DSCF3021 (resized).JPG
DSCF3024 (resized).JPG
DSCF3023 (resized).JPG
DSCF3020 (resized).JPG
432634574_7749598628397685_223134258309380004_n (resized).jpg
432612097_7749598251731056_8975949391867158286_n (resized).jpg
Posts (resized).jpg
MPF Ball Guides New (resized).jpg
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 55 days ago

Spring is in the air on the east coast. I got a package of metal posts I needed. As well as new metal ball guides for the MPF.

MPF Ball Guides New (resized).jpgMPF Ball Guides New (resized).jpg

Posts (resized).jpgPosts (resized).jpg
#152 55 days ago

Did you use retailers for the posts, or did you find someone to make any for you?

#153 55 days ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Did you use retailers for the posts, or did you find someone to make any for you?

I bought as many as I could that matched from retailers. I have gotten some used ones recently. I still need more though. Just put up an ad. I need to figure out exactly which ones are still missing, now that the weather is getting warmer and my bones don't ache as much.

1 week later
#154 47 days ago

Having a beautiful 70-degree day here on the East Coast (MD). Got back to work on my Doctor Who #3 build. I installed all the posts, rubber Orings, and plastics on top of the PF. I hooked up the Trap Door on the left side and the one-way gate on the right side from the shooter lane. I have the MPF all built but will not install till after the PF is in the cabinet. I need to buy a cabinet and head. I have the decals and parts to build it out. I have all the coils installed and wired up to Molex connectors. The next big step is removing the wire harness from Dr Who #1 and match it up to my rebuilt harness, so that I can get the right lengths to match up to boards in the back box. Maybe I will just remove the connectors to the backbox and remove the PF #1 to match up wire lengths. More to come...

432612097_7749598251731056_8975949391867158286_n (resized).jpg432612097_7749598251731056_8975949391867158286_n (resized).jpg432634574_7749598628397685_223134258309380004_n (resized).jpg432634574_7749598628397685_223134258309380004_n (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#155 31 days ago

I am working on getting both Ramps installed with all the different size posts. I got real close and then found I had a 8-32 hex post and a 6-32 stud plate next to the Tardis. $12 shipping for the right parts as I want to move onto the next step.

DSCF3020 (resized).JPGDSCF3020 (resized).JPGDSCF3023 (resized).JPGDSCF3023 (resized).JPGDSCF3024 (resized).JPGDSCF3024 (resized).JPGDSCF3021 (resized).JPGDSCF3021 (resized).JPG
#156 31 days ago

Rebuilt Trough Ball Shooter Mech. New: Coil, Coil Stop, Coil Sleeve, Molex Connector, Spring and Red Rubber End. Basically re-used the bottom flat metal, 2 screws and the kicker part. Will install tomorrow.

Ball Shooter 2 (resized).JPGBall Shooter 2 (resized).JPGBall Shooter1 (resized).JPGBall Shooter1 (resized).JPG
#157 31 days ago

Coil wrappers are here:

https://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/coil_wrappers.htm

Select the one you want, right click open in a new tab.

In the address/url box backspace out the underline and the word text, and hit enter, you will get williams logo labels to print yourself on colored paper or in color if you have a color printer.

#158 31 days ago

Wow - What an awesome hack! Thanks for sharing

1 week later
#161 22 days ago

I am fighting/building a PF wire harness. I have one Dr Who torn apart, measuring wire lengths and figuring out what Molex back box connectors I need to hook into which wires. I am following the existing harness and also referring to the manual. I was missing a Violet/Black wire in the 9 pin Molex of J130. After lots of looking at the existing harness, I found it is a 6 foot wire 22 Ga that runs from J130 to a 3 pin connector that goes to the Knocker. Need another order to WireBot. I have a list of 8 wires I need, (Browns and violets). Pictures to follow in the day light.

#162 21 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

I am fighting/building a PF wire harness. I have one Dr Who torn apart, measuring wire lengths and figuring out what Molex back box connectors I need to hook into which wires. I am following the existing harness and also referring to the manual. I was missing a Violet/Black wire in the 9 pin Molex of J130. After lots of looking at the existing harness, I found it is a 6 foot wire 22 Ga that runs from J130 to a 3 pin connector that goes to the Knocker. Need another order to WireBot. I have a list of 8 wires I need, (Browns and violets). Pictures to follow in the day light.

