You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5007 (resized).jpeg
Stern Mod power1 (resized).JPEG
Stern Mod Power0 (resized).JPEG
#1 12 days ago

I have a JP Pro, and have no interest in spending $700 for the Stern topper. I'm making my own and want to add a small section of LED strip lights to iluminate it. I'm using the Govee RGBIC M1 lights that state they run on 24V/1.5A. Has anyone integrated these or other strip lights into the power on the Spike boards, or should I not even bother messing with it and just run it separately? Just thought I'd try to make it as clean as possible as the back of my pin is visible where it sits.

#2 12 days ago

As always, if you 'integrate' your mods into the electronics of the game, you run the risk of blowing up your $7,000 pinball.

Not recommended.

There is a 110v power source behind the silver plate underneath your power supply in the backbox.

It's a two pin plug, capped with a two-pin orange jack that doesn't have any pins in it. Unplug the power plug on the back of the pinball. Take the metal covering off by using an 11/32 nut driver on the back nut behind the service outlet (which you could use, but it stays on whenever the pinball is plugged in, not just when the pinball is turned on...). Then remove the nut right above the fuse holder.

The other nut is in the upper right corner of the circuit board with the caps. Then the metal plate can be removed and you can dig out the orange plug.

Stern Mod Power0 (resized).JPEGStern Mod Power0 (resized).JPEG

You'll need some .900 pins, about 18" of lamp wire (18ga). And two 1/4 inch terminals. Put the .900 terminals in the orange part of the connector, extend the wires along the bottom of the backbox, and close up the metal box by returning the 11/32 nuts.

Put 1/4" terminals on the other end of the lamp wire, and use some large diameter shrink wrap over the terminals (115v shock hazard here, be safe!).

The two terminals slide onto either your power supply, or sometimes I'll get a 3-to-1 power outlet.

Do something like THIS to power your mods, and if your LED strips short out it'll only take out the LED power supply, not damage your game.
Stern Mod power1 (resized).JPEGStern Mod power1 (resized).JPEG

#3 12 days ago

Thanks, decided to just run it down the back and I’ll cover the cable with electrical tape. Pretty happy with the result though Total of $75 and love the individual control of segments in Govee app and some of the effects look pretty cool too. I’m also going to add some 1/4” plexi with a vinyl of the gate behind to really give it a real “topper” feel

IMG_5007 (resized).jpegIMG_5007 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 300.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

6,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wellington, FL
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-led-strip-lights-to-stern-spike-2-for-custom-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.