Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,780 posts
  • 446 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 11.24.42?AM (resized).png
    _86226683_86226682 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2157 (resized).jpeg
    220px-RavenPoster (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    02 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8143532_0 (resized).png
    airaidrill (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.15.17 AM (resized).jpg
    hq720 (resized).jpg
    1982_Ford_EXP_front.jpg
    IMG_5469 (resized).jpeg
    kOIZE-1587048692-1459-lists-deepdive_adiosjohnnybravo (resized).jpg
    gty_pet_rock_150401 (resized).jpg
    4cd7f9f90454937a95c46d1c8fafeca7 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3336 2 years ago

You know you are old when your favorite series to watch on Netflix is the Kominski Method about two old guys and you can identify with some of their issues.

1 month later
    #3358 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I did well in school, but I hated school, bored the crap out of me.

I guess we are not all cut from the same mold.
    When I was in college, I hoped that it would never end.
    I made good grades, rode a bicycle to class and all I had to do was study and stay out of trouble.
    I loved learning new things and I did not have a care in the world.
    No bills, no responsibilities, no commitments, just living every day to the fullest.
    Now, I have to work every day and I have responsibilities for all kinds of things.
    I wish I could just go back to school and start over again.
    No chance of that ever happening, because I would never be able to meet all my commitments.
    That is when you know that you are getting old.

#3396 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You know you're old when as silly as you once thought it was, you now think it's probably a good idea to wear a helmet when riding your bicycle.
    Then, you say to yourself, "maybe I shouldn't be riding a bicycle anymore anyway."

I said the same thing about my motorcycle "maybe I shouldn't be riding a motorcycle anymore"... Except I have always used a helmet on that machine.

#3409 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

You know you are old when you remember the transition from vinyl to "cutting edge technology" CD's, and now CD's are considered vintage items.

You forgot cassette tape and reel to reel.

1 month later
    #3519 2 years ago

You know you are getting old when your daughter tells you that you are turning into your father with your eating habits and other general mannerisms.
    My father passed away in 2013.

#3520 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Speaking of gas cans, how many remember when people used to take 1 gallon glass jugs to the station and fill them with gas?

I still watch garage sales for older gas cans in good shape.
    These new 5 gallon plastic gas cans with the safety interlock on the spout are a pain and I refuse to use them.
    Perhaps that makes me old or just cantankerous in general.
    It is difficult to me to ascertain what is "getting old" and what is just generally making me upset with new innovations.

#3522 2 years ago

My wife is not strong enough to hold the weight of a 5 gallon gas can and simultaneously hold an interlock button.
    That makes it where I am the only person that gets to use the stupid thing and I hate it and refuse to use it.
    The whole situation becomes dangerous to the point where gas can be spilled and is just stupid.
    Our government at work to "improve" our lives.
    If that makes me old, so be it.

#3535 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you see one of these and you get excited. I’d love to find an old 10-13” color TV with a good tube. Must have knobs!
    [quoted image]

My father had a TV like this for years. He refused to purchase a TV with a remote control. He said that it was not required and a waste of money. Whenever he wanted to change the channel, he just ordered me to get up and make the appropriate adjustments. I became an expert at tuning in local UHF channels at a very young age.

#3546 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m a Quasar man, myself. I’m pretty sure we had this exact model.

I was the kid that used to look around the block and check out the trash pile to see if any TV's or other electronic devices were put out. I would bring them back home, take them apart and extract all electronic parts and pieces that were not damaged. I kept the components in a file cabinet to use for any projects that I might want to build. I also repaired our TV from time to time. I recall building an phone answering machine out of some of those junk pieces before that type of device was available to purchase. That one used a 300 baud modem that fit the muffs on the phone and I ran a BBS (bulletin board system) that ran on BASIC on my home computer. I recall purchasing a Hayes 1200 baud auto answer modem and thought it was a fantastic device to replace my jumble of electronics. When the internet got started, I thought it was a fad that would pass, just like cell phones. I also thought that AOL was a complete waste of money when you could just make a local phone call to a computer and send messages over packet communication with a modem. That probably makes me realize that I am old.

#3551 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Who remembers no buckles.
    LTG : )

My father passed away in 2013, but he still refused to wear a seat belt until the day he died.
    He told me that I could wear one if I wanted to.

1 year later
    #5227 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I told my son about retread tires last week. I always drove on my tires until they went bald and blew out. As a high school fast food worker kid, buying a $35 tire to replace a bad one made a lot of sense. I remember that after a while, the metal strands would start showing. I always spent the bare minimum on safety when I was a teenager.

My family used to refer to these tires as brand "maypop". They were economical.

#5231 1 year ago

Yeah, I get to tell kids to get off my lawn now. Like on Gran Torino...

#5237 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

... you remember back when you were playing a pinball and somebody wanted to be next in line to play after you, they'd place a US half penny on the glass.

Wow, that's before my time. A half penny is valuable coin these days. What I remember is holders along the bottom to place quarters in a line, and someone would say "I'm next" or "I'm down". And you have to stand around and watch to make sure that no one stole your place in line or your quarter(s).

4 months later
    #5481 1 year ago

You know that you are getting old when you have trouble reaching the floor to pick something up. It really hits home when you pick something up with great difficulty and the seam of your pants rips at the same location that a previous pair of pants ripped at the same location under indentical conditions.

1 month later
    #5595 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Well, I microwaved my first empty cup of coffee today. Excuse me while I try to draw an analog clock…

Don't feel bad, I toasted without toast the other day. I was surprised when it popped up and there was no toast.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=Dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.