Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jrcmlc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Will need to haul 2 pins home from 14 hours away, probably fly and rent from avis... Wondering what vehicles I can get 2 in? Will a tahoe or Yukon work or must I minivan it? Lol

#2 1 year ago

Tahoe/Yukon works if rear seats are laid down. Depending on machines(heads attached- hinged) ,you put one machine in head first and the other shooter first.
    Heads opposite of each other.
    Me personally I would prefer the minivan for softer more comfortable ride and extra 8-10 mpg.

-Mike

#3 1 year ago

2012 Honda pilot. 1 machine across the back, head removed all the way up against the front seats. Second pin straight behind it with the first head next to it. I have removed the shooter rod on game 2 in some games

#4 1 year ago

Anything that will fit a 4×8 sheet of plywood flat with a tall enough opening will fit 2 pins.

#5 1 year ago

Minivan is by far the easiest. Worth the extra $ in my opinion.

Loading, unloading will be a a breeze compared to an SUV.

SUVs are for moving one game, not two.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Minivan is by far the easiest. Worth the extra $ in my opinion.
    Loading, unloading will be a a breeze compared to an SUV.
    SUVs are for moving one game, not two.

SUVs are also great for taking kids to soccer.
    Get the minivan for moving pins.

#7 1 year ago

Get a fullsize van and you could pickup 4 maybe 5 easy.. if you have a high roof you can go vertical and really pack 'em in.

#8 1 year ago

Honda Odyssey. If it's available...get it. Bottom line.

#9 1 year ago

I've hauled one lots of times in an SUV, lately been using my 4runner with no problem, but 2 at a time and likely having to get it from avis at the airport is going to be the next challenge. Thanks everyone. Minivan FTW. sigh.

#10 1 year ago

Minivan for all my pin and dead body moves.

#11 1 year ago

I just hauled 2 games in a Dodge Grand caravan. I can fit 4 in a grand caravan. If heads come off 2.

#12 1 year ago

Ford Flex if you take the head off of one game.

#13 1 year ago

Get a Chrysler Pacifica. The seats fold into the floor and you can easily fit two games. I don't think most other minivans have the seats that fold into the floor, some have to be removed or pushed forward.

#14 1 year ago

Wondering how prevalent Chrysler Pacifica's are at Avis. LOL

Quoted from MikeS:

Get a Chrysler Pacifica. The seats fold into the floor and you can easily fit two games. I don't think most other minivans have the seats that fold into the floor, some have to be removed or pushed forward.

#15 1 year ago

Why aren’t you just shipping them? Dropping off a rental 14 hours away ain’t cheap.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Wondering how prevalent Chrysler Pacifica's are at Avis. LOL

I'm not sure how prevalent they are at Avis but they are the most common rental minivan. I've rented one several times through other agencies. The Pacifica I have at home was a former rental vehicle with 20k miles when I bought it.

#17 1 year ago

This is a fair point, but with avis I get free mileage regardless of one way or not and both games are fully restored and just want to handle it myself.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why aren’t you just shipping them? Dropping off a rental 14 hours away ain’t cheap.

#18 1 year ago

I would not have thought this. I will check into it. Thanks.

Quoted from MikeS:

I'm not sure how prevalent they are at Avis but they are the most common rental minivan. I've rented one several times through other agencies. The Pacifica I have at home was a former rental vehicle with 20k miles when I bought it.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

This is a fair point, but with avis I get free mileage regardless of one way or not and both games are fully restored and just want to handle it myself.

Might be free mileage but there is a big service charge for not returning it to the same place. These fees change a lot based on where the end points are.

GL.

#20 1 year ago

I can't see if you put a value on your time that flying/driving makes even remote sense. You should be able to ship both door to door insured for under a grand. Between airfare, gas, the rental, and your time, how are you coming out ahead on this?

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

GM has the patent on the captains chairs folding into the floor, but all the other mini vans have the back bench fold into the floor. Just have to manually take out the captains.

#22 1 year ago

Might be free mileage but there is a big service charge for not returning it to the same place. These fees change a lot based on where the end points are.
    GL.

