(Topic ID: 295153)

Any Interest in a Wade Repro PF for Count-Down?

By MikeO

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Minnpin65
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ali6 (resized).JPG
IMG_5405 (resized).jpeg
5EA074EF-B434-499E-B38A-A2D3F4543588 (resized).jpeg
8B7BE55B-2873-4857-92C3-0285DB458E3F (resized).jpeg
F8FF697B-7F8A-4FA4-AE16-FD3018AD2C75 (resized).jpeg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 months ago
Quoted from Minnpin65:

Bump...
Also, any idea what the extra cost would be for actual blue inserts rather than screening white ones?

Revisiting the comment I shared previously regarding blue inserts, I believe his issue is getting this translucent style in blue.

I recall someone suggesting getting all the inserts done in jeweled style inserts if the availability is easier/more affordable and you can get all of the colors. Personally, I would have no issue with that. Anything to ease his challenges to getting these done. But we would need to poll the list of interested parties before we commit going down that avenue. I'd hate to see folks drop out because of changing from the traditional style inserts to jeweled inserts.

#102 4 months ago

Why can't these inserts be 3d-printed? is it the material required for translucency precluding this approach?"

#103 4 months ago

Here is the updated list of interested parties.
I received a PM request from RightNut. And I'm going to up my quantity to 2. That puts us at 40.

I’ll reach out to Wade to get an update and report back here
2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut

#104 4 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

Why can't these inserts be 3d-printed? is it the material required for translucency precluding this approach?"

Don - that is a great question.

The simple thing would be to have some designed and made and then present them to Wade.

Is there anyone following this that has the capability?

#105 4 months ago

If there's only the two translucent blue I'd rather they be screened color vs changing all the inserts to starburst.

#106 4 months ago

Agreed, I'd rather sacrifice originality on two inserts than all of them.

#107 4 months ago

seems like with all of the maker-oriented products out there that sourcing inserts wouldn't be a problem. get some plastic stock in the right colors and have the CNC cut them out by the hundreds.
i've got a CNC but it's a handheld model so it's not conducive to making a lot of one thing.

1 week later
#108 4 months ago
Quoted from Minnpin65:

Bump...
Also, any idea what the extra cost would be for actual blue inserts rather than screening white ones?

They would need to be manufactured. No one is making them now.

#109 4 months ago

I dont mean to sound disrespectful by asking this, but is wade the only option for these small run gottlieb playfields? His work is great, but it sounds like if this even happens, it could be many years away.

Will the rights holders only work with wade or would it be worth checking with smaller manufactures like fantastic or beehive?

1 week later
#110 3 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I dont mean to sound disrespectful by asking this, but is wade the only option for these small run gottlieb playfields? His work is great, but it sounds like if this even happens, it could be many years away.
Will the rights holders only work with wade or would it be worth checking with smaller manufactures like fantastic or beehive?

There's no way another company could start up doing the proper silk screened playfields like Wade does, for as cheap as he sells them. The labor involved, alone, is too big of a mountain to climb. Wade's just able to do it himself because he's been doing it that way for so long and already has all the equipment. For someone else to purchase all the necessary equipment to make playfields using this same method(which is the way the factory did it), it would be beyond a reasonable cost for anyone to pursue. Plus, most everyone else, including CPR is going to digital printing. Digital printing will never match the color correctness or the vibrancy you get with silk screening and while some colors can be really close, a lot of others will never be 100% like they would be with individual screened colors. In particular, oranges and greens suffer the most with a CYMK process. They will be noticeably off from their original colors.

Reproducing playfields is a proposition of three factors: You can have them done fast, cheap, or correctly.....pick two.

#111 3 months ago

I'll take another. pinballplusMN -2

#112 3 months ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

There's no way another company could start up doing the proper silk screened playfields like Wade does, for as cheap as he sells them. The labor involved, alone, is too big of a mountain to climb. Wade's just able to do it himself because he's been doing it that way for so long and already has all the equipment. For someone else to purchase all the necessary equipment to make playfields using this same method(which is the way the factory did it), it would be beyond a reasonable cost for anyone to pursue. Plus, most everyone else, including CPR is going to digital printing. Digital printing will never match the color correctness or the vibrancy you get with silk screening and while some colors can be really close, a lot of others will never be 100% like they would be with individual screened colors. In particular, oranges and greens suffer the most with a CYMK process. They will be noticeably off from their original colors.
Reproducing playfields is a proposition of three factors: You can have them done fast, cheap, or correctly.....pick two.

I believe there was a company in Europe that just did this very thing, setup a playfield print screening company, but I think the key thing you've mentioned is cost, not sure we know the costs coming out of there yet, but I can't imagine it would be as reasonably priced as Wader's playfields are. I also think the market he serves has less demand than others in that for the most part the EM's he targets seem to be very low run. I can't pretend to know the minimum number of orders a company would need to run a playfield but I feel like it is more than the 30 or so Wade will do when he runs his.

