(Topic ID: 199711)

Black Knight Ball advance

By StratDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Still working on my Black Knight. Broke down and bought a Rottendog board

Game boots with no problem. First ball ejects into shooter lane. When the first ball drains the ball is pushed into the trough but the game will not register second ball in play. The multi ball also is not functioning. I can manually place three balls in the top playfield trough -
all three lights show balls locked - but no multiball.

Switch test shows no stuck switches and solenoid test also checks out. Manually activating the rollover switches with a ball show all switches registering properly.

It appears all switches in column six are out. Double checked connections for switches in the column and do not see anything. Also checked connection to rottendog board. It looks okay as well.

#2 6 years ago

Up working on the pin this morning. Quick recap - game starts and can put first ball in play. When the ball drains it will not advance to second ball in play and kick the second ball into the shooter lane. The out hole does, however, kick the ball into the shooter trough. I have also noticed that if I place three balls in the the upper trough I cannot activate multiball. I was thinking it might be a switch matrix problem.

Column two has the three trough switches and the out hole switch. All switches test okay in the switch test. I checked continuity from backbox connector to each switch in the column - no shorts detected. I also connected a wire to the 2j2 connector for the column and in diagnostic switch test mode touched each of the corresponding 2j3 pins. All switches worked. I did the same tests for column six since it controls switches for multiball. Everything checks out okay.

Thoughts?

#3 6 years ago

Are you SURE all 3 trough switches are registering with a ball in the trough? Your first problem sounds like the 3rd ball is not registering in the trough.

Try this, remove all balls from the game. Enter switch test. Verify no switches are registering. Roll one ball into the drain, switch 20 should register. Manually push the ball into the trough, switch 17 should repeatedly register. Push the second ball into the trough, 17 and 18 should repeatedly register. Push the 3rd ball in the trough and 17, 18, 19 should repeatedly register. One of these switches miss-adjusted or if they have a bad diode, could cause your problem.

For column 6, sounds like you have a wiring problem. Check that the wire is making connection at the IDC connector at the driver board at through the disconnect at the bottom of the backbox. There is also a connector that connects the lower playfield to the upper playfield but since the switches that are not working include some on the upper playfield, your issue is before that connector. I would trace continuity back from the driver board connector through the one in the bottom of the backbox. If that is good, trace the wire bundle as it enters the upper PF and measure continuity from the first switch back to the driver board connector.

#4 6 years ago

Scwhaggs ,

Thanks for the response. I entered switch test and manually loaded three balls one at a time into the trough. Switch 17, followed by18, followed by 19 all registered correctly.

I pulled 2J2 from the rottendog board. I checked continuity on green/blue pin 5 which is the wire for columns six - stuck a paper clip in the connector for green/blue connection and five and have continuity from the backbox all the way through to switches 41 -46 in the switch matrix.

#5 6 years ago

Wow, I really have no idea on the first one. Does the game count up your bonus when you drain? Does it shoot the ball from the drain to the trough?

On the second issue, measure from the paperclip to one of the switches on the main PF (shooter lane 45 or PF tilt 46)

Next is to test the Diodes on the upper trough switches and make sure the contacts are clean.

#6 6 years ago

No. The bonuses are not counted up. The drain will kick the ball into the trough but not eject a ball into the shooter lane. Ball in play stays on "1".

I pulled the diodes and all check okay.

Tried on more thing. I have a Rottendog power supply in my Blackout. Pulled it and installed it in the Black Knight. No change.

#7 6 years ago

The normal course of events is that when the ball drains, it shoots it into the trough, then counts bonus, then ejects the next ball. It needs to detect all 3 balls in a trough to start a game and to "end the ball". Since you tested it over and over and it starts a game, I think we know all 3 switches are working. I think it might be time to ask Rottondog for help. It sounds like a bug in their board/game. Maybe you can post a question in the Black Knight club thread to see if anyone else had this problem with a RD board in a BK.

#8 6 years ago

Schwaggs,

Thanks. I am also going to re-pin all connectors.

I will reach out to Jim at Rottendog. I will keep you posted.

#9 6 years ago

Hey... so this is happening to me as well.

I have 2 new Rottendog MPU327-3 boards. One is having issue playing the right speeches, but otherwise plays perfectly with no glitches.

I dropped in a new board just to rule out my speech board issue, and I am now getting the exact same issue as you. Plays one ball fine and pushes the ball over to the trough, but does not advance the play to 2nd ball.

I think it may be something in the settings and im going to pull the battery and retry.

#10 6 years ago

It's like it believes a ball is still in play. It does the same thing if you load up the lock with balls, it will eject one, but if you put it back in... it is fine.

All switches and solenoids register perfectly without any row or column grounding. This may be a flaky board. I'm going to repair my other one and swap it back.

