(Topic ID: 352605)

Transportation Question - odd one I know

By GCS2000

79 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ad2dc8de-739c-4c1a-b504-462d326fbba6_text.gif
    #1 79 days ago

So end of May my wife and I are going on vacation and running around to some theme parks, museums, zoos etc and on our trip we will be picking up a game from Spooky Pinball and taking a tour of their facility.

My car (Hyundai Santa Fe) will NOT fit a game in the back (love the car but wishing I had bought something else 2 years ago because of this - mistake on my part). I am considering adding a hitch to the car and then renting a trailer in WI (next door to Spooky actually) and using it to drive back home with the game.

Here is the issue - we are not coming back straight home from Spooky. We are headed to Chicago for a day and half and then to Kings Island area for 2 days before heading back home with the game.

My question - is there any sort of safe place to park/store a trailer with a game in it in these areas? We wouldn't want to be taking the trailer/game to the theme park parking lot or to places we are headed in Chicago (Shedd Aquarium and hopefully if we have time Stern for a tour).

I have given this lots of thought and I just can't fathom what I could do with the trailer and game for those stops. Fellow pinsider maybe but that is probably a bit of an ask - ie a trailer parking vs storing just a NIB game.

If I can't get this figured out we will probably have to stick with our original plan of renting a minivan for the entire trip (seems a waste of money but it is what it is).

I have looked at possibly trading in and getting a new vehicle because getting a different vehicle would solve pin hauling issues for the future as well as this trip but man the offers I am getting for my car are terrible. Love my car but this may be the last Hyundai I buy.

If anyone has any creative ideas I am listening, lol.

Thanks.

#2 79 days ago

Have the game shipped

#3 79 days ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Have the game shipped

That is not what my post is for so no need to mention shipping.

#4 79 days ago

While in Chicago, you're more than welcome to leave the trailer by me.
    I'm about 30 minutes straight west into the suburbs. Tucked between I294 and I355.
    Message me if you don't come up with any other options.

#5 79 days ago

I would have no issues leaving the trailer with an established pinsider. I would also have no issues with renting a van for the trip. You do what ya gotta do to get the game home. Or you could get traile hitch locks and leave it at the hotel parking lot. That could be a real hassle though.

#6 79 days ago

Rent the minivan for the trip. Plenty of companies out there that have good weekly rates.

It could cost you less than renting a trailer and installing a hitch on your car.

#7 79 days ago

I don’t understand this. I drive a Tucson and a game fits (not the box). Your Santa Fe is bigger. Wtf.

If saving money is important then you really need to consider having it shipped.

Also, any reason you can’t modify your plans and start with Chicago then pick up the game on the way back?

#8 79 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Rent the minivan for the trip. Plenty of companies out there that have good weekly rates.
    It could cost you less than renting a trailer and installing a hitch on your car.

Sadly no.

Going to be over $750 for a minivan for the time we need it.

Can get the hitch bought and installed for about $450 and the smallest U-Haul trailer is $185.

#9 79 days ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don’t understand this. I drive a Tucson and a game fits (not the box). Your Santa Fe is bigger. Wtf.
    If saving money is important then you really need to consider having it shipped.
    Also, any reason you can’t modify your plans and start with Chicago then pick up the game on the way back?

A Stern (not in the box) did not fit in the Santa Fe. It is the curvature of the opening. Middle is good but as soon as you get away from the center you go from 31" plus down to 29 very quickly.

I picking up our LT and have been told by Spooky that the head folded down it will be 31 1/2". I will be fine in the center of the opening but not to the left and right of center.

Once inside the opening there is plenty of height for sure. Its the damn opening on it that screws me over.

JJP games do not fit either. CGC remake fit ok so I assume a regular Williams game like STTNG would work.

#10 79 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Sadly no.
    Can get the hitch bought and installed for about $450 and the smallest U-Haul trailer is $185.

So it's an extra ~ $100 for the no-hassle option.

What's your gas mileage when towing? Count on about 1/2 your average.

My vacation time and piece of mind is worth way more than $100. YMMV.

#11 79 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Sadly no.

So "saving" $70 is worth the ridiculous inconvinience of dealing with this trailer?

No, it is not.

Rent the minivan. And get rid of the Santa Fe and buy a minivan.

