(Topic ID: 100637)

Buy: What are some kid-centric themed pins?

By mof

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ZNET
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hurricane_0004_Lower-Playfield.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm trying to help a friend with a wife and three kids, ages 3,6, and 8 choose their first pin.

1) What are some kid-centric themed pins?

I can think of:

bugs bunny
popeye saves the earth
Shrek
Wizard of Oz

what else?
-mof

#2 9 years ago

Other kid-centric themes:

Rocky & Bullwinkle
The Flintstones
Super Mario Bros.
Simpsons

Non kid-centric themes that may also work:

Road Show
Funhouse
Jurassic Park
World Cup Soccer
Fish Tales
Congo
Ripley's Believe It Or Not
Rollercoaster Tycoon

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Non kid-centric themes that may also work:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Whitewater

My kids 4&7 like these

#4 9 years ago

Whirlwind might work - kids really get a kick out of the fan and the spinning discs.

My daughter liked Pinbot a lot when she was 6-7

#5 9 years ago

What are the kids' gender? Marvel is big with most boys (Spider man, Avengers, Iron man, X Men).

#6 9 years ago

+1 to World Cup Soccer and Shrek
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (might be cool with the movie out in theaters now)

#7 9 years ago

Comet being rollercoaster themed and a good value is a great starter pin.You can usually pick one up for a grand or less.
"Hey Turkey,C'mon Hit Me!"

#8 9 years ago

No Good Gofers
Spider-Man
World Cup Soccer
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

#9 9 years ago

My kids love Avatar, Super Mario, Theatre of Magic, Cirqus Voltaire, Flintstones, and of course....
......Rollercoaster Tycoon.

They did not like Bugs Bunny or World Cup Soccer when I had those.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm trying to help a friend with a wife and three kids, ages 3,6, and 8 choose their first pin.
I can think of:
Bugs Bunny
Popeye Saves the Earth
Shrek
Wizard of Oz
what else?
-mof

WOZ rule set to deep for a starter game. I owned a who dun nit at one time and with the flipper buttons you could choose between novice and reg. The novice spit out the ball for two min unlimited ball drains good for young kids.Simpsons is a good DMD but consider looking at some 80s SS games.

#11 9 years ago

Hurricane is a good first pin, especially if you have kids. The artwork is fun, it has that cool looping ramp that any kid gets to see at least once when they plunge the ball. Has a DMD, spinning disc in backglass, two ramps, dunk the dummy shot is a challenging ball drainer. A neat toy with the two ferris wheels (although it does DRAG the game down, talk about stop and go, knowing you MOF you would LOATHE this feature) but kids like it and if you are playing for points you rarely need to shoot for it. Pop bumpers are useless and hardly utilized in this game (another thing I know you hate).

Not super deep but there is enough for the casual player to start with and learn from. My guests all loved it. I think its a good starter pin, once I got serious about pinball it was out the door though.

#12 9 years ago

Interested in any modern pins?? Tron Pro? Spider-Man? X-Men? Transformers?? Lots of kid friendly themes to choose from in the modern era too. Mustang for that matter. Star Trek too.

#13 9 years ago

Also meant to mention that hurricane is typically one of the cheaper DMDS, although people around here want dumb money for it. Got mine for 900$.

#14 9 years ago

WCS and Shrek are both great playing games with family friendly themes and a great ruleset.
Flinstones is a great game also.
I'd stay away from Hurricane, clowns are gross.

#15 9 years ago

Stay away from Funhouse, Rudy may have given my son a life long fear of ventriloquist dummies. I had to move it out in fear that it would turn him off to pinball for life!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I'd stay away from Hurricane, clowns are gross.

they are, but only one on the playfield, and hes not that bad.

Hurricane_0004_Lower-Playfield.jpgHurricane_0004_Lower-Playfield.jpg
#17 9 years ago

Kids like pins with lots of toys on them. my daughter is not a Star Trek fan at all but she loves STTNG just cause theres so much to do.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I can think of:
Bugs Bunny
Popeye Saves the Earth
Shrek
Wizard of Oz
what else?
-mof

So no price range?

I'd say forget Bugs Bunny & Popeye.

WOZ is good but by far the most expensive (up to 4x more than other great family pins).

World Cup Soccer 94 is a great family pin that always attracts the kids. Great value also.

#19 9 years ago

My kids (8 and 10 at the time) played Junk Yard more than anything else. Shooting the dog with the toaster gun used to make them laugh so hard they nearly fell off the stool. Easy to play, but deep enough to keep adults busy too.

#20 9 years ago

The backglass on hurricane is a bit "spooky" if they are very young (the coaster has sharp teeth an a weird face ...my son called it "the dragon pinball machine" when he was 3).

Road show is a huge hit with my son, as is swep1 and Hook (though I hid the sides of the head which are some creepy skeletons). Nightmare age is no fun...

#21 9 years ago

- Family Guy (family mode of course)
- Fish Tales (appears to be extremely popular at most arcades I've been to)
- RollerCoaster Tycoon
- Dr. Dude or The Party Zone
- Revenge From Mars

#22 9 years ago

Punchy the Clown, and Dinosaur Eggs

#23 9 years ago

Most everyone loves Taxi & Cyclone. Simple, yet fun. But you already know that.

#24 9 years ago

when my daughter was younger, her friends were always drawn to world cup soccer, since shooting the goal was obvious to do and they would get excited when they scored, even if that is not really the primary objective of the game.

Roadshow has also been appealing to the kids, with the talking heads and shooting at the bulldozer blade.

#25 9 years ago

Kids like games with obvious targets. Theme is good too but the reason kids like world cup soccer so much is the familiar target of shoot the ball in the goal! The ship in the new star trek is good (big obvious target and cool stuff happens when you hit it). Look for pins with a strong "hit me here" with good rewards for doing so.

#26 9 years ago

My 2 year old loved my data east Simpsons. He gave it a hug and a kiss when I sold it. I still feel bad!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Stay away from Funhouse, Rudy may have given my son a life long fear of ventriloquist dummies. I had to move it out in fear that it would turn him off to pinball for life!

My 6 yr old loves funhouse, makes me play it with him all the time. He also loves Cyclone. Another circus theme game with lots of drop targets is gottlieb Hot Shots, somewhat questionable back glass but really fun for kids to play.

#28 9 years ago

Most kids walk right past my pinballs and play the skee ball. Their parents are *thrilled* when I ensure their kids take home the tickets they "won"....

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#29 9 years ago

For some reason the Chuck-e-Cheese by me has TSPP. Personally I wouldn't say it's a super kids game, but apparently it does well in a place meant for kids.

Other than that I'd say a huge +1 to Rollercoaster Tycoon, Super Mario Bros, SMB Mushroom World, and Road Show.

#30 9 years ago

I agree that the games already mentioned above are all excellent choices. My kids greatly enjoyed Creature From The Black Lagoon (should likely have kept it in my collection). The two-ball multiball is uncomplicated but challenging. Also, its retro theme appeals to adults. You cannot go wrong with Twilight Zone either. The best family themed machine (kids and adults of all ages), in my view, is Wizard of Oz. The ultra-deep ruleset of WOZ makes it a keeper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coos Bay, OR
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 218.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buy-what-are-some-kid-centric-themed-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.