#11 6 years ago

Crap... so now both boards are doing it. They act identical. Let me know if you figure it out. Ill debug as well

#12 6 years ago

That is exactly the same problem I am having. I too am having sound problems - I have a new swemmer sound board. I get speech at the start of a game but no speech or sound while the ball is in play. I have aRottendog board in my Blackout and will swap it out to see if it is board related.

I will keep you posted.

#13 6 years ago

I can indeed confirm it is a bad board. The mpu327 from my blackout works fine in my Black Knight.

#14 6 years ago

Well, good news and bad! At least you found the culprit!

#15 6 years ago

CRAP.

I feared this would happen. Been waiting nearly a year for the rev 3 board, and it still is flaky

So, please reach out to Jim and possibly Keith (K's arcade) to confirm you are having this issue, exactly this issue because I am having a hard time convincing them that the board is still not working right or that I blew it somehow.

1) Game passes all test modes, switch tests, display and sound tests
2) Game starts with BK speech, kicks out first ball, then no more sound
3) Game plays and scores fine until the ball is drained.
4) Ball is kicked over from the outhole into the trough but then just sits and does nothing.
5) You can still score points and game still in "working mode" but nothing will ever advance to the next ball.

#16 6 years ago

I reached out to rottendog and am waiting on a call back from Jim. I was able to speak with someone. I informed the Arcadeshop where I bought my board. They were also going to contact rottendog. I told rottendog at least one other person was having a problem and provided a link to this post. I will keep the post updated.

#17 6 years ago

ok good. I've gone the route of K's arcade and also have a email out.

I did find that someone had this issue 7 months ago with the MPU327-2 ... same issue and that new ROM fixed the issue. Apparently the ROM got damaged somehow but still plays? I wouldn't mind having the code so that I can burn my own in the event this happens again.

I've mentioned to Jim about the ROM to see if he would send new ones just in case. No word yet

#18 6 years ago

Not sure if that board uses the same ROMs as the original board set, but if it does, the ROM code is available for for download at Ipdb.org: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=310

#19 6 years ago

I talked briefly to someone at Rottendog yesterday afternoon and am waiting for a call back from Jim. It is a ROM issue and Jim can send a new one I am good with that. I could remove the ROM from my Blackout and put in the new board to test it. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to it until next Friday - ugh.

#20 6 years ago

Original ROMS will not work as this board uses a Combo ROM and possible boot loader in a different format... so it would have to come from Jim. Or it would be sweet if he could send the code to be programmed.

#21 6 years ago

Any luck taking with Rottendog and getting your board replaced? I talked with someone- not Jim- briefly but have not been able to get them to return my call or follow up emails.

#22 6 years ago

Not one reply from Rottendog. So far crickets.

#23 6 years ago

That is not good. Obviously several bad boards out there. Did Ksarcade send you a new one?

#24 6 years ago

I actually have 3 BKs waiting on boards. I purchased 2 MPU327-3s ... they both act the same. So this is a design issue, not a bad board.

#25 6 years ago

You are correct. I am hoping to talk with Rottnsog today.

#26 6 years ago

I'll be calling today as well to help support / add need for this

--> from my embedded software experience, this appears to be a ROM issue. It feels like some subroutines are not running (like background sound, end of ball etc). Seems like the vector addresses are incorrect for some reason

#27 6 years ago

I flaked with J Rod again today at Rottendog. He again took my contact information but o one called me back. He said thre was a design team looking into the problem. Let me know if you learn anything. The distributor I bought the board through suggested I work through Rottendog.

#28 6 years ago

Update -

Rottendog is sending a replacement part for the board. Jim left a message saying they had figured out the problem and offered to send a part to resolve the issue or refund the cost of the board. The part ships today. He did not way which IC was causing the problem.

#29 6 years ago

I talked to him and he said they used a faster RAM chip. I just received my replacement RAM part... and ... UH.. no change for me.

I'm waiting to see how your tests come up. Exact same results. The board did need to reboot once in order to detect and use the part and all settings went back to default.

Let me know how yours goes

#30 6 years ago

That stinks, sorry...

You could try and reset the board just for grins...

Either follow the factory reset instructions or pull the batteries for 5-10 minutes.

#31 6 years ago

I will do that. This is likely a flash part (and not RAM) and the code detected no files... so it did the reset and reformat.

StratDoc: eager to hear about your findings before I contact Rottendog again about my test results

#33 6 years ago

I got a version 3 Rottendog recently for my Black Knight - and it does the EXACT same thing you describe above. I also posted in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-and-rottendog-mpu327-issues

#34 6 years ago

yes, I see. Please keep this thread running. I think we have 4 now with this issue and with the replacement flash part, does not appear to solve the problem yet.

#35 6 years ago

StratDoc, did you get your flash part yet from RD?

#36 6 years ago

Yes, I received it this week. It did not resolve the problem. Still no ball in play advance and no sound. Frustrating.

#37 6 years ago

OK, well... the only good news is that we are both consistent and it should help in swaying RD to continue to debug this issue.

And it sucks because ... well BK is still dead after a year of waiting for this board to come out. I had much better success using the MPU327-2 board. At least it worked.

