bsd4.jpg
bsd.jpg
before 2.jpg
before 1.jpg
after 2.jpg
after 1.jpg
after 1a.jpg
#1 9 years ago

A friend of mine loved the WOZ walls I made , and asked me to paint up the lack luster village from his bram stroker Dracula. The village and castle fortress had a factory paint job that looked a little flat. With the use of a handful of acrylic paints and some imagination, I enhanced the sculpted plastics to look more realistic and give it a more of a textured feel. The plastic pieces are then clear coated to add to the durability of the paint job. If anyone is interested I could paint up and detail anyone else's Dracula plastics. I love the way they came out and love doing this type of artwork on pinball machines for other people and enhancing the beauty that is already there. I hope everyone likes them.
The Modfather

Before
before 1.jpgbefore 1.jpg
After
after 1.jpgafter 1.jpg
after 1a.jpgafter 1a.jpg
Before
before 2.jpgbefore 2.jpg
After
after 2.jpgafter 2.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Looks great. I would love to see them installed

#4 9 years ago

You are a man of good... taste.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

The plastic pieces are then clear coated to add to the durability of the paint job.

My only suggestion, take it or leave it, would be trying a matte clear coat instead of glossy, would mimic the surfaces of the painted buildings and rocks better.

#7 9 years ago

Few close up pics...

bsd3.jpgbsd3.jpg
bsd2.jpgbsd2.jpg
bsd.jpgbsd.jpg
bsd1.jpgbsd1.jpg
bsd4.jpgbsd4.jpg

#9 9 years ago

I can paint the BSD plastics for 85 dollars including return shipping. You would have to mail me your plastics, and I could paint them and ship them back rather quickly . Probably about a week to get them back with shipping in the states. They look way better than the factory paint job. I can get creative and do custom color layout , if anyone likes. The paints are dry brushed using acrylic paints , then clear coated. I took Aurichs suggestion and recoated the plastics in a clear satin finish , and not gloss. A little less shine looks better. I also did a few more touch ups that I missed when I posted the pics. I hope you like them...thx
The Modfather

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Modfather-looks incredible! THIS is a mod that truly enhances a pin , IMHO. Does anyone remember the guy-fellow pinsider, I think- who blue blue LED's in some of the windows? Combined with this mod, that would be the end.

#11 9 years ago

That looks wonderful. Great job. That mod is worth doing for sure.

#12 9 years ago

Looks great. I may be sending mine to you here in the future. What a difference.

1 week later
#13 9 years ago

I thought about adding some small leds in the windows, not sure of what colors would look cool. They could be wired to the GI and give it a creepy look. I was thinking of blue and red in various windows . Maybe 6 leds or so. What do you guys think?

#14 9 years ago

The buildings of that time period were lit by candle light correct so what color would that be. Do they make a flickering led?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The buildings of that time period were lit by candle light correct so what color would that be. Do they make a flickering led?

There should be some for the Christmas villages that people lay out for Christmas!

#16 9 years ago

hi mod, cut the windows out and only put leds in the plastic buildings. don't forget there are opto's nearby. g.l.joe

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I thought about adding some small leds in the windows, not sure of what colors would look cool. They could be wired to the GI and give it a creepy look. I was thinking of blue and red in various windows . Maybe 6 leds or so. What do you guys think?

Red is the only choice. I've been meaning to do this for a while.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Without question-YES!! DO THIS! As I stated before, there was a guy here who had done this-just a few windows (blue) here & there, and most importantly the windows in the mausoleum (red). I wish I could find pix of this...what an improvement.
Modfather, if you're serious about doing this, I'll send my pieces to you the next day!

1 month later
#19 9 years ago

I would like to have this done. Have you done anything with the graveyard on BSD"

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I would like to have this done. Have you done anything with the graveyard on BSD"

I painted these pieces for a friend of mine. He has not given me the graveyard to paint yet. I would paint it in the same fashion, using dry brushing techniques. Essentially shades of grey with some green stippled in the area to give it a creepy look. I could still paint anyones BSD plastics if they are interested.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi mod, cut the windows out and only put leds in the plastic buildings. don't forget there are opto's nearby. g.l.joe

can someone post a pic of the area without the plastic on top ? Maybe of the opto area. I want to run some leds in the windows, I think it will look great. If there is interest I can develop this further to reality. I can put toether a package to install , maybe 6 leds in the windows of the village plastic, maybe red leds in the eyes of the castle plastic. Let me know

#22 9 years ago

Modfather-this is a great idea! Is it possible to do the flickering-style amber lights in the village windows? To simulate candlelight? Mine are boxed up & ready to send whenever you green light!

3 weeks later
#23 9 years ago

Anyone interested in having their plastics painted up to look more realistic , let me know. By the time I get them, it will take a couple days to paint them. I can get them back to you rather quickly. Thx The Modfather

#24 9 years ago

I had sent you a message, about painting my Williams Indiana Jones Ruins plastic. Did you ever decide what, if anything, can be done with improving the look of it?

Here's a photo, but these actually look better than mine.

Screen shot 2014-09-13 at 11.53.35 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-09-13 at 11.53.35 AM.png
3 weeks later
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I had sent you a message, about painting my Williams Indiana Jones Ruins plastic. Did you ever decide what, if anything, can be done with improving the look of it?
Here's a photo, but these actually look better than mine.

sure , I can paint them using various shades of beiges and tan to create a more natural look of stone and make it look more realistic than the bland monotone colors from stock plastics.

Screen shot 2014-09-13 at 11.53.... 60 KB

#26 9 years ago

Just awesome! What a difference!

#27 9 years ago

You still doing this, modfather? I would like to consider sending mine to you before winter gets here, and all I'll be doing is playing/repairing pinball!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

You still doing this, modfather? I would like to consider sending mine to you before winter gets here, and all I'll be doing is playing/repairing pinball!

can do , let me know. I really enjoy enhancing the looks of pinball machines , as sometimes paint schemes fall a little short from the manufacturer. The colors and textures look really much better than the stock originals. I am glad to help. Just PM me and let me know as I can paint any plastics for any machine. I recently repainted my bat cave on my Batman Forever and it looks much more realistic as the grey tones were flat. I added some colors and textures to the stone work.

#29 9 years ago

will have a drac restored this winter, will probably send to you.....

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

What a terrible idea! Sorry about the grainy low-light pics, but hopefully gives you an idea... There's an RGB strip in my village that has a remote I mess with periodically to change it up.

BSD is a modder's delight, no doubt!

20141009_062453[1].jpg20141009_062453[1].jpg 20141009_060007[1].jpg20141009_060007[1].jpg
#31 9 years ago

Haven't forgotten about you, modfather. We'll set something up soon. I want your skills on my BSD's village and castle for sure. Your work looks great. Definitely looking at sending you my BSD's village and castle in a lil' bit.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Haven't forgotten about you, modfather. We'll set something up soon. I want your skills on my BSD's village and castle for sure. Your work looks great. Definitely looking at sending you my BSD's village and castle in a lil' bit.

Whenever you're ready Pm me for the mailing address. I will paint them up nicely for ya...

2 years later
#33 7 years ago

I'm still doing this for PinSiders. There are other pics on my website www.modfatherpinball.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
The Woodlands, TX
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-custom-painted-village-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.