#12 79 days ago

Rent the minivan. Saves you wear and tear on your car too. Don’t be gentle, it’s a rental!

#13 79 days ago

If you rent an enclosed trailer bring a padlock and you should be fine done plenty of trips with a uhaul not really and issue but Chiraq may be an issue can’t speak for big cities.

#14 79 days ago

Spent many an overnight at a hotel with a game in the back of our SUV. I spent a day at Hersyheypark with a JJP WoZ in the back of my wife's Outlook. Just cover up your game with a nice moving blanket, and most modern SUVs/vans have pretty good tint on the rear windows anyway. No one will mess with it.

+1 to just rent the minivan.

Later,
    EV

#15 79 days ago

Trade the Santa fe in and get a Chrysler Pacifica.

We've had ours for 2 yrs now. My wife and I were anti-minivan until we took it for a test drive. I now wish we would have bought it sooner. Plus it's a great pin hauler. I could probably fit 2 pinball machines in with the seats all folded down.

#16 79 days ago

Why the resistance to ship?

What are these costs to you?
    - The price of the auto rental
    - The cost of extra gas from either hauling the weight or hauling a trailer (will significantly decrease milage by 30% or greater)
    - The potential cost of damage to your vehicle and/or trailer if broken into

My guess is that paying for shipping would be significantly less. Even so, if you just don't want to ship for whatever reason, I'm with those that say rent a vehicle that the game will fit in even if it costs a little more. It will be more secure, you don't have to worry about hauling a trailer, backing with it, losing gas milage, etc.

#17 79 days ago

The downside of the rental is it doesn't solve my pin hauling issues going forward. I would have to rent whenever I need to haul something other than a CGC/Williams game.

Not going to a minivan on a permanent basis. Been there done that when the kids were younger. They are adults now no need.

I probably need to haul games 6 times a year max (and that is if I am super active).

As far as MPG with a trailer on the backend yeah it will suck for the last 4 days of the trip I know that.

#18 79 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Why the resistance to ship?
    What are these costs to you?
    - The price of the auto rental
    - The cost of extra gas from either hauling the weight or hauling a trailer (will significantly decrease milage by 30% or greater)
    - The potential cost of damage to your vehicle and/or trailer if broken into
    My guess is that paying for shipping would be significantly less. Even so, if you just don't want to ship for whatever reason, I'm with those that say rent a vehicle that the game will fit in even if it costs a little more. It will be more secure, you don't have to worry about hauling a trailer, backing with it, losing gas milage, etc.

We are not doing this to avoid shipping. We are taking a trip out that way and have added the Spooky visit and game pickup to our journey. Yes it is adding some additional miles and time to our trip.

The trip is not about picking up the game but yes it is cheaper to ship than any of these options (rent a van, trade in and buy a new car, put on a hitch and rent a trailer).

#19 79 days ago

Since it looks like you'll be putting on some miles, a rental seems like a good course to me. While perhaps the scenario of a vehicle breakdown is unlikely based on your newish car, a rental provides the benefit of being able to get a replacement if needed. An accident is certainly possible and I like to have that 'insurance' on a long road trip even when I could take my own. Not to mention saving all those miles (depreciation---if that is still a thing) from your car.

And then there is the issue of Wisconsin roads. While I spose that it should be just fine after bouncing around in a trailer, the smoother ride inside the vehicle is something I'd try to make happen.

And welcome to Wisconsin. Try to catch the driftless area if you can.

#20 79 days ago

If you are dead set against renting a van, you need to change the order of your trip so that you ARE going straight home, or at the very least, avoiding Chicago with the trailer. Alternatively, do you have any friends or family with a bigger vehicle that you could swap with for the duration of your trip?

#21 79 days ago

Rent a van

#22 79 days ago

Understood, but you can still go to Spooky, pick out your game, and just have them ship it for you. I guess I just don't understand what hauling it back home yourself adds to the overall experience versus all the negatives (cost, time, inconvenience, etc.) Regardless, it's obviously your decision to do whatever you want to, and you don't have to justify it to anyone (certainly not me). Personally, I just see the hassle involved and would want to avoid that part of the trip.

