(Topic ID: 341541)

Ball suggestions? (for roulette wheel in Tee’d Off)

By TevB

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by TevB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2103 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2104 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
#1 9 months ago

Hey guys!
I have a Tee’d Off. I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to the 3/4” steel ball that’s used in the roulette wheel?
I think a lighter ball would make it more fun. I feel the steel ball is a little too heavy, and finds its hole quite fast.
This lighter ball needs to conduct electricity, as it acts as a switch.
Aluminum?
Thanks!
IMG_3733 (resized).jpegIMG_3733 (resized).jpeg

#2 9 months ago

Maybe a ceramic ball, like the powerball in TZ?

#3 9 months ago

The ceramic balls I found online are non-conductive. Do you know if the Twilight Zone one does? However, I need 3/4” diameter.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from TevB:

The ceramic balls I found online are non-conductive. Do you know if the Twilight Zone one does? However, I need 3/4” diameter.

Twilight Zone ceramic would be too big unfortunately.

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from TevB:

I need 3/4” diameter.

ebay.com link: itm

LTG : )

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Twilight Zone ceramic would be too big unfortunately.

You can get ceramic balls in other sizes.

Quoted from TevB:

The ceramic balls I found online are non-conductive.

Very, very rarely does the ball act as a conductor in a game. In this case, I'm pretty sure the ball just drops onto leaf switches in the roulette holes.

I suspect plastic may be too light to bend the leaf switches in the roulette wheel holes.

#8 9 months ago

Ball is not a conductor.

When the ball falls into a hole on the wheel, it closes a switch.

If the ball is too light - it won’t apply enough pressure to close the switch

#9 9 months ago

Look more to the snowshoe or similar wipers that contact the wheel for your trouble spot.

#10 9 months ago

Guys, thank you for all your suggestions. The zirconium one looks good, and conducts (a little). Here are photos of the wheel contacts:

Top-side
IMG_2103 (resized).jpegIMG_2103 (resized).jpeg

Bottom-side
IMG_2104 (resized).jpegIMG_2104 (resized).jpeg

Notice the wheel surface is metal. Given that there are no switches, I thought that the ball acted as a closed switch, connecting the dot on the wheel to the surface of the wheel, thus, closing the circuit. I guess that wouldn’t be very safe.
It’s just that sometimes when the wheel spins the ball does a good job of spinning around once the wheel abruptly stops like a real roulette table. But I’m finding some times that it almost always stays in the same hole. Just thought it would be more entertaining if the ball was lighter.

#11 9 months ago

petebest ,
I will see if I can decrease the friction from the wipers by raising it a little. However, from the YouTube videos of the wheel spinning, mine seems to spin at the same rate, may be a little faster.

#12 9 months ago

Those look like membrane switchs. If you (or the ball) presses the round spot, the two metal surfaces inside the membrane will make contact. So again, the ball doesn't conduct anything.

The Monte Carlo roulette mech used leaf switches--I assumed they just reused that again in Tee'd Off, since Gottlieb liked to recycle mechs over and over again without much (if any) alteration.

#13 9 months ago

ForceFlow
Thank You for teaching. I’m still somewhat a noob. I will eventually muster up the resolve to test the weight limit of the membrane switches.
Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Whitty Pinball Creations

2,520 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.