IMG_8179 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).PNG
IMG_8178 (resized).JPEG
CADA221A-0440-4489-A675-6F5F5A623BF3 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
thumbs-up_1f44d (1) (resized).jpg
A965529F-770E-47B7-844D-5D4838ECE449 (resized).jpeg
construction instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Count me in for a kit please.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#52 1 year ago

I’m in for one in kit form - not sure if you’re keeping a list, but please add me to it!

1 week later
#53 1 year ago

Just building up the kits, there is quite a few parts.....

IMG_3987 (resized).jpegIMG_3987 (resized).jpeg

How to build - I did a quick pdf:
construction instructions.pdfconstruction instructions.pdf

I've adjusted the output of each voltage regulator board to 5v.
I've flashed the latest firmware to each of the EP32s MPU boards, and tested each one. V2.05
I've tested each LCD display and adjusted the brightness.

8 Kits all ready to ship.

Kits - £60 GBP plus £20 International tracked/signed postage. So total £80 GBP.

I also have one fully built tester - GBP £100 + £20 Shipping = £120. (I can possibly find time to build one or two more out of the kits)

I have been through my messages and the replies on this thread, and taken requests in order:

On the list so far:
Big_Bob
RandyW
greenacarina
tilt101
pindel
Bele20097
jeffmvp
Drewscruis
rcotoia

Anyone above, please message me with your email address and I will send a paypal request for payment.
(Would appreciate a friends/family payment to reduce paypal fees, if you are happy to do that please?).

If you no longer require, please let us know and I will offer to the next people:

Waiting list:
Tsskinne
Jaxpins
matthess
Spunky1562
ChrisHibler
Sprout
Kpkube

Many thanks to all who have expressed interest.

#54 1 year ago

Message sent

#55 1 year ago

Hi AlanJ,

Message sent.
Cheers

#56 1 year ago

I’m interested in a fully built one.

#57 1 year ago

Message sent

#58 1 year ago

Most of the items have now been despatched. I had a question about how to test the tester, if you are building from the kit:

Once you have built the kit, and have checked everything is soldered up and placed correctly:
1. First do a bare test with no Lamp driver board connected. On Powerup the LCD should display the welcome screen and direct you through the tests.
2. Test a known working lamp driver board.
3. Then move on to testing unknown boards.

Check any lamp driver board for any obvious faults before testing, e.g. cracked header solder joints, broken header pins , dirty header pins, broken traces, missing or damaged SCR's, etc. Poor header connections to the testers LED display boards can result in incorrect test results. As you all know, headers should really be re-pinned !!

Be aware that a lamp driver board that has a short on the 5v to earth - will short out the power generated from the tester, so just watch out for that - symptoms are the tester hanging up or rebooting, the voltage regulator board components getting warm! Fix the shorted board before re-testing.

Any questions or issues, I am here to support.

Alan

1 week later
#59 1 year ago

Any new batches coming out in the near future?

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from Kpkube:

Any new batches coming out in the near future?

Hi yes I’ll do another run in January.

#61 1 year ago

Great, thanks. Please put me down for a completed one.

#62 1 year ago

I got mine just the other day. I will finish building it later today!

#63 1 year ago

I got mine built and it works great!! Thank you Alan! And count me in for any other diagnostic boards you want to build!!!
A965529F-770E-47B7-844D-5D4838ECE449 (resized).jpegA965529F-770E-47B7-844D-5D4838ECE449 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#64 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Ok folks, I've had two requests for these testers in the last few days (thank you I do appreciate it!). So, I will consider another run of 10 units, assuming we can get a bit more commitment? Anyone else in for one?
Fully built & tested and working, £100 GBP + Shipping £20 International Tracked and Signed.
Kit format - all parts provided, firmware flashed to the ESP32s board (you just need to solder & crimp a few wires), £60 GBP + + Shipping £20 International Tracked and Signed.
Alternative delivery: Economy Delivery (not tracked, so at your risk) £8.

