• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by Yladdus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4615 (resized).JPG
Service Bulletin W-3_PS Inductor.pdf (PDF preview)
powerboard (resized).jpg
Schermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 19.09.24 (resized).png
IMG_4618 (resized).JPG
Schermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 13.05.22 (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Since +3 months I have trouble with my WOZ....!

At first all playfield lights went down (except for board #29)
When we tried to jump the (led)boards it did not worked out and we inspected the power driver board 15-0015-00
We could measure that there was no 7,5 volt coming from U5 (see picture).
Because this is such small electronics component and we do not have this part in stock we could not swap it.
We contacted JJP support (Frank) and we emailed and emailed and emailed and phoned and phoned and finally we got a message back (after 2 weeks). After the reply we answered the questions the same hour, but needed to wait a week again before we received another answer and question. We answered that email also within an hour and again we needed to wait over a week before we received an answer.
Then again again and again until we emailed back and forth for about 6 weeks.....pfffff
Finally I received an invoice and could pay for a new board!!! Then it took a week before it shipped and of course a week before I received the board (overseas shipping). Costs new board ($350 + shipping + importing + taxes = $500).
So you think it is over now!? Just install the board and we can finally play again after 3 months.

However now the game does not boot...!!!!! I am really getting angry about this!!!
For me JJP support is not working at all! I can email and email and buy parts and wait en phone but it does not get fixed.

Therefor I am trying to solve this myself by using the Pinside experience!

Hopefully someone here can guide me to have this game fixed!?

The current status is that the game has the "new" board installed but does not boot.
Some lights on the power board will go on, but no vent is turning, nor does the lcd display goes on or any light on the playfield..!
Moreover, there is coming some terrible sound out the speakers... I have a video of the booting process!

Really annoyed but hoping someone can help me finding a solution so we can enjoy our WOZ again (after +3 months of not working).

Thanks already!

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 13.05.22 (resized).pngSchermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 13.05.22 (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

Seems like there is no power to your motherboard. Check the replacement power supply and make sure it is set to your country power rating. What power rating are you by the way? Also make sure the fuse is not blown. Trace back the power wires that are connected to the motherboard, back to your power supply to make sure all connections are good, try unplugging and putting back all connectors. If your fan does not come on on motherboard or no LEDS then we will go from there. Start at the power connector I am pointing to first and then trace back from those wires.

IMG_4618 (resized).JPGIMG_4618 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Seems like there is no power to your motherboard. Check the replacement power supply and make sure it is set to your country power rating.

Thanks for your post!

Have checked both boards closely but could not find any (dip)switches or such on the power driver board..
If the power settings were on an other board they are probably just fine because it was working before.
In the Netherlands we have 220 volt.

Also make sure the fuse is not blown.

Have checked some fuses but what specific fuse should it be?
Since I can not power on, I am also not able to check the digital manual...!

Trace back the power wires that are connected to the motherboard, back to your power supply to make sure all connections are good, try unplugging and putting back all connectors. If your fan does not come on on motherboard or no LEDS then we will go from there. Start at the power connector I am pointing to first and then trace back from those wires.

Have reseated the connectors various times abut no leds/fans are going on..!

Have added a picture of the power board. If there is a switch to set the power country rating, please point it out, so I can try it.

Thanks !!!

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 19.09.24 (resized).pngSchermafbeelding 2017-04-29 om 19.09.24 (resized).png

#5 7 years ago

Without knowing your situation I can only advise following some basic troubleshooting technique:

Check the wall voltage with a meter.

Follow the wire from the wall outlet to the service outlet in the front of the game. Check the voltage at the thermistor etc.

Check the voltage at the on/off switch.

Check the fuse in the service box with a meter or tester.

Follow the wire from the service box or on/off switch the the PC. Find the ends, check the voltage.

Try to at least for now to see if there is actual voltage at the internal power supply board via the wires you traced.

Get back with the results and pics of your work so far.

#6 7 years ago

Also double check your cables and verify they are plugged into the correct plug/socket. Sometimes they get interchanged by mistake.

#7 7 years ago

Booting the PC is not a simple on and off proceedure.

Its an ATX system.

If power is available at the power supply and everything seems in order, then the power switch pins on the mainboard have to be briefly jumpered to start the current flow. This can be done manually or thru a relay etc.

If the ATX power connector is connected and power is available,
Im curious if the PC will start by jumpering the switch pins on the mainboard.

The PC isnt too complicated, if the ATX power connector and the 4 pin CPU connector has power available, it should boot, unless there is a mainboard fault. It seems that you have a replacement mainboard and it didnt fix the problem?

As was mentioned before, check the connections and check the power everywhere.

On a hunch I would suspect a power supply failure ( main fuse, broken wire, thermistor, bad power board? etc) of some sort before I supected a mainboard failure.

#8 7 years ago

Guys I might be wrong here but correct me if so, but did JJP have a bulletin about replacing the power board because they used a wrong spec component on some of the boards at some point, the component was smaller then spec'd what was needed. And they way to tell if you had the correct one or not was that the component should have taken up the whole outline space for it. Is it the component that I highlighted in the lower area? If so that maybe be the issue if that blew.

powerboard (resized).jpgpowerboard (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

Actually found it and it was the part I highlighted, you might want to have a look into that as your board does fall right into that time period of concern. Hopefully that's the issue.