There must be plenty of screen printing company's out there, but how many want to bother with the sourcing of plywood and inserts and programming the CNC and the gluing and sanding of inserts. With the rising costs of materials the margins must be getting squeezed as there is a max people are willing to spend on a playfield, especially on EM's who have a ceiling with their value no matter how nice the restore is.

#113 3 months ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Totally get all that. I guess I'm weird and I would rather have a 9.5/10 product than a 10/10 product in 10yrs

Oh, and beehive pinball that I mentioned screen prints playfields.

#114 3 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I received a PM request from RightNut. And I'm going to up my quantity to 2. That puts us at 40.
I’ll reach out to Wade to get an update and report back here
2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
1 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut

You can add me as well please.

#115 3 months ago
Quoted from roar:

There must be plenty of screen printing company's out there, but how many want to bother with the sourcing of plywood and inserts and programming the CNC and the gluing and sanding of inserts. With the rising costs of materials the margins must be getting squeezed as there is a max people are willing to spend on a playfield, especially on EM's who have a ceiling with their value no matter how nice the restore is.

If there were more than 3, I'd be amazed. When even the big boys that do nothing BUT brand new playfields start resorting to digital printing, the death of truly accurate restorations is nigh. When there is no gold standard to measure against, even that of a perfect, unfaded original, then quality suffers across the industry.

1 week later
#116 3 months ago

You can add me to the list as well

#117 3 months ago

I much cost a 100 run?
Are we in for a PF that will cost 1600$ in 3 years?
Curiosity

#118 3 months ago

MikeO

It's been about a month since you mentioned talking with Wade. Have you two discussed a possible timeline on production? I think I am speaking for the masses when I commend you on your efforts! Thank you!

#119 3 months ago

Yes, it is time for an update. I was on vacation late last month/early this month so just now getting back to this.

Let me address some of the points that have surfaced above in the last month.

1. Regarding the blue inserts - my opinion is to make life as simple for Wade as possible. Let's not add another obstacle to getting these done. This would mean going with screened blue art over the white inserts.

2. Regarding going with someone else to make these - I started this with Wade and my plan is to finish it with Wade. I've worked with Wade on the Wizard project and prefer to do Count Down with him. There are also other factors that influence this opinion/decision but they are not for public disclosure.

3. Regarding Cost - That will come down to what he feels he has to charge for this based on his expenses. As I understand it Surf Champ and Strange World were on the order of $850 plus shipping. I would expect them to be in the range of 10% more. Don't hold me to this. Ultimately life changes and where interest existed when your names were added to the list, that interest may not be the same when they get done. This is not a firm commitment on anyone's part. But we hope your interest is real. If not, please have us remove your name from the list.

4. Regarding Time Line - I'm hoping we can get this into his pipeline next due to the large interest.

I've been talking with Wade and it seems his biggest obstacle these days is cash flow. So I am considering being an investor in the project. If I take this step one of the criteria will be to put it to the front of the line. With that I would expect it would take on the order of a year to run. I'll share more on that as I get into it deeper with Wade.

He does have concerns about sourcing plywood blanks and inks but I believe he can overcome them.

Since the last update there are four additional playfields that have been committed. See the next post for the updated list.

#120 3 months ago

We are up to 44 playfields now.

Since the last update I received a PM request from aaron6920. Also, Radium and chrisnack are added to the list. And pinballplusMN increased his quantity to two.

2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
2 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut
1 - Radium
1 - crisnack
1 - aaron6920

#121 3 months ago

You can add me to the Count-Down list. My favorite game of all time.

#122 3 months ago

We are up to 45 playfields now.

Since the last update just now Navystan is added to the list.

2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
2 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
2 - Electriclou
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut
1 - Radium
1 - chrisnack
1 - aaron6920
1 - Navystan

#123 3 months ago

Thank you for the update!

Just a question…
In the past, when making these ‘one-off’ playfields, is it customary to ask for a small deposit in order to lock in an order and/or provide Wade with some cash flow?

If so, I could be persuaded.

3 weeks later
#124 80 days ago
Quoted from Minnpin65:

Thank you for the update!
Just a question…
In the past, when making these ‘one-off’ playfields, is it customary to ask for a small deposit in order to lock in an order and/or provide Wade with some cash flow?
If so, I could be persuaded.

I would be surprised if at least 1/4 of the total price is not requested for the deposit. This will allow the manufacturer to sell those at discount to liquidate his supply.