#38 6 years ago

I swapped my old board from 2015 into the BK and installed the new revision board in my Blackout. I haven't had time to trouble shoot the old board in the BK but it seems to work. At least there is sound and the ball in play advances. The new board seems to work fine in the Blackout.

1 week later
#39 6 years ago

The Arcadeshop replaced my MPU327 board. Great customer service and very responsive. The owner's name is Steven Gregory. I never did get it sorted out through Rottendog. The flashed IC Rottendog sent did not solve the problem. I have not installed the replacement but will post back when I do.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

CRAP.
I feared this would happen. Been waiting nearly a year for the rev 3 board, and it still is flaky
So, please reach out to Jim and possibly Keith (K's arcade) to confirm you are having this issue, exactly this issue because I am having a hard time convincing them that the board is still not working right or that I blew it somehow.
1) Game passes all test modes, switch tests, display and sound tests
2) Game starts with BK speech, kicks out first ball, then no more sound
3) Game plays and scores fine until the ball is drained.
4) Ball is kicked over from the outhole into the trough but then just sits and does nothing.
5) You can still score points and game still in "working mode" but nothing will ever advance to the next ball.

Hello everyone! First post here. Just got my rottendog combo board for my recently acquired black knight and my game is doing the exact same stuff. Game boots, sound board works when hitting the test switch, all solenoids work and test good , and all switches work in the test mode. However when starting a game , the speech works for only a few seconds then gets no sound, won't kick out a 2nd ball after losing one or getting in the upper trough for multiball, and it just sits there in gameplay mode after you lose a ball . This is the new revision rottendog board that is supposed to work with black knight. I'm gonna email arcadeshop where I got it from and see what they can do.

#41 6 years ago

I think it's safe to say at this point that ALL new Rottendog boards will have this problem with Black Knight. ...I'm not sure what to do with mine. I bought it to 'bullet proof' my Black Knight, but ended up putting the original boards back in when the Rottendog would not work. Thankfully, it's been running great on the original boards.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingflatland:

Hello everyone! First post here. Just got my rottendog combo board for my recently acquired black knight and my game is doing the exact same stuff. Game boots, sound board works when hitting the test switch, all solenoids work and test good , and all switches work in the test mode. However when starting a game , the speech works for only a few seconds then gets no sound, won't kick out a 2nd ball after losing one or getting in the upper trough for multiball, and it just sits there in gameplay mode after you lose a ball . This is the new revision rottendog board that is supposed to work with black knight. I'm gonna email arcadeshop where I got it from and see what they can do.

Contact Steve at Arcadeshop. He is very easy to work with. I have not installed the replacement board he sent so don't know if it has the same problem. I will try to install it this evening and post back.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Contact Steve at Arcadeshop. He is very easy to work with. I have not installed the replacement board he sent so don't know if it has the same problem. I will try to install it this evening and post back.

Awesome, yeah for sure post up how it goes with the replacement board. I sent Steve an email yesterday and he said he will look into it. I just know I'm ready to play some black knight haha!

#44 6 years ago

Bad news. The new Rottendog board Steve sent me has the same problem - no sound and ball in play does not advance when a ball drains. This is an October 2017 produced board. It appears Rottendog has a systemic problem with this new version of the board. I am going to post these problems to the Rottendog forum with a link to here.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Bad news. The new Rottendog board Steve sent me has the same problem - no sound and ball in play does not advance when a ball drains. This is an October 2017 produced board. It appears Rottendog has a systemic problem with this new version of the board. I am going to post these problems to the Rottendog forum with a link to here.

Do they test these boards before they start shipping them out? Just seems like a tremendous oversight for them to be selling these boards and none of them are working correctly brand-new. I feel bad for you guys. If you still have your old boards, you may want to send them out to a reputable tech and have them repair/bullet-proof them if possible. I've been using original boards in my BK for nearly ten years since having the Coin-Op Cauldron fix them up for me.

Best of luck, guys!

#46 6 years ago

They work in the other dozens of possible games just not Black Knight. I have a rotten dog in my black knight and it works fine. Must be a earlier version.

#47 6 years ago

Yes, my earlier version board manufactured in 2015 out of my Blackout works in BK, just not this new version which was advertised by Rottendog as correcting any previous BK issues.

#48 6 years ago

Has anyone heard back from RD about the latest fixes? Or have they acknowledged that their latest fix still didn't solve the issue?

#49 6 years ago

Rottendog sent me a newly flashed U36 rom chip but that did not solve the problem and I let them know. I personally am not aware of any other attempted fixes. The replacement board that Arcadeshop sent me last week was produced in October - the previous board was produced in August. I sent Jim and Rottendog sales another email to let them know that October produced boards still have the same issues but have not heard back.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Well that's a bummer. Hope they get something figured out. I emailed Steven at arcadeshop a few days ago and he said he's working on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Williamstown, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Racine, WI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-ball-advance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.