2%
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep/ Black Sheep Squadron 6 votes
    6%
  • CPA Sharpey 0 votes
  • Operation Petticoat 1 vote
    1%
  • Tour of Duty 2 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 94 votes by 73 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MV5BZmIxNWI5OTktMTIyYS00ZTFiLWJhYmMtMGRkZTdmMDBjN2QwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIwMjQxODA@._V1_ (resized).jpg
MV5BZWYyYmRiZGUtYTgyMy00Njk2LWI4OTAtMmY4MDExNmNhYjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjczMTMxNTI@._V1_ (resized).jpg
MV5BYzgyZWNkZDEtNjMzYy00YzUwLWJhYTMtMzg1ZjRjMjE5OTRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzNTE3NDA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
dads army (resized).jpg
tumblr_8283cd744f8000a18eca9c40ee717a93_71d03b27_400.gif
main-qimg-de2581cebce60c6b6c272056952740ef-lq (resized).jpeg
MV5BZTRjMWY2M2EtZDRhMS00ZmYzLWJjNmQtNDQ2YTk1OTM3MTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2ODUxNTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.18.06?PM (resized).png
MV5BZTJlMjcxODAtYWYwNi00OGQzLWJhYjktYTI4MTE0OTdkZjliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1MjUwNTk@._V1_ (resized).jpg
RA (resized).jpg
Paul_Burke_Twelve_OClock_High_1965 (resized).JPG
MV5BYWY0NDU3NmItMzQ5Ny00ZWMwLWJlNzQtNDI3M2Y2MzVmMWE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXN3aWZ0dw@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 15 days ago

For me it's all about Combat! starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. But I have also been known to enjoy Seal Team and Rat Patrol.

I will add a poll when a decent amount of suggestions are in.

p183982_b_h9_ad (resized).jpgp183982_b_h9_ad (resized).jpg
#2 15 days ago

Gomer Pyle didn't even make the sitcom thread. Can he do better here?

a47N2E.gifa47N2E.gif
#3 15 days ago

Generation Kill was pretty good.

GK.jpgGK.jpg
#4 15 days ago

Band Of Brothers

#5 15 days ago
Quoted from cait001:

Band Of Brothers

I just started to rewatch that again last week after 10 years.
My pick is the sky network series Das Boot. The first 2 seasons you are clinching your seat the whole time from the intensity. I'm more of a naval combat guy.

#7 15 days ago

Dad's Army

#8 15 days ago

I remember watching MASH 4077 with my dad as a kid.
-Mike

#9 15 days ago

Does Intergalactic count?

#10 15 days ago

Don Shipley.

#11 15 days ago

I guess it was about 66 I remember watching Combat and 12 OClock High with Dad. We had 1 tv, it was RCA. We the color went away on the right side it was my job to get up and whap it on the side.
Never had to hit it durring Combat or 12 O'Clock High.... Wonder why?

#12 15 days ago

M*A*S*H
so many emotions and consequences of war. Also watching my with my Dad

Not a series , but loved watching Military Tattoos , Dad was a Military Policeman in East Africa.

#13 15 days ago

Hogan's Heroes

#14 15 days ago

M*A*S*H
First show to nail it back when TV was all bubble gum.

#15 15 days ago

Sharpe with Sean Bean

#16 15 days ago

Band of brothers easily destroys any other. Easily.

#17 15 days ago

A-team

77904-2 (resized).jpg77904-2 (resized).jpg
#18 15 days ago

If Hogan's Heroes counts, what about F-Troop?

#19 15 days ago

No Black Sheep Squadron?

#20 15 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No Black Sheep Squadron?

I seem to recall a show called “Baa Baa Black Sheep” about a squadron of Corsairs (I think) in WWII. Maybe it was this?

#21 15 days ago

C.P.O. Sharkey

#22 15 days ago

Operation Petticoat! Not the best of shows, but did feature Jamie Lee Curtis, as Lieutenant Duran.

