Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20150622_191202.jpg
20150622_191254.jpg
20150622_191145.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am trying to add a shaker motor to Baywatch, I know it can be done, just need to know where to wire to in the back-box. If anyone has done it, or has a Baywatch with shaker and could take a quick picture of the wiring it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

i would wire it in mimic a game like godzilla that uses one.

Question is, does the baywatch software support this? What are you going to use to trigger the shaker motor? Does the software turn on one of the not used solenoid transistors for a shaker?

#3 8 years ago

I have been told it is in the latest code and that shakers were factory installed in the export machines, just hoping someone with a re import can shed some light.

#4 8 years ago

My Baywatch is a Japanese reimport with no shaker. I would assume mine is also an early production game because it has the plastic above the side ramp does not match the game play (iron man).

You could go into game play mode and monitor every unused solenoid transistor, look for one going low that makes sense for turning on a shaker. Look at other sega manuals with shakers and figure out what transistor they use to turn on the shaker motor, you might notice a pattern.

I would honestly be surprised if shaker is supported in the software, you never know though unless you look.

#5 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1995-sega-baywatch-with-shaker-motor-2000-green-bay-wi

This for sale ad is why I know it's possible. The seller told me it is Solenoid 15 in the diagnostic menu even though it says unused, just having trouble making it work, I think I may need an additional connection between PPB and CPU board.

#6 8 years ago

Shouldn't it be called a jiggle motor in a Baywatch?

I think that I would be tempted to find the code that supports it before I tried to install one. If you can find the code it should list which solenoid etc.

#7 8 years ago

Take a logic probe and attach it to solenoid 15 transistor output and make sure it is sinking low when the shaker would turn on. From there you just need to make sure you are using that output to tell the shaker motor to turn on. Crimp on a wire to the connector, and send it down to the shaker.

#8 8 years ago

Any luck with the shaker install?

#9 8 years ago

Not yet, had to order some more parts. Comparing it to my LAH I realized the ground wire had to be run through a TIP36C transistor and I didn't have any spares. Hopefully after that it will work.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

So I finally got what back to this project and ran into a problem..... While solenoid trigger #15 seems to be the right unit to use to control the motor, it is a Normally closed signal. I guess I will need to run it through some sort of relay to invert the signal. On to more research.

#11 8 years ago

Bummer, can you use the ELK-924 board like this Dr Who project?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-a-stern-shaker-motor-in-a-williams-bally-game-dr-who

Got so excited about your project I worked a deal to add Baywatch back to my collection, I should have it tomorrow.

Heck I was hoping this post would be a congratulations with a would you mind if I made a road trip to come check it out and make a few notes request.

Good Luck, I look forward to your next post.

#12 8 years ago

Waldo - I agree the ELK 924 board would work, but I am researching this solution first: http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM%C2%AE-Channel-Module-Expansion-Arduino/dp/B009T2M012/ref=sr_1_9

Just seems simpler to me to use the 5 volts from the pinball power supply for the control voltage, plus it is cheaper. I'll let you know when I get it to work.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

So I finally got what back to this project and ran into a problem..... While solenoid trigger #15 seems to be the right unit to use to control the motor, it is a Normally closed signal. I guess I will need to run it through some sort of relay to invert the signal. On to more research.

That is how the shaker motor works on DE games, it goes through a relay first. At least on my JP it did.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

That is how the shaker motor works on DE games, it goes through a relay first. At least on my JP it did.

Thank you for the tip - that makes me a lot more comfortable with what I am doing - and now I can download the manual and have a schematic to work from

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Thank you for the tip - that makes me a lot more comfortable with what I am doing - and now I can download the manual and have a schematic to work from

Again, like Barakandl wrote, does this game's software have shaker motor support?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Again, like Barakandl wrote, does this game's software have shaker motor support?

Yes Version 4.0 of the ROMs does support a shaker motor, I had my DMM hooked up to the CPU boards #15 Solenoid output. It changes state from low (ground) to open at least when the pop-bumpers are hit and ball launch while I played so I am confident the software is good. Just need to invert the signal with a relay and test it out.

I have extra shaker motors and mounts since I bought a surplus lot. If it works out I will put a kit together if people are interested.

#17 8 years ago

Nice work! A relay will do the trick to inverse for you.

#18 8 years ago

OK - I give up, while the reading on my multi-meter changes for the output, it must not be enough to change the state of the relay. I am not good enough at circuits to make this project work. I guess I will just pick an output or two to use as a trigger.

#19 8 years ago

Major, bummer! Do we know if the relay board in LAH has a part number? Guessing if we could get a look at the LAH setup BW would be very similar. I'll have to look up to see if MSF has a shaker, as my cousin has that game.

#20 8 years ago

Very interested to see how this project goes!

#21 8 years ago

Take a look at the schematic for JP

#22 8 years ago

what about following the gnr shaker motor thread , it was easy to install one in my gnr.

#23 8 years ago

Had a major break through on this over the weekend!!! I was having a hard time figuring out why the signal wouldn't trip the coil on the relay, the DMM would beep from ground to open, but the relay wouldn't go. Just by chance I decided to put a LED in the line to see if there was any juice going through the line; as soon as I added that the relay started working. So I have a wire coming off of the CPU board for Solenoid #15 - going through a 1N5404 diode - THEN going through a 10mm jumbo LED I had laying around - into the trigger for this relay: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFCE0Q

I powered the relay directly off the power boards 5V & ground - Ground also to the COM and the motor's ground to the NC.

I didn't have much chance to play, but the shaker is going with the pop-bumpers, center VUK (earthquake), shark VUK & right ramp so far that I noticed.

#24 8 years ago

I have no idea why this works when I put the LED on the circuit, but it does. If anyone has an idea why it works and what I can replace it with let me know.20150622_191254.jpg20150622_191254.jpg20150622_191202.jpg20150622_191202.jpg20150622_191145.jpg20150622_191145.jpg

#25 8 years ago

That's pretty awesome, congrats on getting it to work. I picked up a new Baywatch in a two pinball deal, now I need to decide if I'm keeping it and selling my No Fear or selling the BW. Your work with this shaker is making it very hard to decide.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

That's pretty awesome, congrats on getting it to work. I picked up a new Baywatch in a two pinball deal, now I need to decide if I'm keeping it and selling my No Fear or selling the BW. Your work with this shaker is making it very hard to decide.

You can store the No Fear at my house for a while If you need any shaker motor parts let me know.

#27 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Just finished modding mine. I worked hard to find a nice one to bring back into my collection. the shaker motor is a pretty cool idea...

#28 8 years ago

Need to add a shaker to mine!

8 years later
#29 30 days ago

Picked up a Baywatch recently and I’d like to add a shaker motor. I messaged the OP and they are no longer making this kit.

Does anyone have a kit for sale?

#30 30 days ago
Quoted from Tres:

Picked up a Baywatch recently and I’d like to add a shaker motor. I messaged the OP and they are no longer making this kit.
Does anyone have a kit for sale?

Hope you find one, it's great on the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 22.50
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-shaker-motor-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.