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9728 (resized).JPEGIMG_9728 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9744 (resized).JPEGIMG_9744 (resized).JPEG

#34 12 days ago

Not a bad deal for a 4-shot Mr. Coffee espresso/Latte machine

Nice progress over the weekend

#35 6 days ago

Keylines look reasonably good. However, the freaking stencils left some adhesive behind. Not sure if it is because it interacted with the clear or I left them on too long, but it's really upsetting. I used some alcohol and a rag to get most of it off, but it smeared and removed some of the black paint. Sucks.

IMG_9798 (resized).JPEGIMG_9798 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9799 (resized).JPEGIMG_9799 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9800 (resized).PNGIMG_9800 (resized).PNG

After 3rd coat.

IMG_9805 (resized).JPEGIMG_9805 (resized).JPEG

Ready for 4th coat.

IMG_9812 (resized).JPEGIMG_9812 (resized).JPEG

After 4th coat.

IMG_9817 (resized).JPEGIMG_9817 (resized).JPEG

Final sanding ladder.

IMG_9823 (resized).JPEGIMG_9823 (resized).JPEG

After 320.

IMG_9824 (resized).JPEGIMG_9824 (resized).JPEG

After 600.

IMG_9828 (resized).JPEGIMG_9828 (resized).JPEG

After 1000.

IMG_9832 (resized).JPEGIMG_9832 (resized).JPEG

After 1500.

IMG_9836 (resized).JPEGIMG_9836 (resized).JPEG

After 2000.

IMG_9840 (resized).JPEGIMG_9840 (resized).JPEG

After 3000.

IMG_9844 (resized).JPEGIMG_9844 (resized).JPEG

We'll do the final buff and wax after the 6 week cure time has elapsed. I can also start testing/rebuilding boards and getting the cabinet back in shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/countdown-is-dirty- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.