IMG_0181 (resized).jpegIMG_0181 (resized).jpeg

#23 15 days ago

My old man was Green Beret, man did he fucking love Tour of duty. That one with the Stones tune as the opening song, Paint it black. Oh the childhood memories, between that and hearing him and his drinking buddies yelling "Charlie don't surf" while watching Apacolypse Now before school..lol!

#24 15 days ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I seem to recall a show called “Baa Baa Black Sheep” about a squadron of Corsairs (I think) in WWII. Maybe it was this?

That was the title of the first season, then they changed it to Black Sheep Squadron. Great show.

#25 15 days ago

I have added a poll with all the suggestions in the order they came in. A lot of great ones, and some I've never seen.

You can vote for as many as you like.

#26 15 days ago

I'm surprised its close, MASH by a mile. How about a best game show thread?

#28 15 days ago

MASH was a great show and definitely qualifies, but seen them all and I'll admit I'm tired of it and change the channel every time it comes on now.

I prefer military shows that have actual battles and fighting which is why I love Combat! The cast is great and so are all the guest stars they had over the years. The sets and situations are realistic and so are the people talking in their actual languages like German and French.

The list of guest stars is too long to post here, but scroll down this link a little bit and you will see what I mean. It's like a who's who of everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat!

#29 14 days ago

I know those dudes!
e28533e5afeb6f07961740c7010cf53a (resized).jpge28533e5afeb6f07961740c7010cf53a (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg400px-Combat_Vendetta_Enfield (resized).jpg400px-Combat_Vendetta_Enfield (resized).jpgcombat-lee-marvin-tom-lowell-vic-morrow (resized).jpgcombat-lee-marvin-tom-lowell-vic-morrow (resized).jpg

bccba764d474dc044acd4f4d2703e0de (resized).jpgbccba764d474dc044acd4f4d2703e0de (resized).jpg

ted-knight (resized).jpgted-knight (resized).jpg

#30 14 days ago

If you're talking TV war dramas, nothing beats "Band of Brothers". But I'm more of a "World at War" documentary guy.

If you're going that route, you can't leave out Ken Burns....

The Civil War
The War
The Vietnam War

Mandatory viewing for anyone with a pulse. Simply outstanding. All of them. The War is the one I rewatch the most though.

Also the PBS Doc "American Experience: The Battle of Chosin". That one really shook me, I had no knowledge of it until I watched it.

#31 14 days ago

Combat and Seal team and McHales Navy,Sgt Bilco

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#32 14 days ago

CPA Sharpey? or did you mean CPO Sharkey?

Glad to see you included 12 O'Clock High. Good series, but not as Good as the Movie it's based on though.

#33 14 days ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Glad to see you included 12 O'Clock High. Good series, but not as Good as the Movie it's based on though.

My older brother always watched it and I caught up on 12 O'Clock High recently. Movie is certainly the best.

Robert Lansing played the main guy in the first season of the TV show only. And I like the way they brought back Paul Burke to replace him who had been in one of the first episodes.

Plenty of guest stars on that show as well.

MV5BYWY0NDU3NmItMzQ5Ny00ZWMwLWJlNzQtNDI3M2Y2MzVmMWE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXN3aWZ0dw@@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BYWY0NDU3NmItMzQ5Ny00ZWMwLWJlNzQtNDI3M2Y2MzVmMWE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXN3aWZ0dw@@._V1_ (resized).jpgPaul_Burke_Twelve_OClock_High_1965 (resized).JPGPaul_Burke_Twelve_OClock_High_1965 (resized).JPG
#34 14 days ago

USMC veteran here. It's Band Of Brothers. Clips were shown to Junior Officers to explain certain concepts. If you are only going to watch one episode watch episode 2. It's on Netflix. Only thing that comes close is the first half of Full Metal Jacket.

#35 14 days ago

CPA Sharpey? or did you mean CPO Sharkey?

