Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 days ago by Juicerc51
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 20 days ago

I have a problem with the flippers on a data east Last Action Hero. I cannot have two flippers going at once. If I press left flipper it works but then the right will not. If i press the right then the left wont work. They will both flip and hold on their own. I have tried both the original flipper board and a rottendog and they both do the same thing. Im not sure where to start here.

#2 20 days ago

It's been a while since I saw this one!

Your Solid State Flipper Board 520-5070-00 has a problem. I'm currently at one in five replacement rottendog solid state flipper boards having problems when brand new.

The schematics for your game are here:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1416/Data_East_1993_Last_Action_Hero_Schematics_BW.pdf

PDF page 20 has the schematic for the Solid State Flipper Board.

As always with ANY problem with Data East flippers of this age, get yourself Qty 3 180-5124-00 End of Stroke Switches, and if you don't use them, throw them in the bottom of the game. You'll need them eventually, and when I have two Data East flippers, I frequently by the end of the troubleshooting have used three new EOS switches.

This flipper design can be a battle. The EOS switches cause a flipper to fail to activate, so it's possible that your problem is EOS switch related... but this specific problem for me was a bad flipper board.

In your situation, I'd do this:

Install the Rottendog board you have.

Take an alligator clip, and clip one end on a switch terminal for your right flipper EOS. Use the other end of the alligator clip to clip to the other terminal of that same EOS switch. This shorts out the EOS switch, and makes SURE that it is registering as a solidly closed switch to the Solid State Flipper board.

Test your flippers. Make sure the LED's light up perfectly on the board when the flipper buttons on the side of the cabinet are pressed.

If the flipper starts working perfectly when the EOS is bypassed, I don't fiddle with that EOS switch anymore. I replace it, and adjust the new switch VERY CAREFULLY, to be very, very tightly closed, and when the flipper bat is raised to have an opening about the thickness of a dime between the contacts.

It's handy to have a switch adjustment tool for this, because the blades on these EOS switches cannot be mangled, and your typical needle nosed pliers will mangle the switch.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=switch+adjuster

Some facts about your Solid State Flipper board. The board will work fine with the alligator clips across the EOS switch. But when the ball hits a flipper bat that is raised, it will knock the bat down, and the game won't know, and won't raise the flipper bat back up. So alligator clipping across the EOS switches will restore operation to a flipper (provided your board is good), but not proper operation. I've left the alligator clips in place while I wait for replacement EOS switches to arrive.

My board was bad, and caused this symptom. As I remember it, I strongly believed that I had to have some other problem because my Rottendog board was new... and it was a bad Rottendog board.

I'd double down on the cheaper possibility, that you have a maddeningly common Data East EOS problem, but if you still have problems with the EOS switches bypassed, and the flipper buttons are lighting LED's on the Solid State Flipper board, suspect that you've got a bad board.

#3 18 days ago

Thank you for the info. I will dig into the EOS switches.

The rottendog board i have i replaced the transistors as directed on pinside. They were wrong when i received it. I believe it was q1, q2 and q3 i replaced. The problem is there with both boards so I'm hoping its the switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lah-flipper-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.