I just experienced this when I tried to rent from one place and drop off in another. For like 5 hours of driving it was like $600 bucks. Haha. No thanks.

#23 1 year ago

Rentals can be one way,I've done it with Enterprise.
    Sometimes machines are worth doing the shipping personally. The insurance coverage doesn't matter when a restored machine is wrecked because someone on the dock doesn't care what it means to you.
    -Mike

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

I would not have thought this. I will check into it. Thanks.

It might be branded as the Chrysler Voyager now but it's the same thing. It's just the trim for the rental fleets.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Rentals can be one way,I've done it with Enterprise.
    Sometimes machines are worth doing the shipping personally. The insurance coverage doesn't matter when a restored machine is wrecked because someone on the dock doesn't care what it means to you.
    -Mike

Like I said they change based on end points. Sometimes you get lucky and are heading where they want cars.

But this is a 3 day trip with airfare rental gas and probably hotel. Unless it’s some super rare machines I’d crate them and ship. Even HEP machines get shipped.

#26 1 year ago

It's a one day trip lol, fly out, grab rental, drive home. I'll see about shipping. Who should I be talking to, I've seen negative posts about several carriers it seems.

Like I said they change based on end points. Sometimes you get lucky and are heading where they want cars.
    But this is a 3 day trip with airfare rental gas and probably hotel. Unless it’s some super rare machines I’d crate them and ship. Even HEP machines get shipped.

#27 1 year ago

The only way it makes sense is because I get to be the only one handling them. Maybe I'll see about shipping and how much insurance will cover. They're not rare, but there would be a time cost in replicating them to be sure.

Quoted from WalrusPin:

I can't see if you put a value on your time that flying/driving makes even remote sense. You should be able to ship both door to door insured for under a grand. Between airfare, gas, the rental, and your time, how are you coming out ahead on this?

#28 1 year ago

This does not apply to me with avis, fortunately. Unfortunately for the locations I need, I don't see mini vans available. So it might end up being shipped.

GL.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

This does not apply to me with avis, fortunately. Unfortunately for the locations I need, I don't see mini vans available. So it might end up being shipped.

Your plan is a good one. I have flown and hired a minivan back home a bunch of times.

However, times seem to have changed. I live in Texas so flying north in autumn and hiring was doable before Covid. Now price breaks for getting rentals south before the winter sets in, seems not a rental thing anymore.

Also I used to go with my wife or son to spend some one on one time and it was a great time for me. My son now is in college and always busy and my wife I fear only went with me to make sure I arrived home in a decent time.

Unless the game is delicate and risky to ship I get picked up.

Steve J

#30 1 year ago

I'm going to see about shipping also.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

GM has the patent on the captains chairs folding into the floor, but all the other mini vans have the back bench fold into the floor. Just have to manually take out the captains.

When did that start? I had a 2005 Dodge Grand caravan with "stow and go" seating. I hardly every had the captains chairs up.

#32 1 year ago

GL.

All depends on the pickup and drop locations. I've done different drop locations a ton and tend to see lower cost. But I'm usually flying out of larger more populated areas vs flight in.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

When did that start? I had a 2005 Dodge Grand caravan with "stow and go" seating. I hardly every had the captains chairs up.

They are owned by the same company. Same owners of Chrysler. Maybe GM is the wrong company.

That’s why caravan and Pacifica have stow n go and no one else does.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Will need to haul 2 pins home from 14 hours away, probably fly and rent from avis... Wondering what vehicles I can get 2 in? Will a tahoe or Yukon work or must I minivan it? Lol

Probably can't rent it, but I've had only Honda Odysseys since 2000 because they are awesome pinhaulers. You can get 2 or sometimes even 3 pins in one if you remove the middle seats and lay down the back row.

#35 1 year ago

Appreciate all the info, I just woke up jet lagged AF from 2 days of traveling and one of the 2 machines somehow got sold out from under me during the time I was off-grid, so this has become a non-issue, but knowing what they fit in and that the van rental is the "move", also found a couple pinsiders that move them for people, so all in all really useful. Thanks everyone!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hauling-2-pins-together-which-vehicle- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.