Oops.

And Band Of Brothers is one I haven't seen yet. Perhaps it was on a pay channel that I didn't want to pay for.

#36 14 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oops.
And Band Of Brothers is one I haven't seen yet. Perhaps it was on a pay channel that I didn't want to pay for.

Band of Brothers is a must watch.
Than watch the Pacific. Both excellent!

#37 14 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

How about a best game show thread?

I suppose we could do westerns next.

I've got a whole slew of them.

#38 14 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

...Robert Lansing played the main guy in the first season of the TV show only. [quoted image][quoted image]

Robert Lansing Played General Frank Savage. Many people will remember him as Gary Seven in the third season episode of Star Trek "Assignment Earth" (with co-star Teri Garr).

#39 14 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

... How about a best game show thread?

The 1970's version of Match Game hands down, thread over!

Quoted from o-din:

I suppose we could do westerns next.
I've got a whole slew of them.

How 'bout "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."? That could also be in the Best Sci-Fi Series thread.

#40 14 days ago

How 'bout "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."?

The coming thing!

#41 14 days ago

And Does "Space: Above and Beyond" count as Sci-Fi, Military, or both?

#42 14 days ago

And Does "Space: Above and Beyond" count as Sci-Fi, Military, or both?

You gotta draw the line somewhere...I mean All Star Treks are heavily military.

#43 14 days ago

Cannot believe I did not see this- as soon as I did - easy choice for me Combat! (glad too see it was listed first!)
Besides all the highlights that O-din gave you with the cast- I'll highlight: Robert Altman directed 10 episodes of this series (He also directed M*A*S*H (Original movie) as well as many other great television and film directors. One standout episode was "The Duel" where the entire episode is Sgt Saunders harassing an enemy tank alone. I've always assumed Speilberg was basing his film "Duel" in part on this episode.

RA (resized).jpgRA (resized).jpg
#44 14 days ago

China Beach?

#45 14 days ago

12 O'clock High is also great but I can see that show not being for everyone.

#46 14 days ago

Watching Masters of the Sky presently. Excellent!

#47 14 days ago

Robert Lansing Played General Frank Savage. Many people will remember him as Gary Seven in the third season episode of Star Trek "Assignment Earth" (with co-star Teri Garr).

12 O' Clock High also starred Frank Overton who many remember from Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and perhaps even Perry Mason.

MV5BZTJlMjcxODAtYWYwNi00OGQzLWJhYjktYTI4MTE0OTdkZjliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1MjUwNTk@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BZTJlMjcxODAtYWYwNi00OGQzLWJhYjktYTI4MTE0OTdkZjliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1MjUwNTk@._V1_ (resized).jpgScreenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.18.06?PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.18.06?PM (resized).png
#48 14 days ago
Quoted from Whistles:

One standout episode was "The Duel" where the entire episode is Sgt Saunders harassing an enemy tank alone. I've always assumed Speilberg was basing his film "Duel" in part on this episode.

Another standout episode was "The Farmer" with Dennis Weaver. You might recognize him from the movie "Duel".

MV5BZTRjMWY2M2EtZDRhMS00ZmYzLWJjNmQtNDQ2YTk1OTM3MTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2ODUxNTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpgMV5BZTRjMWY2M2EtZDRhMS00ZmYzLWJjNmQtNDQ2YTk1OTM3MTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2ODUxNTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
#49 14 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Another standout episode was "The Farmer" with Dennis Weaver. You might recognize him from the movie "Duel".[quoted image]

... and McCloud and Gunsmoke.

#50 14 days ago

H&I channel is doing its war heroes thing tonight like they do every Saturday. It might conflict with MeTV a bit, but two episodes of Black Sheep Squadron before Svengoolie comes on and at 10 I switch back for two episodes of Combat! .

By midnight, it's either leave it on Rat Patrol or switch to Kolchak depending on when I pass out.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-military-tv-series-of-all-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.