#125 79 days ago

Please remove my 2 playfields.
Sorry guys.
Good luck

1 week later
#126 67 days ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

I would be surprised if at least 1/4 of the total price is not requested for the deposit. This will allow the manufacturer to sell those at discount to liquidate his supply.

Wade doesn't like to take deposits.

#127 67 days ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Please remove my 2 playfields.
Sorry guys.
Good luck

Lou,

Sorry to see you go. Let us know if anything changes.

#128 67 days ago

We are at 43 playfields now.

Since the last update ElectricLou dropped out.

2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
2 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
1 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut
1 - Radium
1 - chrisnack
1 - aaron6920
1 - Navystan

#129 67 days ago

Add another one for me, I’ll take 2 total.

#130 67 days ago

We are at 44 playfields now.

Since the last update Electrocute updated to 2 playfields.

2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
2 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
2 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut
1 - Radium
1 - chrisnack
1 - aaron6920
1 - Navystan

1 month later
#131 13 days ago

Please add me to the list.

#132 13 days ago

I am not sure if you are aware that Wade and I teamed up on this title. The prototype was on display at Allentown. The inserts for the blue and pink look great. Please comment if you saw it.

IMG_5405 (resized).jpegIMG_5405 (resized).jpeg
#133 13 days ago

Oh wow, good news! Colors are a bit washed out in that photo, I'm sure it's just the light, looks great otherwise.

#134 13 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Colors are a bit washed out in that photo

I saw one of these at Allentown and the colors were saturated and vibrant.

#135 12 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Oh wow, good news! Colors are a bit washed out in that photo, I'm sure it's just the light, looks great otherwise.

On the latest slam tilt podcast Bruce and Zach mentioned that this playfield colors didn't look right on Countdown. They also didn't seem impressed with an Ali playfield. I just listened to it the newest one.

#136 12 days ago

We are at 45 playfields now.

Since the last update dos_reboot has been added to the list.

2 - MikeO
2 - Cheddar
1 - sandman74
1 - tomtest
1 - nocreditdot
1 - slochar
1 - swampwiz
1 - 29REO
1 - PHoF - Tim Arnold
1 - Alaskanzen
1 - Stretch7
1 - beadwindow
4 - PinWiz1969
1 - EJS
2 - pinballplusMN
1 - truemagoo102
1 - Hoaky Poaky
1 - thepinballworks
1 - c818919taylor
1 - Crimcyan
1 - jdoz2
1 - J-Freeze
1 - Pookycade
1 - Yancy
1 - schaedl
1 - sofaspud
1 - pinhead52
1 - Aaron B.
2 - Minnpin65
2 - Electrocute
1 - driph
1 - RightNut
1 - Radium
1 - chrisnack
1 - aaron6920
1 - Navystan
1 - dos_reboot

#137 11 days ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

On the latest slam tilt podcast Bruce and Zach mentioned that this playfield colors didn't look right on Countdown. They also didn't seem impressed with an Ali playfield. I just listened to it the newest one.

Interesting. Well they totally got me on the missing 0 on 10,000 on the Ali playfield. It is 10,00 on the first batch of Ali playfields but that will be corrected. Surprised that they didn't comment or say anything while I was there at the show. In the podcast they say they can see ball swirl from the scanned image. Well, this is all vector graphics done in Illustrator. There are no raster images used on the playfield, so they are just wrong. It is impossible to please some people. I notice in their podcast they talk about Ken and Karen. Well I guess they just joined those ranks.

Ali6 (resized).JPGAli6 (resized).JPG
#138 11 days ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

I am not sure if you are aware that Wade and I teamed up on this title.

Just curious, when you say teamed up, is Wade going to screen print the production playfields, or will it be a digital print?

#139 10 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Just curious, when you say teamed up, is Wade going to screen print the production playfields, or will it be a digital print?

Wade screen prints his playfields.

#140 7 days ago

Interesting. Well they totally got me on the missing 0 on 10,000 on the Ali playfield. It is 10,00 on the first batch of Ali playfields but that will be corrected. Surprised that they didn't comment or say anything while I was there at the show. In the podcast they say they can see ball swirl from the scanned image. Well, this is all vector graphics done in Illustrator. There are no raster images used on the playfield, so they are just wrong. It is impossible to please some people. I notice in their podcast they talk about Ken and Karen. Well I guess they just joined those ranks.
[quoted image]

Bruce can be a little blunt but he does give his opinion. The missing 0 is a pretty big oversight to be fair especially if they where printed at that point. I was just commenting they were not impressed by the podcast. Not trying to derail any efforts you have on the subject.

#141 7 days ago

I am not sure if you are aware that Wade and I teamed up on this title. The prototype was on display at Allentown. The inserts for the blue and pink look great. Please comment if you saw it.
[quoted image]

I'm getting cited!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-wade-repro-pf-for-count-down/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.