I would be up for a kit.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

I would be up for a kit.

coming soon. just awaiting parts

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

coming soon. just awaiting parts

thumbs-up_1f44d (1) (resized).jpgthumbs-up_1f44d (1) (resized).jpg
1 week later
#67 1 year ago

I'd be interested if this is still avalable.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

I'd be interested if this is still avalable.

Still awaiting new parts, there is a bit of a delay in getting them.

#69 1 year ago

Talking about Bally / Stern test kit - I am just designing myself this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

It is an 8 X 6 switch board, so I can test a Bally or Stern MPU switch matrix without having to plug it into the cabinet or playfield. i.e. can test on the bench.

Each switch is a latching switch, so can simulate switches that should be closed most of the time, e.g. the ball trough switches on multi ball games, such as centaur, fathom, Fireball II etc.

I have put a LED under each switch so that the led indicates if the switch is closed or not.

This means the board needs power to drive the LEDs, so it has a 5v power header at the top as well as a header for the rows and columns.

I have a also designed a very handy MPU J4 intercept board:
This allows us to grab 5v power for the leds, and more importantly also allows us to access the "column 5" switch strobe data line which is inconveniently on J4, rather than J2 with all the other switch rows and cols.

I also stuck a 12v output on the top as I have a use for that in other projects. (e.g. to derive an additional 5V power source without overloading the SDB existing 5v supply).

I'll get some extras produced, if anyone can make use of these.

#71 1 year ago

I would be interested in a lamp kit also. Thx

#72 1 year ago

AT LAST!

I have received all the parts, so now I have stock to begin shipping Lamp Driver kits again.

I have set-up a Pinside shop. This is all new to me. I hope it works. You should be able to place an order. Price includes shipping from UK.

3 weeks later
#73 1 year ago

I received my order a few weeks ago and finally had time to assemble everything.
Assembly was pretty trivial. Just follow the instructions.

Success.
Check out first use here:

--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

1 month later
#74 1 year ago

Great tool! Worth the purchase, great job! 150.00 well spent

CADA221A-0440-4489-A675-6F5F5A623BF3 (resized).jpegCADA221A-0440-4489-A675-6F5F5A623BF3 (resized).jpeg

#75 1 year ago

2nd run of kits (or built) nearly sold out, lmk if you want one!

4 months later
#76 8 months ago

I'm interested in a lamp driver kit, message sent!

#77 8 months ago

There is a new batch of kits available now in my pinside shop:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs/07773-bally-stern-lamp-driver-board-tester-kit-self-build

get em quick as I have run out of boards and parts, so unlikely to make any more available after this.

4 months later
#78 4 months ago

3 Lamp Driver Testers left in my pinside shop. Slight discount for the New Year. Happy New Year folks.

1 month later
#79 85 days ago

One final tester kit left in my pinside shop.

I may do another small run, if there is any further demand, but it will be way down the line as I’ve got so many other projects on the go.

#80 83 days ago

After a suggestion from Bob, I have added a new test option to the Lamp Driver Tester. This test runs through all 60 circuits in "Q" number order. Q1, Q2,...Q60.

This is a software change and is compatible with any existing Lamp Driver Tester. Most of you out there are running V2.05 of the software. This option is available in V3.01

It is available here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qjjqV6VaeUMseNlsyCNeY84U8y9d9R19?usp=sharing

You will see a file called V3.01.bin

IMG_8187 (resized).JPEGIMG_8187 (resized).JPEG

Download and save this file to your laptop or Smartphone.

The lamp driver tester has a built in web server that allows you to upload new firmware to the tester:

Power up your lamp driver tester.

From your phone or laptop, under wi-fi connections, you should see a device called "RetroElectroLampTester", connect to it, the password is "password"
IMG_8175 (resized).PNGIMG_8175 (resized).PNG
IMG_8178 (resized).JPEGIMG_8178 (resized).JPEG

Once connected you should be taken automatically to the Tester main web page:

IMG_8179 (resized).JPEGIMG_8179 (resized).JPEG

If you are not taken here, open an browser and enter 192.168.4.1 - that will then show the above screen.