Service Bulletin W-3_PS Inductor.pdfService Bulletin W-3_PS Inductor.pdf

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Guys I might be wrong here but correct me if so, but did JJP have a bulletin about replacing the power board because they used a wrong spec component on some of the boards at some point, the component was smaller then spec'd what was needed. And they way to tell if you had the correct one or not was that the component should have taken up the whole outline space for it. Is it the component that I highlighted in the lower area? If so that maybe be the issue if that blew.

Yes that is true! This is a picture of the old board. The new one has the upgraded part installed. So that is good!
However, it was only posted to point out where a possible switch was located for the country specific power setting.

Quoted from pballinhd:

Also double check your cables and verify they are plugged into the correct plug/socket. Sometimes they get interchanged by mistake.

When I pulled them out, I have marked (numbered) them, so I could not go wrong when reseating them. I am sure they were correctly placed.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

It seems that you have a replacement mainboard and it didnt fix the problem?
As was mentioned before, check the connections and check the power everywhere.

No, the game was working before.. now it is worse because it does not start up. Have checked the wire and here is voltage!
With the old board, the game would start up and play just normal. The existing error was that all led boards were off, except for #29
However, that specific inductor has overheated and burnt a +month ago. We have not put it on since.
Is it normal that after the inductor burnt, the mainboard dies as well?

#11 7 years ago

My Hobbit wouldn't power on and I thought it might be the power supply. Turns out it was just broken solder where the main 120/220 line signal connected. I just used a multimeter to track the voltage until I found where it stopped.

Hopefully it's that simple of a fix for you.

#12 7 years ago

You stated that the game booted with the old board, but there were errors.

Does the game boot with the old power board installed again?
I would re-install the old board and see if the games starts, even just temporary for a minute or so, regardless of errors.

If the game starts with the old board then the fault is in the new board or the installation procedure.

Sometimes when working backwards you will find the loose connector or a pin of a molex that pushed out of its housing or a broken wire.

#13 7 years ago

It is possible for a power supply to kill a mainboard but, its very rare.

Generally if the power supply fails then no power is allowed into the mainboard at all and its protected.

In the event of a catastrophic short (melt down, lightening strike etc.) then the mainboard will fail but you will see blackening of the ATX connector on the mainboard. And it may trip the wall breaker.

The majority (but not all) of the mainboard components are rated for 250V but low current ratings, so yeah a direct short can be devastating. But again its pretty rare.

#14 7 years ago

has the coin cell battery been replaced? i read some where 8n the manual about the chip having to always have power and u can only replace it while the game is on. u cannot replace it when the game is off.

just a wild guess. hope u get it working

#15 7 years ago

Coin cell battery, but only change it when motherboard is running.

IMG_4615 (resized).JPGIMG_4615 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

has the coin cell battery been replaced? i read some where 8n the manual about the chip having to always have power and u can only replace it while the game is on. u cannot replace it when the game is off.
just a wild guess. hope u get it working

The coin cell battery, whether or not its installed, will not keep the PC from booting, its purpose is to keep your CMOS settings intact so you dont have to type in the time, date (and specific settings perhaps), each time you start up the PC.

In the OP's case the pc isnt booting yet. All of the other errors can be looked at after it boots.

#17 7 years ago

Tried the power-switch on JFP1 pin 6 to 8 ?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Tried the power-switch on JFP1 pin 6 to 8 ?

Thats what I was thinking as a test...
Or maybe put the old board back in as a test to see if it boots.

The OP says its dead.

Sounds like no power or service box fuse.

#19 7 years ago

It's just a PC at the end of the day. Check all connections are seated correctly. Try putting the old board back in. Have you checked your warranty with the euro distributor ?

#20 7 years ago

I had an issue with no power once and it was simply the power cord on right if I remember correctly had come disconnected. It looked connected but was not. Ended up being a stupid easy fix but I stressed for weeks on that.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I had an issue with no power once and it was simply the power cord on right if I remember correctly had come disconnected. It looked connected but was not. Ended up being a stupid easy fix but I stressed for weeks on that.

Testing the power at the service outlet would uncover that fault.

6 years later
#22 7 months ago

Pinny80

Did you eventually got your woz working? Did you change the pc motherboard?
I am having same thing as your vid1 and vid2.

I bought from Freddy's pinball palace, Did register at JJP but never received the coil inductor issue and the free swap. Because I didn't know, my inductor coil burned together with some more components. No fuse was broken. Seems my motherboard is defect too.

Thanks in advance

5 months later
#23 57 days ago

Same no power to the MB issue here, it just died while in the middle of a game.
I tried all the steps in the brownout vid JJ put on YouTube, nothing worked.

Put a ticket in with JJ but it's been weeks with no update or response.

#24 57 days ago
Quoted from Yladdus:

Same no power to the MB issue here, it just died while in the middle of a game.
I tried all the steps in the brownout vid JJ put on YouTube, nothing worked.
Put a ticket in with JJ but it's been weeks with no update or response.

I used to have good luck calling them but I don't know if that has changed or not ?

#25 56 days ago
Quoted from Yladdus:

it's been weeks with no update or response.

ATX power supply behind the big metal box with all the boards, measure it's output voltages.

Power supply board inside the big metal box, check for a burned thingy on it.

LTG : )

1 week later
#26 49 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

ATX power supply behind the big metal box with all the boards, measure it's output voltages.
Power supply board inside the big metal box, check for a burned thingy on it.
LTG : )

My WOZ doesn't have an ATX power supply, it has the UPS board.

I did find this post for the same issue which I'm about to try the method.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-no-boot-up-on-power-on-problem-and-solution-bios-screenshots

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-not-working-no-start-up-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.