(Topic ID: 190954)

Anyone install a mini-split air conditioner?

By radium

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170603_170431 (resized).jpg
20170612_082131 (Custom) (resized).jpg
20170612_082310 (Custom) (resized).jpg
20170612_082121 (Custom) (resized).jpg
IMG_3783 (resized).JPG
IMG_3787 (resized).JPG
IMG_3785 (resized).JPG
20170423_190251 (resized).jpg
IMG_1610 (resized).JPG
IMG_1609 (resized).JPG
IMG_1608 (resized).JPG
IMG_1607 (resized).JPG
IMG_1606 (resized).JPG
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

I got an LG two ton outdoor compressor and a 24000 btu indoor handler. Seems like it's going to be fine for our whole main floor. I paid for then entire install and electrician, and enjoyed watching instead of stressing and screwing things I hope we love it and next year will do the bedrooms with a similar system.

1 week later
#52 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I've been looking into the mini split option for over a year for my garage in the West suburbs of Chicago. My concerns were how it would run in extreme low temps (minus zero) as I didn't want my pins to be exposed to the elements. Also, my garage isn't set up to run 230 and my panel is in the basement on the opposite side of the house. I have no idea on how much it would cost to have that extra wiring done but standard installation by me was $3500-$4000. That killed it for me so now I'm stranded in the basement, lol.

Mini split units will heat well down into single digit weather.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from bobhvacguy:

Mini split units will heat well down into single digit weather.

Also, doesn't the power go to the main unit, and the interior unit is powered from the main? You may not have to run the 220 as far as you think

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, doesn't the power go to the main unit, and the interior unit is powered from the main? You may not have to run the 220 as far as you think

That's correct, at least for mine.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's correct, at least for mine.

Yes. Power is run to the outdoor unit, and a coolant line, drain, and power line run into the house from there.

#56 6 years ago

Not on mine, both units needed to have power run to them. Mine was a Mr. Slim by Mitsubishi with the cassette style ceiling unit.

#57 6 years ago

I had two Mitsubishi Mr. Slim 24,000 units in my small data center. They both died after about 10 years of AC only use. Servers create enough heat. Compressor failure.

I'm about to replace them with same brand. Another 10 years will get me through retirement and maybe add value to my building.

#58 6 years ago

Interesting thing about mini splits is the metering device being located at the condenser. Always thought that was strange. I've been out of the field for about 10 years but the ones I saw installed had the breaker/disconnect located at the condenser which also powered the evaporator unit.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-install-a-mini-split-air-conditioner/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.