Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by retroware99
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.
    #1401 35 days ago
    Quoted from MarkRan:

I'm a first-time PinSound owner and just installed a new PinSound Neo in my Data East Star Wars. It works but the sound is pretty jarring. The high-end is shrill and piercing while the mid-range such as voice callouts is low volume and muddy. The bass out of the cabinet sub is good. I'm using the "SWDE Original Trilogy Ultimate Orchestration" which is highly regarded by users in the DE Star Wars Club. In fact, I bought the PinSound because I've been running this same sound pack on my virtual pincab from a PC through a $20 amp to cheap speakers very similar to those in the Data East cab (4" backbox and a 5" mini sub) and it sounds great (ie full frequency range).
    Plugging headphones directly into the Neo also sounds substantially better in terms of the high-end/mid-range imbalance, so I ordered a pair of $70 4" Kicker back box speakers which have gotten good reviews here on Pinside as upgrade speakers to replace the Data East originals. The new speakers have very slightly better overall quality but the same issues with shrill high-end and weak mid-range persist so I suspect it's something to do with the amplifier on the Neo. The audio sounds wrong in a similar way to when a crossover is set at the wrong frequency or something like that. I don't think so many DESW/PinSound owners would be raving about this sound pack if they were hearing what this Neo board is putting out. And most of them have original OEM speakers too.
    * Is the crossover something that's under user control?
    * I think the sound pack was probably created on an earlier model of PinSound. Do sound packs need to be modified to sound correct through the Neo's amplifier?
    * I understand it's possible to edit the sound pack and I assume I could try applying equalization to fix what the amp is doing to the sound but it seems odd I'd need to do this (and perhaps I'd be wasting time correcting the original source files when the issue is really in the configuration or hardware). Is there some easy overall equalization parameter I could adjust in the sound pack as an experiment or is the only way to edit each audio file individually?
    We were so excited to get our beloved DESW playing the original John Williams score (like our Vpin cab) in time for hosting league night in a couple weeks, so this has been really disappointing. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

I bought the Plus version as well due to the EQ.

With that said, I'd suggest you contact Pinsound support. Include pictures of the installation and the Pinsound diagnostic file that it creates on the USB stick.

Let them know what you're experiencing and I'm sure they will try to resolve the issue. I'm not sure if it's something they can adjust in the firmware or not. But they do care that their equipment works as intended.

Nicolas from Pinsound has always responded within 24 hours when I've contacted them. There is a time difference so be patient.

https://www.pinsound.org/support/

#1402 35 days ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Unfortunately the NEO doesnt have the 6 band EQ like the pinsound plus.
    So you have ZERO control of the sound.
    I think a lot of people have the pinsound plus (myself included), the neo is kinda new and a little bit cheaper, but SADLY no EQ.
    You could send it back and trade it for a pinsound plus, or wire in a 7 band EQ:
    https://www.amazon.com/EX-Band-Equalizer-Guitar-Pedal/dp/B0876NBHRB

I didn't order the Plus because I didn't have a use for the additional features (headphones etc) and didn't think I'd need the EQ, since I already knew the only sound pack I'd ever use on this machine and it already sounded great on my VPin with no adjustments at all. I assumed the EQ was intended for users planning to switch between different sound packs or perhaps creating their own new packs whereas I'd planned to be a set-it-up-once, never-change-a-thing user of an already known and well-vetted pack.

I certainly never imagined that an authentic $330 PinSound card would sound *far worse* than a generic $20 USB sound card through a $20 2.1 no-name generic amp while playing the exact same file originally authored for a PinSound card.

The idea of adding an EQ downstream might be an easy/quick fix but I'm not clear on how that unit would be wired in between the Neo amp and the back box speakers. Does that EQ accept post-amp, speaker-level outputs or would I need to take the Neo line out to the EQ and then add an additional amplifier downstream of the EQ?

