Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,819 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 74 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“ The New GIF Thread”

• Yes,this thread was very entertaining bring it back 30 votes
      75%
    • No,I hated it but only came here to get My fair share of abuse. 10 votes
      25%

(40 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    fhdfgh.gif
    dghh.gif
    iyttyuiuyti.gif
    ewryreert.gif
    weryyyw.gif
    shhdfdfh.gif
    81d958e14a4074e0e5fb8b6a00ee9a9fd120d0649a7d9f76fd62e0d4ad6086f5.gif
    dhsdhsdh.gif
    ertherthrth.gif
    918b2e2aa003be5ceba3afc37ada5832faee0a91c0b1d6f86149df0000ee907b.gif
    dshd.gif
    hhsdh.gif
    gsdsh.gif
    rtherthtre.gif
    sdhsdhs.gif
    There are 2,819 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 57.
    #1 10 months ago

I really enjoyed the Gif thread but it disappeared.Maybe the OP could be allowed to do it again if He promises to clean it up.
    This was one of My favorite threads.

#3 10 months ago

I was wondering what happened to it. Habo always had great ones!

#5 10 months ago

That one should be the food thread.

#6 10 months ago

I was told that it was taking too much room on the site so they dumped it. Size wise I estimate at about 17,000 posts with minimal 4M per gif would be about 900 Gigs of space. That's a lot of space so I get it. Evidently, more people lurked and liked it but didn't post. I tried to do at least a batch of 40 mew gifs a week. I didn't want to spam the thread every day. By the looks of the voting so far people want it back?

#7 10 months ago

I understand that. There’s enough Gif websites out there and Robin probably saw the server memory slowly ballooning out of proportion. Some of them are fun, but we don’t want to end up with one of those Reddit counting threads which serve literally no purpose

#8 10 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I understand that. There’s enough Gif websites out there and Robin probably saw the server memory slowly ballooning out of proportion. Some of them are fun, but we don’t want to end up with one of those Reddit counting threads which serve literally no purpose

Makes some sense,since its not a game thread or technical thread if they could just delete the postings after a couple months or something .

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

By the looks of the voting so far people want it back?

hAbO

yes please .... always a favorite of mine ... thanks again for doing it previously !

#10 10 months ago

Sorry guys, once interest in the thread died down, the decision was made to close and delete the thread since it was taking up way too much storage space on the server.

#11 10 months ago

Can another be started?

#12 10 months ago

One interesting byproduct of this newer Pinside 'grid view' is that I rarely see more than the top 10 recently posted in threads. In the old view you could see a big list of recently active threads and the gif one seemed to be somewhere in that list at some point. Things roll off the recently posted threads in the new grid view so fast now I think I see 20% of the content I used to.

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

once interest in the thread died down

I’m sorry, that statement reeks of deflection and strikes me as a patently false narrative. Do you care to disclose some page view metrics to back that up? You have a perfectly reasonable argument that the thread consumed too much storage (although storage is ridiculously inexpensive today), but to claim that it was deleted due to its unpopularity is simply disingenuous.

#14 10 months ago

hAbO bring the best gifs and great job!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sorry guys, once interest in the thread died down, the decision was made to close and delete the thread since it was taking up way too much storage space on the server.

Most lurked and enjoyed it.
    Maybe he can post a few less at a time?

#15 10 months ago

So strange to see people fighting to bring a GIF thread back…
    Just jingle some keys in front of yourselves if you’re that easily amused.

#16 10 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I dont think anyone is fighting or hard up for entertainment. Leave that to the "unfunny bro's" thread. Were just discussing. Shit, its just a thread that can be made by anyone. If it gets to big after 200 or so pages then delete it again.

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

80433A54-0B3E-49AA-820C-D1CC5109BA57.gif80433A54-0B3E-49AA-820C-D1CC5109BA57.gif
    #18 10 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

squirrel-huh.gifsquirrel-huh.gif
    #19 10 months ago
    Quoted from Vino:

[quoted image]

now were talking!!! Keep'm coming guys!

#20 10 months ago

#21 10 months ago
    dcpd1hF.gifdcpd1hF.gif
    #22 10 months ago
    Pinside_forum_4489020_1321152.gifPinside_forum_4489020_1321152.gif
    #23 10 months ago
    7VUP.gif7VUP.gif
    #24 10 months ago

I only have 5 sets of keys so it gets boring

#25 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I only have 5 sets of keys so it gets boring

I keep my wedding band on my keys. So anytime I get hit on I take out the keys and jingle them in front of their face to let them know im spoken for.

The reaction is always instant disgust. Lol

#26 10 months ago

I wonder if there is a way to have a thread that deletes posts after a certain number have been posted. That way the Gif thread would only have 1000 posts (or however many you want it to be) in it at a time.

