Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Linus84
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 days ago

Good evening everyone! I'm new to the pinball scene (forgive me if I'm not up on the lingo yet, I'm working on it!) and was able to pickup a Street Fighter 2 pinball machine that was for sale. As a kid, me and my Dad would play this all of the time. I know it's not on everyone's list, but it was up there for the memories alone for me.

The machine itself is in GREAT shape! The guy that I purchased it from upgraded the lights, flippers, rubbers, and EOS before selling it. Now that I've gotten it home, I'm trying to trouble shoot a few issues I'm having. I've searched online and can't find anything that pertains to the issues I'm having so I'm hoping you guys can help!

1) It's almost as if the E-Honda, Sagat and Disholm shots are tied together. When you shoot the hole for Disholm, you can defeat E-Honda and then after that you get the torpedo bonuses tied to the E-Honda shot. If you shoot the E-Honda shot, everything works as it should. With it doing this, you cannot defeat Disholm, Sagat, or Zangief.

2) Blanka shot - this shot works, but if he is lit and and you launch the ball from a new round, it can defeat him. This switch should work when the ball rolls over it from the front and not the back. It seems to be registering both. Is there a way to adjust this so that it will not register the launch?

So far, everything else seems to be working great. I had to adjust the contacts for the top part of the slingshot and the contacts for the bonus points but they are working great now! Thanks again for your help!

#2 9 days ago
Quoted from Linus84:

Good evening everyone! I'm new to the pinball scene (forgive me if I'm not up on the lingo yet, I'm working on it!) and was able to pickup a Street Fighter 2 pinball machine that was for sale. As a kid, me and my Dad would play this all of the time. I know it's not on everyone's list, but it was up there for the memories alone for me.
The machine itself is in GREAT shape! The guy that I purchased it from upgraded the lights, flippers, rubbers, and EOS before selling it. Now that I've gotten it home, I'm trying to trouble shoot a few issues I'm having. I've searched online and can't find anything that pertains to the issues I'm having so I'm hoping you guys can help!
1) It's almost as if the E-Honda, Sagat and Disholm shots are tied together. When you shoot the hole for Disholm, you can defeat E-Honda and then after that you get the torpedo bonuses tied to the E-Honda shot. If you shoot the E-Honda shot, everything works as it should. With it doing this, you cannot defeat Disholm, Sagat, or Zangief.
2) Blanka shot - this shot works, but if he is lit and and you launch the ball from a new round, it can defeat him. This switch should work when the ball rolls over it from the front and not the back. It seems to be registering both. Is there a way to adjust this so that it will not register the launch?
So far, everything else seems to be working great. I had to adjust the contacts for the top part of the slingshot and the contacts for the bonus points but they are working great now! Thanks again for your help!

1. For the Zangief shot there is an opto I think it says switch 40 at the top of the ramp that needs to trigger before it falls into the hole. If you make this shot and get credit for the E Honda shot your opto isn’t registering. Go into switch test and manually try to trigger it. Same thing for Dhalsim. There is a opto after the hole switch 80. Sagat has a rollover switch B5 under the ramp that needs to be made first or it won’t register either since all those shots eventually end up at the e Honda switch. You can trigger all these switches with your finger during switch test mode to see if they are working.

2. This is how it works on mine as well. I haven’t played another copy of the game so wasn’t sure if that was the way it was designed or not, haven’t looked into it. It only registers off the plunge if the shot is lit to collect for me not just to give progress towards car crash.

#3 9 days ago

That makes sense!! Thank you!! In regards to the optos - those are just lights and once the light beam is broken, it registers right? They guy that had it before me said he cleared the board to install all new lights and then put it all back together so I wonder if he bumped something. Going to take a look at it now. In regards to Sagat - I see the switch for him and pressed it down but it doesn't do anything. Will try to trace that back. I can check those with a multimeter right?

#4 9 days ago
Quoted from Linus84:

That makes sense!! Thank you!! In regards to the optos - those are just lights and once the light beam is broken, it registers right? They guy that had it before me said he cleared the board to install all new lights and then put it all back together so I wonder if he bumped something. Going to take a look at it now. In regards to Sagat - I see the switch for him and pressed it down but it doesn't do anything. Will try to trace that back. I can check those with a multimeter right?

