• Latest reply 36 days ago by 22troy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0951 (resized).jpeg
#1 45 days ago

I have a Beatles Gold on location at my Arcade bar and noticed a while back the first 2 inserts coming out of the shooter lane were getting beat. I applied Mylar to the area and it progressively got worse. I had another Beatles Gold prior to this one, and didn’t have this issue so this playfield does seem defective. On the first insert half of the insert is gone and the second insert is on its way to breaking through. I’m waiting to hear back from Stern to see if they will do anything to remedy this, but I don’t have high hopes.

I’ve never had this issue in over 20 years of collecting pinball machines. Also this isn’t me bashing Stern because I’ve always liked their products. I know stuff happens. I was going to attempt to swap out the inserts, but that’s something I’ve never done before. Any help would be appreciated. I’m thinking of heating up the insert from the bottom to pop them out, but wondering if I need to score of what’s left of the clearcoat to prevent chipping the playfield. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

IMG_0951 (resized).jpegIMG_0951 (resized).jpeg

#2 45 days ago
Quoted from 22troy:

I have a Beatles Gold on location at my Arcade bar and noticed a while back the first 2 inserts coming out of the shooter lane were getting beat. I applied Mylar to the area and it progressively got worse. I had another Beatles Gold prior to this one, and didn’t have this issue so this playfield does seem defective. On the first insert half of the insert is gone and the second insert is on its way to breaking through. I’m waiting to hear back from Stern to see if they will do anything to remedy this, but I don’t have high hopes.
I’ve never had this issue in over 20 years of collecting pinball machines. Also this isn’t me bashing Stern because I’ve always liked their products. I know stuff happens. I was going to attempt to swap out the inserts, but that’s something I’ve never done before. Any help would be appreciated. I’m thinking of heating up the insert from the bottom to pop them out, but wondering if I need to score of what’s left of the clearcoat to prevent chipping the playfield. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Wow, that's nasty. Ball-launching right onto inserts repeatedly is apparently a bad idea. Who knew? No one at Stern, apparently.

Removing inserts from a cleared playfield is not for the faint of heart. As you suspected, you need to score the top to free it from the clear, then heat up the glue underneath and tap it out while the glue is still hot, then put in the replacement insert, level it, put some clear nail polish to fill the groove on top between the insert and the playfield clear, then re-glue the bottom to set it. Lots of places for that to go wrong.

Whatever way you go, I'd see if stern has any playfields and buy one of those so it's available when this comes off route. They'll just be harder to get in the future as time goes on until they're eventually unobtanium. Once you eventually swapped it out, you could send the old playfield out to have the broken inserts replaced and the whole thing recleared by someone like Ron Kruzman (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread).

#3 45 days ago

Excellent! Thanks for the direction PinMonk!

#4 41 days ago
Quoted from 22troy:

Excellent! Thanks for the direction PinMonk!

If you go the treacherous DIY route, once the clear nail polish has hardened and the groove around the insert feels flat (groove filled with the polish), make a mylar circle much larger than the insert to protect the area.

Having Ron fix and re-clear the playfield is the best way, but also the most expensive.

#5 41 days ago

Yeesh that is nasty. Makes me wonder if laying down some Mylar on the drop area would be the way to go. Not sure if it would cause issues though when hitting loops.

#6 39 days ago

I had Mylar over the top of the area when I started to notice an issue. I’m sure the Mylar postponed the issue, but didn’t stop it from happening. I’ve got 3 layers of Mylar over the affected area now to make it playable.

I did hear back from Stern. They said they sent this to their quality department for them to look over. Fingers crossed they help me out.

#7 37 days ago
Quoted from 22troy:

I had Mylar over the top of the area when I started to notice an issue. I’m sure the Mylar postponed the issue, but didn’t stop it from happening. I’ve got 3 layers of Mylar over the affected area now to make it playable.
I did hear back from Stern. They said they sent this to their quality department for them to look over. Fingers crossed they help me out.

Hey Troy. Just wondering if Stern gave you a resolution yet?

#8 37 days ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Hey Troy. Just wondering if Stern gave you a resolution yet?

They did. They are sending me an unpopulated playfield, but it’s currently not in stock so I’m going to attempt to fix this one and wait for the new one to swap out.

#9 37 days ago

Nice! Did they mention any preventative adjustments to make or just Mylar and hope. Ha!

#10 36 days ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Nice! Did they mention any preventative adjustments to make or just Mylar and hope. Ha!

So I had a Beatles before that didn’t have this issue with a lot of plays as well. I’m fairly certain this was around the time they were having issues with the clearcoat on the playfields, but not totally sure. I’ll probably put 10 layers of Mylar on that area when I switch it over. Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Muskegon, MI
$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Machine - For Sale
Mead, CO
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-beatles-gold-playfield-issue-and-possible-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.