#1403 35 days ago
    Quoted from MarkRan:

I didn't order the Plus because I didn't have a use for the additional features (headphones etc) and didn't think I'd need the EQ, since I already knew the only sound pack I'd ever use on this machine and it already sounded great on my VPin with no adjustments at all. I assumed the EQ was intended for users planning to switch between different sound packs or perhaps creating their own new packs whereas I'd planned to be a set-it-up-once, never-change-a-thing user of an already known and well-vetted pack.
    I certainly never imagined that an authentic $330 PinSound card would sound *far worse* than a generic $20 USB sound card through a $20 2.1 no-name generic amp while playing the exact same file originally authored for a PinSound card.
    The idea of adding an EQ downstream might be an easy/quick fix but I'm not clear on how that unit would be wired in between the Neo amp and the back box speakers. Does that EQ accept post-amp, speaker-level outputs or would I need to take the Neo line out to the EQ and then add an additional amplifier downstream of the EQ?

As a weak comparison, buying a stereo system is generally not "turn key" (expensive or not).

People who have only listened to AM radio may not like stereo etc.

They include treble and bass knobs and balance control, for one to adjust to their liking.

This concept is in play, with the pinsound.

It would be difficult to make every single soundtrack, (played with the entire gamut of speaker systems including the wide variety of subwoofer systems that one could buy), sound the way that you personally would like.

My advise is to trade the Neo version in and get the plus version.

That said, pinsound isnt for everyone.

#1404 34 days ago
    Quoted from MarkRan:

I'm a first-time PinSound owner and just installed a new PinSound Neo in my Data East Star Wars. It works but the sound is pretty jarring. The high-end is shrill and piercing while the mid-range such as voice callouts is low volume and muddy. The bass out of the cabinet sub is good. I'm using the "SWDE Original Trilogy Ultimate Orchestration" which is highly regarded by users in the DE Star Wars Club. In fact, I bought the PinSound because I've been running this same sound pack on my virtual pincab from a PC through a $20 amp to cheap speakers very similar to those in the Data East cab (4" backbox and a 5" mini sub) and it sounds great (ie full frequency range).
    Plugging headphones directly into the Neo also sounds substantially better in terms of the high-end/mid-range imbalance, so I ordered a pair of $70 4" Kicker back box speakers which have gotten good reviews here on Pinside as upgrade speakers to replace the Data East originals. The new speakers have very slightly better overall quality but the same issues with shrill high-end and weak mid-range persist so I suspect it's something to do with the amplifier on the Neo. The audio sounds wrong in a similar way to when a crossover is set at the wrong frequency or something like that. I don't think so many DESW/PinSound owners would be raving about this sound pack if they were hearing what this Neo board is putting out. And most of them have original OEM speakers too.
    * Is the crossover something that's under user control?
    * I think the sound pack was probably created on an earlier model of PinSound. Do sound packs need to be modified to sound correct through the Neo's amplifier?
    * I understand it's possible to edit the sound pack and I assume I could try applying equalization to fix what the amp is doing to the sound but it seems odd I'd need to do this (and perhaps I'd be wasting time correcting the original source files when the issue is really in the configuration or hardware). Is there some easy overall equalization parameter I could adjust in the sound pack as an experiment or is the only way to edit each audio file individually?
    We were so excited to get our beloved DESW playing the original John Williams score (like our Vpin cab) in time for hosting league night in a couple weeks, so this has been really disappointing. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

I would try another sound file to see if it acts the same way. You can run multiple files on the same USB stick and use the volume knob to switch between them. If they all sound bad I'd recheck where you plugged everything in on the board (especially CN4)

Hope this helps

2 weeks later
    #1405 17 days ago
    Quoted from MarkRan:

What's curious is that I have almost the exact same problem with a recently purchased pinsound plus installed in a T2. Both the original soundpack and a 'remastered' one sound somewhat worse than the original sound board. The biggest issue is voice callouts being over powered by the background music. No amount of fiddling with EQ seems to make it better. I rewired my speakers for 2.1 stereo and this seemed to help a bit but sill less than ideal.

Newer orchestrations sound appreciably better. I believe those use an Arnold impersonator for the voice callouts which seem, when listened to in isolation, to be a lot cleaner than the original callouts.

Similar to the OP, I wonder if there was a design/software change that affected the older orchestrations.

There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.