If your decision is to rent a trailer and haul it that way, then certainly find a trusted pinsider in a safe part of town to leave the trailer overnight would be your best bet. Personally, I'd be tempted to ask them to let me take it out of their trailer and store it in their garage overnight (something I would happily do for a fellow pinsider). Not that I've ever done it before (I have owned a variety of trailers), but it would be pretty simple and very quick to steal a trailer if you wanted to. If I had to estimate, me and a friend could back a truck in, cut the lock (depending on what kind it is), hitch up and be out of there is 2 to 3 minutes tops. Breaking into someone's garage that I don't even know what is in it would be a completely different story given the added risk and penalty.

#23 79 days ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

If you are dead set against renting a van, you need to change the order of your trip so that you ARE going straight home, or at the very least, avoiding Chicago with the trailer. Alternatively, do you have any friends or family with a bigger vehicle that you could swap with for the duration of your trip?

Sadly just not possible. Only option would be to just eliminate the end of our trip and just head home from Spooky.

I would be a little weird borrowing a friends car for 8-9 days and driving it 2k miles and them be ok with that.

As far as using another vehicle - not really an option. We have a company truck I can use which is fine but at about 18 MPG for the entire duration it would suck and not only that it is uncovered. I would need to buy a cap for it and well that isn't worth it.

Because of Spooky's work hours it cannot be any later in the week than Thursday which kind throws a wrench into things.

#24 79 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Understood, but you can still go to Spooky, pick out your game, and just have them ship it for you. I guess I just don't understand what hauling it back home yourself adds to the overall experience versus all the negatives (cost, time, inconvenience, etc.) Regardless, it's obviously your decision to do whatever you want to, and you don't have to justify it to anyone (certainly not me). Personally, I just see the hassle involved and would want to avoid that part of the trip.
    If your decision is to rent a trailer and haul it that way, then certainly find a trusted pinsider in a safe part of town to leave the trailer overnight would be your best bet. Personally, I'd be tempted to ask them to let me take it out of their trailer and store it in their garage overnight (something I would happily do for a fellow pinsider). Not that I've ever done it before (I have owned a variety of trailers), but it would be pretty simple and very quick to steal a trailer if you wanted to.

Well it wouldn't make a lot of sense in my mind to visit Spooky and not get our game. Its about $500 to ship to me. If I am going to ship it we aren't visiting.

We will figure it out. It may just be modifying our trip and be done with it.

#25 79 days ago

My advice - avoid Chicago. I live 30 mins away and vowed never to step foot or spend a dime in that City ever again.

#26 79 days ago

I don't know how many days your trip is or what the costs would be, but another option would be to take your trip as planned, rent a mini-van the morning you're going to JJP, then have two vehicles for the next day or two until you get home (assuming you have two drivers on the trip).

Then again, if you plan on owning your current vehicle for some time and you know for certain in the near future you will have the need to haul additional pins, then just get a hitch installed and go with your trailer renting plan.

If you can't leave the trailer with someone and have to park it at the hotel and/or other destinations then what I always do in that scenario is to find a prime parking spot where I can back in and get the back of the trailer up against some sort of solid/permanent barrier like a fence, a wall, a building, etc. (Similarly, I see semi-truck drivers park back-to-back all the time for this purpose). This way thieves can't break into the back (or if they do they can't open the doors or get anything out). They would have to break into the vehicle first and move it to get to the trailer, or somehow unhitch the trailer and maneuver it enough sideways to get to the doors at back.. Either way is risky and time consuming, so most would seek an easier target.

#27 79 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

As far as MPG with a trailer on the backend yeah it will suck for the last 4 days of the trip I know that.

Sorry, it's both ways. Drag & trailer weight is worse than the 250 lbs of the machine, and U-hauls are heavy for their size.

If you are trying to avoid this long term, you need a different vehicle. A trailer sucks when moving pins, lots of extra work on the day of the move. It's a half-assed measure (that many of us have tried) that you regret pretty quickly.

The numbers don't really work out though, but what ever does in this hobby.

Good luck.

#28 79 days ago

Is there an option where Spooky could have the backbox separate from the cabinet in advance of your arrival? Not sure if you have room for that scenario, or are comfortable assembling the two parts when you get home.

#29 79 days ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

Is there an option where Spooky could have the backbox separate from the cabinet in advance of your arrival? Not sure if you have room for that scenario, or are comfortable assembling the two parts when you get home.

I have asked and they will not as it voids the warranty.