The optos are the 2 little black plastic things that point at each other at the end of the ramp. Yes just break the beam with your finger or a ball and it should register. You can try cleaning them with a q tip and some alcohol they could just be dirty, they could also not be aligned and just need adjusting or it could be a bigger problem. I’m not near my game right now, but if you can’t find them I can take a picture tomorrow night. As far as the Sagat switch it’s a rollover switch. I generally just press them down to hear a click. If there is no click sound it could just need to be bent up a bit so it pushes down further. If pressing it all the way down doesn’t give a click at all it’s probably broken and you need a new one. If it’s clicking and not registering then you have something else going on.

#5 8 days ago

Congratulations on your new pinball...

Sorry about the fact that it's also the start of your pinball repair career... *grins*

Steve Young at the Pinball Resource can get you a manual if you don't have one. Email him at:

[email protected]

A manual is VERY IMPORTANT when you own a Gottlieb pinball.

My advice to you is to figure out how to get into 'test mode'. It has a switch test that is very helpful for figuring these kinds of problems out.

If you end up having to replace the optos, it's possible that Steve at the pinball resource has the opto boards, but I frequently just replace the LED's.

I use QED123 LED Transmitters, and QSD124 LED Receivers, but this job requires some disassembly and soldering skills.

As far as testing switches, it's a good idea to test them with a ball instead of pressing on the switches with your finger. Your finger can press some switches further down than the ball would, and then you wonder why the 'tested good' switch doesn't work in game!

Good luck!

#6 4 days ago

Good evening all! Sorry for the delay - I was involved in an accident since my posting and haven't been able to reply or mess with the machine. Finally getting back to normal. I was able to test the switches and Optos with my hand and a ball and none are working on those ramps. I did purchase a mutli-meter prior to my accident so I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a reading on the multimeter to just confirm that power is at least reaching the switches? Could this be a fuse issue? I looked at those and none look blown from what I could tell. I could check those with a mutli-meter right?

I did the switch test and under "Self Test 5" It says "inoperative switches - switch:15 - Car Hit & switch: 81 - Car Smashed (Opto)" - Does that mean that these are bad??? It didn't really stop at anything else.

I was looking at Marco Specialties and found a few items. Can you guys look at that site and tell me what I may need to swap the Zangieff, Dishalm, and Sagat switches? https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Street%20fighter%202&VIEW_SIZE=12&VIEW_INDEX=1&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

Thanks guys!

#7 3 days ago
Quoted from Linus84:

Good evening all! Sorry for the delay - I was involved in an accident since my posting and haven't been able to reply or mess with the machine. Finally getting back to normal. I was able to test the switches and Optos with my hand and a ball and none are working on those ramps. I did purchase a mutli-meter prior to my accident so I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a reading on the multimeter to just confirm that power is at least reaching the switches? Could this be a fuse issue? I looked at those and none look blown from what I could tell. I could check those with a mutli-meter right?
I did the switch test and under "Self Test 5" It says "inoperative switches - switch:15 - Car Hit & switch: 81 - Car Smashed (Opto)" - Does that mean that these are bad??? It didn't really stop at anything else.
I was looking at Marco Specialties and found a few items. Can you guys look at that site and tell me what I may need to swap the Zangieff, Dishalm, and Sagat switches? https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Street%20fighter%202&VIEW_SIZE=12&VIEW_INDEX=1&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy
Thanks guys!

For the inoperative switches I believe with this system those are switches that haven’t been triggered in a certain number of games. Possible no one has done the car crash mode in awhile? Does the car crash work when you play it in the game?

Yes always test fuses with a meter, probably 90% of them look blown but 10% might look ok and be bad. You have to take them out to test them a fuse puller is preferable but not necessary
Depends on what meter you have, some have a beep test or continuity test mode where you can just touch each end to the fuse ends and it will beep if it’s good.
If not set to the lowest ohm setting. If when you touch the leads to each end of the fuse it changes to a low resistance reading it’s good, if it stays the same as when you aren’t touching the leads together it’s bad. If you are still unsure how to do this there are several short YouTube videos that demonstrate it. If you can see which fuse goes to which switch in the manual it would save you some time and possibly save you a headache no need to pull a bunch of fuses if they are good and you risk breaking the fuse holder especially on these older games

#8 3 days ago

The car crash loads and sometimes it will register the hits and most of the time it doesn't. Lights and all that come on in that mode just fine. Was going to look into that after I get these other switches working LOL. I know I can get this thing 100%. :]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-help-new-to-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.