Click on the configure link, and this page is shown:

IMG_8180 (resized).JPEGIMG_8180 (resized).JPEG

Click on the "firmware update" link at the bottom and this page is shown:

IMG_8181 (resized).JPEGIMG_8181 (resized).JPEG

Click "choose file" and then navigate to wherever you saved the V3.01.bin file and select it:

IMG_8188 (resized).JPEGIMG_8188 (resized).JPEG

Click update button and wait for 10-60 seconds as the firmware is uploaded to the tester.

On successful upload, the tester will reboot and you should see the new version number on the initial splash screen:

IMG_8189 (resized).JPEGIMG_8189 (resized).JPEG

The new test comes after the single tests by Connector. (Hint: you can bypass the single connector tests by pressing the "Stop/Back" button on the J1-1 Test.

The new test runs through Q1 to Q60. (Again you can quit by pressing "Stop/Back" on Q1 test).

IMG_8186 (resized).JPEGIMG_8186 (resized).JPEG
#81 83 days ago

Well done Alan.
May I suggest leaving the older version out there for anyone who needs to "retrograde"?
I don't know why anyone would want/need to do that, but it costs nothing to leave it there.
--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball - My YT Channel
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#82 82 days ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Well done Alan.
May I suggest leaving the older version out there for anyone who needs to "retrograde"?
I don't know why anyone would want/need to do that, but it costs nothing to leave it there.
--

I've got the prev version saved, just in case!

#83 76 days ago

Working on a Bally SDB - Solenoid Driver Board tester:

It will test:
1. The 15 Momentary Solenoid Driver Circuits
2. The 4 Continuous Solenoid Driver Circuits (Including the Coin Lockout and Flipper Enable Relay)
3. The Two Flipper relay Switch circuits
4. The 5v Regulator Circuit
5. The HV circuit (I'm not sure on this yet, as we clearly don't want a tester board carrying 230v DC, so will experiment with some other ways to test the HV circuit.)

There will be an option to still be able to test, even if the SDB 5v regulator circuit has failed. (By providing 5v supply to the SDB from the tester itself, instead of from the SDB).

Aim is to complete the design, build a prototype board and see how it goes..........

#84 74 days ago

Just now seeing this cool tester. Any chance I could get a lamp driver board tester when I order the SDB tester? Or, has this ship sailed?

#85 74 days ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Just now seeing this cool tester. Any chance I could get a lamp driver board tester when I order the SDB tester? Or, has this ship sailed?

Just one left - see here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs

#86 74 days ago

If you are struggling to update the tester over Wi-Fi, then there is an alternate option to hook up a usb cable between your windows laptop/pc and the esp32s board in the tester (which has a micro usb connector on the board).

The update script and the firmware and complete instructions are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qjjqV6VaeUMseNlsyCNeY84U8y9d9R19?usp=sharing

Folder called "utilities" then folder called "uploader V3.01"

Follow the instructions in the readme file - you just need to find what COM port number your laptop assigns to the esp32s when you plug it into the laptop. Then edit the update.bat file and put in the correct COM port number (currently set to COM3).
Run update.bat

1 week later
#87 66 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Working on a Bally SDB - Solenoid Driver Board tester:
[quoted image]
It will test:
1. The 15 Momentary Solenoid Driver Circuits
2. The 4 Continuous Solenoid Driver Circuits (Including the Coin Lockout and Flipper Enable Relay)
3. The Two Flipper relay Switch circuits
4. The 5v Regulator Circuit
5. The HV circuit (I'm not sure on this yet, as we clearly don't want a tester board carrying 230v DC, so will experiment with some other ways to test the HV circuit.)
There will be an option to still be able to test, even if the SDB 5v regulator circuit has failed. (By providing 5v supply to the SDB from the tester itself, instead of from the SDB).
Aim is to complete the design, build a prototype board and see how it goes..........

Lmk when this is ready, I've been looking for a stand alone tester for a sdb.

#88 66 days ago

Quick update - still waiting for the blank prototype pcb to arrive. Will update as soon as it turns up, should have been here by now, but the UK postal service sent it to the wrong City, so it's delayed a few days!! Doh!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-lamp-driver-board-tester/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.