#27 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Makes some sense,since its not a game thread or technical thread if they could just delete the postings after a couple months or something .

Quoted from Monk:

I wonder if there is a way to have a thread that deletes posts after a certain number have been posted. That way the Gif thread would only have 1000 posts (or however many you want it to be) in it at a time.

agree

#28 10 months ago

Haha, I guess you do. I missed that, I was too busy looking at all the Gifs to pay attention to the words. What a good suggestion.

#29 10 months ago

F-ing Kenny.gifF-ing Kenny.gif

#30 10 months ago
    Quoted from Vino:

[quoted image]

That made me so happy that I'm almost concerned for myself on how easily I am amused

#31 10 months ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

I’m sorry, that statement reeks of deflection and strikes me as a patently false narrative. Do you care to disclose some page view metrics to back that up? You have a perfectly reasonable argument that the thread consumed too much storage (although storage is ridiculously inexpensive today), but to claim that it was deleted due to its unpopularity is simply disingenuous.

Nothing I said was untrue. It had been months since the last significant post, if I recall correctly. There's no conspiracy here. It was an inactive thread that was very resource intensive, so the simple decision was made to remove it. Sorry if that upsets you. If it was an active thread that people were visibly participating in, it would've been left in place.

It's true that consumer level storage devices are really cheap, but that's not always the case for business-class storage. The hardware is different (more robust for 24x7 operation and higher grade performance for hundreds of users, as opposed to just 1 home user) and server environments have more layers of complexity (performance balancing, redundancy, backups, etc).

#32 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nothing I said was untrue. It had been months since the last significant post, if I recall correctly. There's no conspiracy here. It was an inactive thread that was very resource intensive, so the simple decision was made to remove it. Sorry if that upsets you. If it was an active thread that people were visibly participating in, it would've been left in place.
    It's true that consumer level storage devices are really cheap, but that's not always the case for business-class storage. The hardware is different (more robust for 24x7 operation and higher grade performance for hundreds of users, as opposed to just 1 home user) and server environments have more layers of complexity (performance balancing, redundancy, backups, etc).

Soooooo, you are contemplating it’s resurrection!?

#33 10 months ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

think its already begun !

#34 10 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

[quoted image]

nice to see you back #habo

#35 10 months ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

Pinside_forum_4488752_1320966.gifPinside_forum_4488752_1320966.gif
    #36 10 months ago

2600 warlords.gif2600 warlords.gif

#37 10 months ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #38 10 months ago
    woo-yeah.gifwoo-yeah.gif
    #39 10 months ago

its on !

hey OP ... update the title to The NEW GIF THREAD

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #40 10 months ago

Honestly I quit checking out the old thread because it became overwhelming. Maybe limit it to just a couple gif’s posted a day per user so that it can’t be spammed. Let people post 3-5 a day across all threads; that way other threads won’t pop up and become spam. If you can’t limit your GIF usage to 3-5 a day then you can just spend that time contemplating your life.

Edit, to be clear I enjoyed the old one, and contributed to it, but I though it became cluttered

#41 10 months ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

its on !
    hey OP ... update the title to The NEW GIF THREAD
    [quoted image]

IMG_2695.gifIMG_2695.gif
    #42 10 months ago
    3737dfd888b04e498c5f8a491f85aa84.gif3737dfd888b04e498c5f8a491f85aa84.gif
    #43 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think that you must be thinking of the "Annex" thread. That would go dormant for longer periods of time. The one that got redacted stayed pretty busy. It's a moot point, though. I understand that Robin is the final arbiter of Pinside content.

One of my roles is to build, deploy, and support high performance disk arrays for use in video production and audio recording. I am well versed in consumer vs. enterprise class storage. I stand by my point, though. Today, even server class storage costs but a fraction of what I was spending on Low Voltage Differential SCSI drives for RAIDs 25 years ago.

#44 10 months ago

Second best thread only to....... you know which one I'm thinking of!!

#45 10 months ago
    Quoted from Enchantress:

Second best thread only to....... you know which one I'm thinking of!!

Yep. I know.

#46 10 months ago

Stupid question, but since we have to select pdf/gif to even post one, is it possible to make that uploaded content post expire in say, 30/60/90 days? A couple other boards I frequent do something similar yearly.

#47 10 months ago

THE NEW GIF THREAD

BC55DCEC-FE1F-4695-8C1E-31F2800724DA.gifBC55DCEC-FE1F-4695-8C1E-31F2800724DA.gif
    #48 10 months ago

Bros and Hos! Two wonderful threads, one happy group!

#49 10 months ago
    IMG_2698.gifIMG_2698.gif
    #50 10 months ago
    IMG_2701.gifIMG_2701.gif
    There are 2,819 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-we-get-the-gif-thread-back-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.