Don’t forget to reference the Parts Index. It lists the wire by cable, wire color, gauge, and length (inches).

https://www.ipdb.org/files/738/Bally_1992_Doctor_Who_Parts_List.txt

Might not be stock to what’s in an actual build from the factory, but it’s the next best thing. Lengths in the indexes are almost always longer than stock. Figured it might be useful for you to reference, instead of measuring wires in a harness

#163 21 days ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Don’t forget to reference the Parts Index. It lists the wire by cable, wire color, gauge, and length (inches).
Might not be stock to what’s in an actual build from the factory, but it’s the next best thing. Lengths in the indexes are almost always longer than stock. Figured it might be useful for you to reference, instead of measuring wires in a harness

This is not his 1st game.

Game number 3 ! its gonna be AWSOME!

#164 21 days ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Thanks for the link. I printed this list out a few years ago. I even color coded many of the major entries and put topic headings as they are grouped relevant areas. I have spent hours reading this list looking for a certain part # only to find out that it is not available anywhere. I am comfortable making substitutions or even modifying parts to reach an end goal. Like you, I label everything. I make lists of what I am doing, colors, sizes, part #s. Even though I am duplicating what is in the manual, it helps me to learn and stay on track of where I am at in the build.

#165 21 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Thanks for the link. I printed this list out a few years ago. I even color coded many of the major entries and put topic headings as they are grouped relevant areas. I have spent hours reading this list looking for a certain part # only to find out that it is not available anywhere. I am comfortable making substitutions or even modifying parts to reach an end goal. Like you, I label everything. I make lists of what I am doing, colors, sizes, part #s. Even though I am duplicating what is in the manual, it helps me to learn and stay on track of where I am at in the build.

Just didn’t want you painfully measuring a wire through a harness if it would be easier starting with the Index wire length and then verifying I pictured you tracing a wire through a thick harness and shuddered

Wire-Bot is the way to go

#166 21 days ago

Progress...

I really do like stripping wire, crimping connectors, and figuring out where the wires go into Molex connectors. However, this PF wiring harness is kicking my ass hard. Last year I had already added new switches, lamp holders and plugs to the Playfield itself. figuring out the back box end of the harness is a challenge. I am missing wires. I cannot tell the difference between gray stripes and violet stripes. Faded Red and orange stripes are also too similar. I admit to being partially color blind, but I can tell my primary colors.

Back Box Connectors:

107 completed
118 To Do
120 To Do
122 To Do
126 completed
127 Partial - need Brown wires
130 Partial - need Violet wires
133 To Do
137 To Do
207 Partial - Can not read colors on wires, need to trace them out with VOM to discover.
208 completed
902 completed
907 completed
3 pin Knocker cable - need Violet wire
2 pin PF glass switch cable - need to build.

DSCF3004 (resized).JPGDSCF3004 (resized).JPGDSCF3005 (resized).JPGDSCF3005 (resized).JPGDSCF3006 (resized).JPGDSCF3006 (resized).JPGDSCF3007 (resized).JPGDSCF3007 (resized).JPGDSCF3008 (resized).JPGDSCF3008 (resized).JPGDSCF3009 (resized).JPGDSCF3009 (resized).JPG
#167 20 days ago

Im color blind.

Its easiest for me to KNOW that there are only 8 colors that Williams/Bally used.

The switch and lamp martix charts tell me the colors by their locatation.

This information translates whatever colors I see to a workable scenario.

It really does not help at all to have someone help me identify the color wire.

Since that person has no reference, that there are only 8 colors, they call out colors that arent even on the list.

So, its best for me to make up the colors in my mind (and not even name them as such) and just go with what I see and where the wires go.

I dont seem to have any trouble at all.

However I DO rely on packaging labels to make up new harnesses, and DO ask for opinions on say, orangy red vs dark green or yellow vs yellowish green colors.

#168 20 days ago

With the help of the Switch Matrix in the manual. I am tracing and verifying connections to all the switch, lamp, coil connections.

2 weeks later
#169 4 days ago

All Playfield wires are accounted for and terminated with Molex connectors and labeled. Installing bulbs in PF. I will need to buy more at Pinfest Allentown in 2 weeks.

#170 4 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

All Playfield wires are accounted for and terminated with Molex connectors and labeled. Installing bulbs in PF. I will need to buy more at Pinfest Allentown in 2 weeks.

I’ll gladly pour over as many photos as you’re willing to post Labels included

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
£ 110.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1992-doctor-who-restoration-build/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.