You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4129 (resized).jpg
IMG_4130 (resized).jpg
#1 10 days ago

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend’s family has a Williams Comet (Williams System 9), and it is having a couple sound issues.

Sometimes after some heavy playing, the sound will suddenly get very quiet and be washed out by a strong hum. This seems to go away after letting the machine cool down for a bit.

Additionally, while the music and some sound effects work fine, others don’t work at all (such as the “Hey Turkey! Hit me!” sound).

Attached are images of the CPU board and the Speech Board. When it come to the sound on these System 9 games, I’m not really sure what the sound board takes care of (which is built into the CPU board) vs what the speech board takes care of. So, if anyone has a good form post or link detailing the relationship, please let me know.

Anyway, do you guys have thoughts on how I can fix these issues? I’m thinking I could replace components on the CPU board, replace components on the Speech Board, but a new ROM (for the speech board?), or even just buy a new speech board here: http://pinballpcb.com/products/replacement-system-6-7-9-speech-board/

Thanks!

IMG_4129 (resized).jpgIMG_4129 (resized).jpgIMG_4130 (resized).jpgIMG_4130 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Poolville, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.