#30 79 days ago

I hate driving in Chicago, and a trailer is a PITA.
    Leave it with a helpful pinsider out in the 'burbs.

#31 79 days ago

I have a buddy with Santa Fe and they easily fit a pin. Definitely would need to take it out of the box, but the game should fit fine.

#32 79 days ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

I have a buddy with Santa Fe and they easily fit a pin. Definitely would need to take it out of the box, but the game should fit fine.

Not a Stern, JJP - first hand knowledge they did not fit (GZ and a POTC).

Spooky will not fit based on dimensions at 31.5" of height needed.

As mentioned its the opening and how it curves down.

#33 79 days ago

I’ve laid pins on their sides before to fit them in a vehicle I once owned that had the same issue. Put a stiff pillow under the cab to support by the head. Never had any issues. Of course that was back in the era when old Williams dmd’s were a grand or 2 and everyone was just buying them to play them instead of turning them into museum pieces. I probably wouldn’t do that with a new pin.

#34 79 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Not going to a minivan on a permanent basis. Been there done that when the kids were younger. They are adults now no need.
    I probably need to haul games 6 times a year max (and that is if I am super active).

Hold up. So you're saying you *had* a minivan... And then traded to a vehicle that is less versatile in every way, while offering no added benefit to handling, ingress/egress, view, comfort, capacity, power, or mpg?!?

Style? is subjective but I'd say a Hyundai Santa Fe is not going to win there either.

In that light, it would sure nice not having to stress ridiculous self-own logistics problems 6 times a year or whenever opportunity strikes...

..So quit fooling yourself (you're not fooling anyone else) and just get (back to) the damn van.

#35 79 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

A Stern (not in the box) did not fit in the Santa Fe. It is the curvature of the opening. Middle is good but as soon as you get away from the center you go from 31" plus down to 29 very quickly.
    I picking up our LT and have been told by Spooky that the head folded down it will be 31 1/2". I will be fine in the center of the opening but not to the left and right of center.
    Once inside the opening there is plenty of height for sure. Its the damn opening on it that screws me over.
    JJP games do not fit either. CGC remake fit ok so I assume a regular Williams game like STTNG would work.

Chance of removing the backbox to make it fit?

#36 79 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

Chance of removing the backbox to make it fit?

Voids warranty and Spooky won't do it. I would have to do it myself.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

Hold up. So you're saying you *had* a minivan... And then traded to a vehicle that is less versatile in every way, while offering no added benefit to handling, ingress/egress, view, comfort, capacity, power, or mpg?!?
    Style? is subjective but I'd say a Hyundai Santa Fe is not going to win there either.
    In that light, it would sure nice not having to stress ridiculous self-own logistics problems 6 times a year or whenever opportunity strikes...
    ..So quit fooling yourself (you're not fooling anyone else) and just get (back to) the damn van.

We haven't driven minivans in 10 years so no I didn't just recently get out of a minivan.

Also up until 4 years ago we hadn't changed games or bought anything new in at least 7 years prior. We took a break for quite a while.

Now we are back into it and have been shuffling games. Will we take another 7 year break after we get LT - doubtful even though we are very happy with our lineup so it could happen.

After a long chat with the wife tonight we are probably going to just change the trip and perhaps skip the visit. Still discussing it.

Appreciate the thoughts from everyone.

#37 78 days ago

I can see it now:

ad2dc8de-739c-4c1a-b504-462d326fbba6_text.gifad2dc8de-739c-4c1a-b504-462d326fbba6_text.gif

#38 78 days ago
    Quoted from G35R6:

While in Chicago, you're more than welcome to leave the trailer by me.
    I'm about 30 minutes straight west into the suburbs. Tucked between I294 and I355.
    Message me if you don't come up with any other options.

OP, have you reached out to this guy? Looks like he can help you out.

I don't know what people think about trailers, but small trailers bounce like a motherfucker. I would not want a pin in a trailer. I'd feel much better inside a vehicle.

#39 78 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Not a Stern, JJP - first hand knowledge they did not fit (GZ and a POTC).
    Spooky will not fit based on dimensions at 31.5" of height needed.
    As mentioned its the opening and how it curves down.

My friend an I were just talking about this a couple days ago and he said the only games he’s found that won’t fit are the premier games that are ridiculously tall when folded down. Maybe his modem is older than yours.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transportation-question-odd-one-i-know and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.